Booked 10:55am Flight after Carnival Magic cruise from FFL

Halayyee

Hi Cruise Critic Community!

Now that Southwest finally released the schedule of their flights through October, I finally was able to book our flights to and from our 8/31/2019 -9/8/2019 cruise on the Magic out of Ft. Lauderdale. The ship is scheduled to arrive back at FLL at 8am and I've booked our return flights home for 10:55. There's only two of us who need to disembark and get to the airport. We have global entry so we expect to move quickly through any security lines at FLL airport. The next direct flight out of FLL to the D.C. area isn't until 8pm that night and is more expensive. I'm pretty confident we'll make the 10:55 flight pending there is no issue with late arrival or the ship is held up with customs.

However I've been a nervous wreck today for some reason and can't stop thinking of worst case scenarios. Just wondering what everyone's experiences have been catching an early flight out of FLL airport after disembarking at Port Everglades?

Ship normally gets in around 6:00AM. I would consider 8:00AM a late arrival. If the ship arrives at 6:00AM it should be cleared to disembark passengers by 6:30AM and if you leave the ship with your luggage you will have plenty of time to make your flight. As long as Customs has enough officers on duty when the ship is cleared you are good to go. Ten minute cab ride to FLL seals the deal.

Just off Conquest on 2/2.   We were cleared to debark at 8 a.m., even though we ported around 6 a.m.  I would think that as long as the ship gets in on time you should be fine.  The lines when I left the ship at 9:15 a.m. were horrendously long in the customs area - but we have mobile passport, which uses the same line as global entry, and walked right up to the customs booth. Just stay to the right in the terminal - they will check that you have global entry/mobile passport before they let you proceed.

2 minutes ago, pe4all said:

Just off Conquest on 2/2.   We were cleared to debark at 8 a.m., even though we ported around 6 a.m.  I would think that as long as the ship gets in on time you should be fine.  The lines when I left the ship at 9:15 a.m. were horrendously long in the customs area - but we have mobile passport, which uses the same line as global entry, and walked right up to the customs booth. Just stay to the right in the terminal - they will check that you have global entry/mobile passport before they let you proceed.

Global entry FINALLY paying off at customs! Great! 

You will have no problem making that flight. To be on the safe side, I would carry your luggage off the ship.  I made a 10AM flight out of FLL debarking the Vista in Miami a few years ago -still had to wait around for over an hour at the airport!

Is there a special pick up point for Uber at the cruise port?   We usually just grab a cab, but last time we were there the cab driver wanted to wait and fill his van rather then just take three of us. 

I'd rather order an Uber when we dock, but not have to drag our bags too far from the pick up location.

We also have an 11:00 am flight.

37 minutes ago, cruisetexas said:

... cab driver wanted to wait and fill his van rather then just take three of us....

I'd be getting right back out and talk to the dispatcher.  it a per cab fare for I believe up to 3 people, certainly that for 2. 

I expect my cab to take me and only my party, its not a shared ride service.  Also at Port Everglades it is supposed to be metered service but watch them if the don't start the meter some will try to exaggerate the fare.

But a flight at that time should definitely be doable barring something strange happening

Edited by cruisegus

14 hours ago, cruisetexas said:

Is there a special pick up point for Uber at the cruise port?   We usually just grab a cab, but last time we were there the cab driver wanted to wait and fill his van rather then just take three of us. 

I'd rather order an Uber when we dock, but not have to drag our bags too far from the pick up location.

We were dropped off by uber at this port.  As soon as he dropped us off, he pulled up around 4 carlengths and picked up debarking passengers.   It is not too far to pull your bags from customs to the pickup point - very do-able.  It is just outside the terminal after you pass through customs.   It was closer than the taxi pickup point. 

We’ve made flights as early as 830am out of FLL and that was driving from the port of Miami. We were going to take a later flight but got to the airport so early that we were able to standby on the earlier one. 

15 hours ago, cruisetexas said:

I just asked one of the security people directing traffic. They pointed us in the right direction. Uber pick up is really close by.

the cruise is from the same port as your flight-- and this is a flight we would easily catch--  BUT remember this is part of peak hurricane season and weather can play havoc with your arrival / departure time with the cruise

Remember all luggage must be checked in ONE hour before your flight  so if you arrive at 58 minutes you are outta luck. 

Also remember that FLL is notorious for not allowing checking in before the 3 hour window for the cruise opens. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from our cruise, Conquest from FLL.

We did self assist, walked off the ship at 7:30.  We have Global Entry/Mobile Passport (free download of mobile passport which I HIGHLY recommend).  FLL is one of three cruise ports using this system, has a separate line at their customs location and we were the ONLY ones in it.  

We grabbed a cab, (about $18), and were sipping Starbucks by 8:45.  (We also have TSA pre-check as part of Global Entry).

Please note!!!   FLL does NOT allow you to check your bags until 4 hours before your departure time.  

Any questions, I'm happy to answer.

Susan