AARP E-Gift Cards

DebbieMo

3 hours ago, DebbieMo said:

You’re probably right. 

I actually got my cards this time from Allstate and it’s been great. They do reserve their e-gift cards for members.

I’m actually locked out of AARP right now 😞. Used a promo code someone shared and it was supposed to be a 1 time use even though the site allowed it they locked my acct. I just need 1 more $500 for this yrs cruise and I’m set so I’m not concerned.

Thank you for the link. The other thread I was following got deleted, I think because of the same promo code fiasco.

Uh oh, you were one of the ones caught up in the "magic code" mess. Did you use the code more than once? There's a thread discussing that after people started getting locked out, but I don't think it's the one that got deleted. Some people had luck contacting AARP and getting their accounts unlocked, minus the fraudulent points. I think someone mentioned theirs was unlocked but all of their points were removed, including ones earned prior to the bad code. I think they should unlock them and just remove any points from that code. We can see our code entry history, so I'm sure they can too. I didn't actually see the post from the person giving everyone the code, but I doubt I would've used it. It sounded too much like something you'd get from a shady website exploiting a security flaw, and I avoid stuff like that.

51 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

Uh oh, you were one of the ones caught up in the "magic code" mess. Did you use the code more than once? There's a thread discussing that after people started getting locked out, but I don't think it's the one that got deleted. Some people had luck contacting AARP and getting their accounts unlocked, minus the fraudulent points. I think someone mentioned theirs was unlocked but all of their points were removed, including ones earned prior to the bad code. I think they should unlock them and just remove any points from that code. We can see our code entry history, so I'm sure they can too. I didn't actually see the post from the person giving everyone the code, but I doubt I would've used it. It sounded too much like something you'd get from a shady website exploiting a security flaw, and I avoid stuff like that.

Looks like there are quite a few people locked out for now. I called and emailed and am still locked out. They said they are investigating right now and would send info as it becomes available. I think the whole thread where the two "magic" codes were mentioned is gone. It disappeared about the same time the accounts were locked.

Edited by n6uqqq
  • Like 1

I’m locked out too for using one of the codes  @Saint Greg provided. I was stupid for using it since one I didn’t even need to and two it didn’t feel like the right thing to do when I was doing it but lesson learned. I was wrong and I’ve taken my punishment of being locked out. I’m not calling or emailing, it is what it is. 

As annoyed as I am with myself, I’m also annoyed at @Saint Greg lack of response to all those that posted about being locked out after they used his code. A simple “sorry guys” would’ve went a long way, but to keep posting on these boards without any acknowledgement of the trouble he set in motion is just wrong in my opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

I’m locked out too for using one of the codes  @Saint Greg provided. I was stupid for using it since one I didn’t even need to and two it didn’t feel like the right thing to do when I was doing it but lesson learned. I was wrong and I’ve taken my punishment of being locked out. I’m not calling or emailing, it is what it is. 

As annoyed as I am with myself, I’m also annoyed at @Saint Greg lack of response to all those that posted about being locked out after they used his code. A simple “sorry guys” would’ve went a long way, but to keep posting on these boards without any acknowledgement of the trouble he set in motion is just wrong in my opinion.

Last week was a long week for me. I probably worked 80 hours between Tuesday and Friday. Sleep is something I didn't get much of. With what time I did have for this board, I certainly didn't have the patience to put up with posts like the above. I am sorry that I shared the fact that the code could be used multiple times. If I hadn't the impact may been so small that it could have gone unnoticed and my account wouldn't have been locked. That's what I get for trying to help. Obviously I had no idea they'd do that. I would've thought the worst that could happen is they'd remove the extra points.

You can call AARP, play dumb, and maybe they'll unlock you. I've heard they're doing some investigation and then they'll unlock the accounts when that's complete. In the meantime they aren't stopping anyone from creating new accounts. You just have to use a different email. I have 168k points on all state so I'm just going to wait it out and see what happens since I don't have an immediate need for AARP points. I'd definitely recommend all-state if you aren't using them. We get a ton of 1,000 points codes and share them (but only enter them once). It's a lot easier to build up points with them than it is AARP.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

That's pretty much how everyone felt...they did it to themselves, they took the blame. There were a couple people in another thread who blamed AARP, but they were about the only ones. They said they were members and contacted them to threaten to cancel their membership if their accounts and points weren't restored. If they cancel, I don't think AARP would consider it much of a loss.

