Confiscated Power Strip

MsSoCalCruiser

1 hour ago, Pickels said:

On this blog, it was noted that the attached was acceptable.

cord.jpg

I have that one and have used it for several cruises.  It isn't surge protected - that's an on / off switch.  I take along the specs from the Amazon page about it not being surge protected and "suitable for cruises" in case I am ever challenged.

7 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

I have that one and have used it for several cruises.  It isn't surge protected - that's an on / off switch.  I take along the specs from the Amazon page about it not being surge protected and "suitable for cruises" in case I am ever challenged.

I tried that in LA.

In my case.....they could care less what documentation a passenger has or what they have to say and it falls on deaf ears.

Best to put it in your luggage and not carry it on.

• Like 2

On 2/17/2019 at 4:05 PM, MsSoCalCruiser said:

And I always thought that I should put it in my carry-on so they wouldn’t question what was in my checked bag,

Carry on and pax are screened by contracted outside security companies. Training and knowledge of actual policies is questionable. Checked luggage is X-rayed on the ship by security staff. In the event of a questionable item, you'll come up missing a bag and and there will be an invitation to visit the "naughty room" (security). 

My thinking is that the security screeners are incorrectly assuming that all power strips have surge protectors built in.

Do they really have the time to closely look at each one? It's not like it's stamped "No Surge Protector" anywhere.

Edited by CineGraphic

12 hours ago, floridalover5623 said:

I believe you're confusing Princess with another cruise line.

I have yet to find even one on Princess.

Possible the Majestic might have them? 

After the last dry dock, the Pacific Princess now has USB ports in the base of the bedside table lamps. Still not plenty for my purposes although it's a start.

38 minutes ago, jlp20 said:

Carry on and pax are screened by contracted outside security companies. Training and knowledge of actual policies is questionable. Checked luggage is X-rayed on the ship by security staff. In the event of a questionable item, you'll come up missing a bag and and there will be an invitation to visit the "naughty room" (security). 

Checked luggage is screened in the terminal before it is brought onboard. 

6 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

After the last dry dock, the Pacific Princess now has USB ports in the base of the bedside table lamps. Still not plenty for my purposes although it's a start.

That's the first I've heard of it but at least they're aware that it's becoming a necessity for most people. 

On 2/18/2019 at 3:41 PM, Pickels said:

On this blog, it was noted that the attached was acceptable.

cord.jpg

This is exactly the one that I have and it was challenged at San Pedro last month.  The on/off switch posed a red flag for the screener.  I argued with him and explained that it didn't have a surge protector.  He finally took it to someone whom I assume was a supervisor and she gave him the okay to allow it.  I will definitely put it in my checked bag next time!

Edited by elycelynne

On 2/18/2019 at 6:42 PM, beg3yrs said:

We had them on the Star in September...very helpful. Too bad there isn't an electrical outlet on the lamp as well.

Good to know the Pacific has them, that's our next cruise.

On 2/18/2019 at 5:39 AM, lx200gps said:

Question: At San Pedro, who X-rays the "checked" luggage, Princess security or the port Rent-a-Cops? If port security mans both Xray stations (checked and carry-on), and are incorrectly confiscating non-surge protected power strips, would they not do the same if you have yours in your checked luggage? We'll be through San Pedro in a few weeks and plan to bring a simple power strip with us. We always leave it our luggage, but won't even bother bringing it with us if there's any chance they will steal it.

Regarding the comment that Princess Security returned the supposedly LEGAL power strip "...on the last day" was that also not a violation of the Princess rules? Should they not have returned it to you immediately as it was an allowed item, and not held it until the end of the trip?

Having been called to the port security luggage screening area long after boarding the ship to open my luggage to show them what they thought was a weapon, they won’t open your luggage and take anything. They make you walk off of the ship and do it in front of them. We didn’t pack a weapon. It was a souvenir that appeared that way in a scan. 

14 minutes ago, MaineCruiser243 said:

My impression is that LA/San Pedro is more picky than other ports. My wife carries a small fan and it got through in Houston and Port Everglades but was confiscated in San Pedro. Even though Princess claims small fans are allowed.

This is for sure. 

I sat and watched them (X-ray) during one embarkation and they were ripping any packaging off drinks if they were in a 12 or 24 pack etc. Shaking all the bottles looking for alcohol etc.

Several passengers were in heated discussions with terminal security at the checkpoint over confiscated items.

• Like 1