Prepaid tips vs cash

Just now, Cruiselover0426 said:

If they are working behind the scenes they are receiving a salary to do so. Tipping is for services rendered. 

Huh?  You don't even make sense.  I'm about done with this conversation. 

• Like 2

Just now, BNBR said:

I live in the United States of America and live by those customs. 

Lol.  And it's ME who is self-centered?

Yes actually, it is you.  You think your opinion is the law.  I don't care what you do or what you think, that is not going to change how I do things. Again, read it slow:  "tipping" - the act of giving an amount of money to someone who has provided a service,especially in a hotel or restaurant:

2 minutes ago, Cruiselover0426 said:

Yes actually, it is you.  You think your opinion is the law.  I don't care what you do or what you think, that is not going to change how I do things. Again, read it slow:  "tipping" - the act of giving an amount of money to someone who has provided a service,especially in a hotel or restaurant:

And in many land based establishments the people that receive the tips give a share to those who work behind the scenes helping them to help you. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Cruiselover0426 said:

Seems you are a little slow catching on.  Again, straight out of the dictionary: "tipping" - the act of giving an amount of money to someone who has provided a service,especially in a hotel or restaurant:

And those who work behind the scenes washing dishes, those who bus your table, etc. , don’t fall into that category?  In many restaurants the server you tip must “tip out” kitchen workers and those who bus the tables - sometimes runners who deliver food to the table. We’re you aware of that? Or maybe you don’t frequent restaurants at home so are unaware of the tipping culture and merely parrot dictionaries. 

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Cruiselover0426 said:

At the buffet you serve yourself.  That is one of my things about the auto tipping.  I get my own food, I get my own drinks, I'm not tipping anyone for that.  Why should I?  I'm not on the ship to pay the salaries of the people hired to prepare the food and maintain the buffet.  Tips are for services rendered to me.  That is my opinion.

Do you really go to buffets on land and not tip?! Are you bussing your own table and refilling food trays? Yes the gratuity is pooled and goes towards the staffs wages. If you don’t approve of the compensation structure on mainstream cruise lines, sale other lines. If enough people remove the charge, they will just raise it, so folks like myself have to pay more thanks to folks like you

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

And in many land based establishments the people that receive the tips give a share to those who work behind the scenes helping them to help you. 

Yes, they tip out.  You don't tip everyone yourself.  My cabin steward, server, assistant sever my "tip out" to whom ever they would like to.... just like we do at home. Assisting in paying employee salaries is not part of a vacation.  Tipping for services rendered is... just like at home.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, George C said:

Wish rccl would just embed the tips into the fare or just pay staff more .

They almost do already.  It's already added.  Just like when you go to a hotel and there is facility fees and other things beyond the fare.  The gratuities are added as part of the bill.

In fact, Royal even sets rules for when they can be removed:  "In the unlikely event that a guest onboard being charged the daily automatic gratuity does not receive satisfactory service, the guest may request to modify the daily amount at their discretion by visiting Guest Services onboard and will be able to do so until the morning of their departure. "

Only when you receive unsatisfactory service should they be removed.  Not "I don't like your customs" or any of that nonsense.  In reality, the guest services staff are just avoiding the hassle and just waiving gratuities for people like Cruiselover0426 because it's not worth it.  It's a courtesy.  And I'm sure the staff are thrilled with watching their income decline.  I'd be humiliated doing it, but some people are shameless apparently.

I think they should just make it a mandatory charge so people like this can't play dictionary games to try and justify their greed.

For what it's worth, Cruiselover is also defending their sharing of drinks.  All negative "RCCL is greedy" type nonsense posts.  Obviously just a troll.

Edited by BNBR
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, George C said:

Wish rccl would just embed the tips into the fare or just pay staff more .

The last 5 years has seen RCL stock go from $50 to over $120.  They have plenty of money and plenty of profit to be able to pay their employees better.  Royal is not very straight forward on gratuities but it is a huge cash cow for them in paying employees this way.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, springfire said:

The last 5 years has seen RCL stock go from $50 to over $120.  They have plenty of money and plenty of profit to be able to pay their employees better.  Royal is not very straight forward on gratuities but it is a huge cash cow for them in paying employees this way.  