I understand how you feel. It may have been just a collection of virtual points in a rewards program, so to speak, but it was also people's time taken to accrue them and lead to the inability for some to purchase more cards they had intended to. It definitely caused some headaches. I don't think that person did it with malicious intent in mind. After all, we share Allstate codes, too. But as soon as someone says, "Use this code as much as you want," a red flag goes up for me and I avoid stuff like that because it can often lead to bad places. Lesson learned, I guess.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Last week was a long week for me. I probably worked 80 hours between Tuesday and Friday. Sleep is something I didn't get much of. With what time I did have for this board, I certainly didn't have the patience to put up with posts like the above. I am sorry that I shared the fact that the code could be used multiple times. If I hadn't the impact may been so small that it could have gone unnoticed and my account wouldn't have been locked. That's what I get for trying to help. Obviously I had no idea they'd do that. I would've thought the worst that could happen is they'd remove the extra points.

You can call AARP, play dumb, and maybe they'll unlock you. I've heard they're doing some investigation and then they'll unlock the accounts when that's complete. In the meantime they aren't stopping anyone from creating new accounts. You just have to use a different email. I have 168k points on all state so I'm just going to wait it out and see what happens since I don't have an immediate need for AARP points. I'd definitely recommend all-state if you aren't using them. We get a ton of 1,000 points codes and share them (but only enter them once). It's a lot easier to build up points with them than it is AARP.

I don't blame you at all. Well maybe 1 percent for tempting me 🤣 but I was stupid to think it would really work in the long run. I emailed and called hoping to come clean. Now I wait for a further email response they said they will send. I am sure this snagged many people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, n6uqqq said:

I don't blame you at all. Well maybe 1 percent for tempting me 🤣 but I was stupid to think it would really work in the long run. I emailed and called hoping to come clean. Now I wait for a further email response they said they will send. I am sure this snagged many people.

My code sharing days may be over...or maybe I’ll type up a disclaimer. Read the fine print.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

My code sharing days may be over...or maybe I’ll type up a disclaimer. Read the fine print.

I think it's safe to share Allstate codes because it seems a vast majority of those go out to everyone. No, not all of them, because I've seen some shared in the thread that I never received. But I'd say they send me 98-99% of the ones that are shared. If everyone gets them anywhere, I don't see the harm. I'd say the same goes for AARP codes that are emailed. I don't know the details about the code(s) in question, but if you didn't get them directly from AARP, that's where I think sharing becomes a problem.

57 minutes ago, MT_Sea_Cruisers said:

AARP also has Carnival Gift Cards in increments of $50 (in addition to $100 and $500)

I don't see that at all.

5 hours ago, n6uqqq said:

Looks like there are quite a few people locked out for now. I called and emailed and am still locked out. They said they are investigating right now and would send info as it becomes available. I think the whole thread where the two "magic" codes were mentioned is gone. It disappeared about the same time the accounts were locked.

Glad to hear you (and others) are still locked out. But only because I am also and was starting to wonder if I had to email them even though I have phoned. Some apparently reported being reinstated after emailing. Maybe so, maybe not. I’ll just wait then for now. I’m not into this “just create another account” to fool them again.

7 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

Unfortunately 😞. I actually didn’t get the code from this site, got it from another page I follow and found out accidentally on my own that they could be entered multiple times. I entered the same code multiple times because I was too lazy to enter the other ones people were posting. People posted about 20 other codes. I racked up about 50,000 points but didn’t use any because I had already ordered from Allstate. I guess in the back of my mind it felt sneaky and that should have prompted me to stop but I didn’t and so lesson learned the hard way. I’m hoping they just remove the points and let me keep my acct with my original points as I had over 100,000 before.

6 hours ago, n6uqqq said:

Yeah, I got the same answer about investigates. They couldn’t give me a straight answer on which terms of use I violated by using the code. The let this go on for a week then locked people out.

5 hours ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

I was stupid too because I don’t need the points either. I had about 100,000 fracked up from the last 3 years. I’m waiting it out also and have been using Allstate. Not even sure I really even need AARP.

I didn’t get my codes from this site but I don’t blame anyone. I don’t think they knew what would happen and don’t feel like they did it purposefully. They got locked out too!

oh well, lesson learned. I’m skeptical of any shared AARP code now because it seems like they can decide whenever that any code shared and used is “fraud”.

24 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

I’ll just wait then for now. I’m not into this “just create another account” to fool them again.

I don't look at it as fooling them by creating another account. It's a rewards program open to everyone (not just AARP members) and only requires a free account. But I get it, you don't want to feel like you're taking advantage. Nothing wrong with that. But if you're current account doesn't get unlocked, I wouldn't hesitate to make a new one. I don't know if their system is capable of red-flagging an account according to the person's real name and then could later identify you as someone who used the no no code. If it were me, I'd certainly try again. You can't get these discount cards just anywhere. Hard to pass up.

