Tipping for massage

We had a couples massage on our last RCCL cruise.  Of course the customary 18% gratuity was added to the massage charge.  Does this 18% go directly to the massage therapists?  Is it necessart/customary to tip something additional on top of the 18% and if we add that to the charge receipt will that go directly to the ladies?  

I can't answer about where the tips go in regards to the massage therapists, however this is different than the tips in regards to room stewards, etc.

The spas are contracted out and ran by Sterner.  They provide the therapists.

I sometimes give a bit extra but don't fill obligated.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, cot427 said:

Are they still very aggressive with sales at the end? I would be more inclined to tip more if they weren't. 

I always write in large letters “No Product Sales” on the sheet I fill out before the massage. If they stick to that I tip them extra. I’ve never had an issue since I started doing this. It used to ruin the experience. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, CruisingHusker said:

I always write in large letters “No Product Sales” on the sheet I fill out before the massage. If they stick to that I tip them extra. I’ve never had an issue since I started doing this. It used to ruin the experience. 

2 thumbs up

3 hours ago, CruisingHusker said:

I do the same thing and it has always worked well - I haven't had a single sales presentation to contend with since I started doing this.

5 hours ago, CruisingHusker said:

Thanks for that advice. This is my plan for our couples massage next month on the Symphony. I'll gladly even tip extra if I feel the service was worth it and I'm not sitting on the table as a shill for some product push.

6 hours ago, cot427 said:

Are they still very aggressive with sales at the end? I would be more inclined to tip more if they weren't. 

I agree that is why I may never do a massage again. The pre consultation with all the questions and the after hard sell on their other products and services really upset me. All I wanted was a nice relaxing massage, not a pressure sales job. Great advise on filling out the sheet with large letters "No Product Sales."

Edited by Swank Pad G
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Swank Pad G said:

I agree that is why I may never do a massage again. The pre consultation with all the questions and the after hard sell on their other products and services really upset me. All I wanted was a nice relaxing massage, not a pressure sales job. Great advise on filling out the sheet with large letters "No Product Sales."

Yes! My one and only massage on RC years ago was such a turn off after the bombardment of pushy sales. I have never done another one since - all bc of the one experience!