That's not at all how it works.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Brew City G said:

Hi Guys, I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I just want to be positive before I do this on my next cruise. I have heard with pre paid tips, charged to your sea pass daily, don't nessecerrly  go to who you expect them to go to. I have heard tips are pooled and distributed to employees who "grade well in surveys", even on other cruises. Don't get me wrong, we always pre pay gratuities, and throw an extra $20 in an envelope for our stateroom attendant, head waiter and asst waiter, we also give the matride $10 bucks for clearing our table and asking us to dine in one of the pay restuarants.  We also tip $1.00 on every drink we get with the drink package, so we are not cheapskates. So if I go to customer service and ask to have my gratuities taken off my account, and then, give my stateroom attendant ( for a party of 4) $6.00 x 4 = $24.00 x7 = $168.00 + $20.00 (which we normally add on ) and ect for everyone else, would I be upsetting the apple cart? 

Let me know, and thanks in advance for your replies

Gratuities are optional - do what ever you want! 👍

#yourmoneyyourchoice

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, springfire said:

Obviously not a stockholder. In any event, almost all of the mainstream cruise lines operate the same way. Don’t think they rely on your approval to do so. Either play by the rules or choose a different vacation. 

9 minutes ago, gerif said:

Obviously not a stockholder. In any event, almost all of the mainstream cruise lines operate the same way. Don’t think they rely on your approval to do so. Either play by the rules or choose a different vacation. 

Not really sure what you mean by this statement.  First I am a stockholder which is why I know the value of the stock.  I use to take advantage of the stock benefit on cruises but they don't work so well anymore.  As for following the rules, we have choices on gratuities, no one way is the right way.   Royal gives us these choices, they don't say do it the way gerif does or go find another vacation.  You might prefer to prepay, use auto or have them removed, that is your choice.  So to each their own.

Edited by springfire

TBH, People who say they pay cash tips always has confused me.

Do you walk around distributing dollar bills daily like Daddy Warbucks, or do you take a photo and a a note of the name of each and every person who serves you over the 2 week cruise; and then spend the last day of the cruise on a hunt trying and find these people and reward them? 

This is a serious honest question. How do you do it? To me it seems like hard work.

LB- who always leaves the auto tips in place.  

12 minutes ago, springfire said:

Not really sure what you mean by this statement.  First I am a stockholder which is why I know the value of the stock.  I use to take advantage of the stock benefit on cruises but they don't work so well anymore.  As for following the rules, we have choices on gratuities, no one way is the right way.   Royal gives us these choices, they don't say do it the way gerif does or go find another vacation.  You might prefer to prepay, use auto or have them removed, that is your choice.  So to each their own.

Having them willy nilly removed is actually NOT a choice Royal gives you from a written/policy perspective.  It's a courtesy they do on the ship.  They absolutely say to prepay or leave them on as a daily service charge.  And only in the unlikely event you are unsatisfied with the service, then you can go to guest services and adjust them.  Nowhere does it say "If you don't like tipping, just remove them" or "If you prefer to tip in cash, just remove them."  Just because people get away with it because the cruiseline is customer focused and doesn't want to argue with guests, doesn't make it right to abuse that courtesy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, little britain said:

TBH, People who say they pay cash tips always has confused me.

Do you walk around distributing dollar bills daily like Daddy Warbucks, or do you take a photo and a a note of the name of each and every person who serves you over the 2 week cruise; and then spend the last day of the cruise on a hunt trying and find these people and reward them? 

This is a serious honest question. How do you do it? To me it seems like hard work.

LB- who always leaves the auto tips in place.  

Of course they don't wander around handing out tips.  That's just the front they put when on the internet to avoid judgment.

2 minutes ago, BNBR said:

Having them willy nilly removed is actually NOT a choice Royal gives you from a written/policy perspective.  It's a courtesy they do on the ship.  They absolutely say to prepay or leave them on as a daily service charge.  And only in the unlikely event you are unsatisfied with the service, then you can go to guest services and adjust them.  Nowhere does it say "If you don't like tipping, just remove them" or "If you prefer to tip in cash, just remove them."  Just because people get away with it because the cruiseline is customer focused and doesn't want to argue with guests, doesn't make it right to abuse that courtesy.

Ohhh get real they do not even ask! 👍

Anyway you have NO say what so ever in this game! 👌

This whole thing is way too complicated and complex no wonder people quit playing!

IMHO a pure money scam that guilts money out of people's pockets! 🙄