9 minutes ago, DebbieMo said:

They couldn’t give me a straight answer on which terms of use I violated by using the code.

I think the TOS says you cannot use a code more than once. Typically, the system doesn't even allow it, so they busted everyone on a technicality. Question is, was it simply a glitch in their system that allowed it to be entered more than once, or was it some form of hacked code that took advantage of a security flaw? The latter is why I avoid things like that.

6 minutes ago, DebbieMo said:

I was stupid too because I don’t need the points either. I had about 100,000 fracked up from the last 3 years. I’m waiting it out also and have been using Allstate. Not even sure I really even need AARP.

Allstate is nice because those promo codes get us so many more points in one shot. But they only come once/week, give or take. And the frequency at which I get AARP codes seemed to have decreased at some point last year, even though I didn't change anything. Then again, AARP offers the ability to earn points through the quizzes and allows up to 5,000/day. I think they're both handy to have.

5 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

It wasn’t shared just here so even if you hadn’t said it could be used multiple times doesn’t mean that it would have gone unnoticed. 

I feel like AARP messed, they claimed they were hacked to another person that called up but that isn’t our fault and we shouldn’t be punished. We didn’t hack their system.

8 minutes ago, DebbieMo said:

It wasn’t shared just here so even if you hadn’t said it could be used multiple times doesn’t mean that it would have gone unnoticed. 

I feel like AARP messed, they claimed they were hacked to another person that called up but that isn’t our fault and we shouldn’t be punished. We didn’t hack their system.

Yeah I think that’s exactly what we did by using that code whether we knew that or not.

16 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

I am sorry that I shared the fact that the code could be used multiple times. If I hadn't the impact may been so small that it could have gone unnoticed and my account wouldn't have been locked. That's what I get for trying to help. Obviously I had no idea they'd do that. I would've thought the worst that could happen is they'd remove the extra points.

For me, there is no need for you to apologize. For a brief moment you were a hero. 

No one to blame but myself. Like they say: If it seems too good to be true, it probably is...

• Like 1

On 1/22/2019 at 4:31 PM, DebbieMo said:

It’ll be ok just a little more planning ahead involved.

I ordered a few and it didn't take more than five days for each of them.  Yeah, personally I would prefer the e-cards too.  

6 hours ago, Shamrock73 said:

For me, there is no need for you to apologize. For a brief moment you were a hero. 

No one to blame but myself. Like they say: If it seems too good to be true, it probably is...

I think most everyone here agrees with this. I noticed today that my point total has been reduced to pre free for all number. Hopefully they will unlock it next 😉 . I can see my point total on the main aarp page but still cannot access rewards for good as of now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, n6uqqq said:

I think most everyone here agrees with this. I noticed today that my point total has been reduced to pre free for all number. Hopefully they will unlock it next 😉 . I can see my point total on the main aarp page but still cannot access rewards for good as of now.

Just checked and mine have been reduced as well.

On 1/22/2019 at 7:07 PM, DebbieMo said:

What I don’t understand is why you are going out of your way to be rude, I never even responded to you. And like I said before you even rudely responded, It’ll be ok just a little more planning ahead involved.

ETA: I stated it stinks because the e-gift cards were convenient and you come back with an inconvenience (2-3 days wait) which proves my point so I don’t get what you don’t understand.

Ignore is a beautiful feature. 🙂

On 3/26/2019 at 4:14 PM, Organized Chaos said:

I think it's safe to share Allstate codes because it seems a vast majority of those go out to everyone. No, not all of them, because I've seen some shared in the thread that I never received. But I'd say they send me 98-99% of the ones that are shared. If everyone gets them anywhere, I don't see the harm. I'd say the same goes for AARP codes that are emailed. I don't know the details about the code(s) in question, but if you didn't get them directly from AARP, that's where I think sharing becomes a problem.

I don't see that at all.

You are correct it is no longer there.  I just went to check and don't see $50 cards for Carnival any longer.  However I did notice that the $50 cards for celebrity are still available.

20 hours ago, n6uqqq said:

I noticed today that my point total has been reduced to pre free for all number. Hopefully they will unlock it next 😉 . I can see my point total on the main aarp page but still cannot access rewards for good as of now.

My point total has been reduced as well.

I signed into Rewards, took a quiz and was awarded points but then was unable to get to the screen to redeem them.