Portable Hammock Set

SkinnyCow

Hey guys! Im super excited for my first cruise. Im departing on Feb. 15 2018 on the Anthem of the Seas. I will be on deck 6 cabin 628. I wanted to bring This along

to put in the balcony and I was wondering if anyone has done this or knows if this will fit. Thanks so much!

Edited by SkinnyCow

You can probably bring some hardware (c-clamps and rope and the like) and hook up the hammock part itself to parts of the ship railings, etc., but definitely don't bring the whole stand.  

Try searching for your ship and the word hammock to see if anything comes up.  I've seen threads before on the Royal Caribbean board where people showed what parts of the balcony were strong enough to support the weight.  Alternately, look on YouTube for video tours of balconies on your ship to see if there is anywhere appropriate to hook up your hammock.  

This is the sort of idea which seems (at first thought) not as bad as it really is.  Before pursuing, make sure that you know the exact dimensions of your balcony and the longest length and width requirements of the metal stand.  There is a fair chance that it will not fit.  Also - forget the notion of finding some way of hanging it on your own — there will not be random hooks, or other fittings, strong enough and in the right position to hang it without the stand.

26 minutes ago, pf778c said:

And I sometime bogle when cruisers talk of lugging cases of water and soda onboard - a 35 lb. hammock???  I'm guessing you can drive to/from the port and it's roundtrip.

lol yea i live 10 minutes away from the board and my sister in law is dropping us off and picking us up so thats not an issue for us 🙂 

2 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

This is the sort of idea which seems (at first thought) not as bad as it really is.  Before pursuing, make sure that you know the exact dimensions of your balcony and the longest length and width requirements of the metal stand.  There is a fair chance that it will not fit.  Also - forget the notion of finding some way of hanging it on your own — there will not be random hooks, or other fittings, strong enough and in the right position to hang it without the stand.

i have actually seen my exact room and there is a way to have it hooked up to some metal beams on our balcony, i just felt this would be a safer alternative IF it fits. The issue is that i can not find the dimensions of the balcony.

28 minutes ago, brillohead said:

You can probably bring some hardware (c-clamps and rope and the like) and hook up the hammock part itself to parts of the ship railings, etc., but definitely don't bring the whole stand.  

Try searching for your ship and the word hammock to see if anything comes up.  I've seen threads before on the Royal Caribbean board where people showed what parts of the balcony were strong enough to support the weight.  Alternately, look on YouTube for video tours of balconies on your ship to see if there is anywhere appropriate to hook up your hammock.  

i have seen the room and there are metal beams to attach clamps and rope. I just thought this might be a safer alternative if it fit. 🙂 I saw lots of people hanging them on RC cruises. It looks great, im just worried about the safety aspect.

4 minutes ago, SkinnyCow said:

i have seen the room and there are metal beams to attach clamps and rope. I just thought this might be a safer alternative if it fit. 🙂 I saw lots of people hanging them on RC cruises. It looks great, im just worried about the safety aspect.

The metal beams are part of the infrastructure of the ship -- very durable!  That's what I see used the most -- c-clamps and carabiners on the beams.

I would NOT use the partition dividers to hang from, though, unless you can be certain of their structural integrity.  

You would have to make sure it is fireproof/retardant, as you can't leave anything on the balcony that is not.  Product info says it is 100% cotton, so you would have to bring it inside whenever you are not on the balcony.  Fire safety regulations.  EM

2 hours ago, SkinnyCow said:

Try to visualize a hammock - you do not want to curl up inside a hanging bag.

Even if there were strong fittings capable of supporting your weight, they would have to be ten or so feet apart for the hammock to give you enough of a flat surface to be comfortable.

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

You would have to make sure it is fireproof/retardant, as you can't leave anything on the balcony that is not.  Product info says it is 100% cotton, so you would have to bring it inside whenever you are not on the balcony.  Fire safety regulations.  EM

Maybe you would have to bring it in, and maybe not. I seriously doubt that the cabin steward would have any way of testing the hammock to see if it's fire retardant. What's he going to do, hold a lit match under it to see what happens? The item may be 100% cotton, but it could also be treated with something by the manufacturer to make it fire retardant. 

1 hour ago, beachbum53 said:

Maybe you would have to bring it in, and maybe not. I seriously doubt that the cabin steward would have any way of testing the hammock to see if it's fire retardant. What's he going to do, hold a lit match under it to see what happens? The item may be 100% cotton, but it could also be treated with something by the manufacturer to make it fire retardant. 

No, they would not test it with a match, you would have to prove that there was a flame retardant chemical treatment done, this may be on the product label, it may not.  We had to have certification of flame retardant treatment for cut Christmas trees the ship brought on, its not a silly request.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Try to visualize a hammock - you do not want to curl up inside a hanging bag.

Even if there were strong fittings capable of supporting your weight, they would have to be ten or so feet apart for the hammock to give you enough of a flat surface to be comfortable.

I don't think you understand how hammocks work.....

8 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I don't think you understand how hammocks work.....

I understand very well how a hammock works.  I am not certain that OP does.

I suggest you re-read my post: for a hammock to be more than a hanging bag, you need a good distance between the two points from which it is hung.  I repeat:  “try to visualize a hammock”.

15 hours ago, SkinnyCow said:

Hey guys! Im super excited for my first cruise. Im departing on Feb. 15 2018 on the Anthem of the Seas. I will be on deck 6 cabin 628. I wanted to bring This along

to put in the balcony and I was wondering if anyone has done this or knows if this will fit. Thanks so much!

I just looked at Anthem’s deck plans. There is no cabin 628 - all cabins on deck 6 have four digit numbers — and most seem to have 55 sq. ft. balconies — which would be tight for a hammock.

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I just looked at Anthem’s deck plans. There is no cabin 628 - all cabins on deck 6 have four digit numbers — and most seem to have 55 sq. ft. balconies — which would be tight for a hammock.

The deck number is the first number so its 6628 🙂