Flight time was changed/glad I called

mom2two2

I received an email from expedia today saying our flight time home the day after our cruise had changed.  We booked way far out so I knew this was a posibility. We went from a 30 min layover to one of 4.5 hours. 

Thanks to the advice here (not directly to me but from reading the posts) and some info from my friend google (found another similar content blog) I suspected that American Airlines may allow us to switch flights without charging. (Was hoping for that 90 min exception I was reading about).

I called Expedia and had a patient and kind rep answer.  It was a very long call as I was on hold for ages while she tracked down what she was able/not able to do (at one point she was also on hold with American Airlines for 30 mins).

The airline gave her the ok to put us on a direct flight leaving roughly the same time we would have on the original one stop flight with no charge or change fee to us.  

Sometimes things work out...I am glad I called to ask. 

• Like 1

Not a fan of using a 3rd party for airline travel. I find it much easier and more direct to deal directly with the carrier..but glad it worked out well for you to make the timing change.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ashland said:

Not a fan of using a 3rd party for airline travel. I find it much easier and more direct to deal directly with the carrier..but glad it worked out well for you to make the timing change.

Me either.  I can't imagine having to spend that much time on the phone for a simple change that virtually all airlines will do without hesitation when they've made such a significant schedule change.  This is definitely one of the downsides of booking through a 3rd party.

13 hours ago, Voelfgar said:

Even when i had booked through Expedia or Orbitz, in a situation like this, I would just call the airline directly.

You were lucky the airline talked to you.  They usually don’t get involved when not booked directly with them.  

10 hours ago, cheeseclan said:

You were lucky the airline talked to you.  They usually don’t get involved when not booked directly with them.  

I don't tell them i booked through a 3rd Party. I give them my flight confirmation # and tell them that their recent flight changes will affect my travel.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Voelfgar said:

I don't tell them i booked through a 3rd Party. I give them my flight confirmation # and tell them that their recent flight changes will affect my travel.

I'm sure they can see if their system exactly how you booked your ticket, but based on anecdotal reports, airlines are, generally speaking, much more lenient than cruise lines when it comes to talking directly to pax about their reservations that were booked via TA/third party.

2 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

I'm sure they can see if their system exactly how you booked your ticket, but based on anecdotal reports, airlines are, generally speaking, much more lenient than cruise lines when it comes to talking directly to pax about their reservations that were booked via TA/third party.

They can. I have seen the reservation systems and there is definitely a way to see how it was booked.

Just now, Zach1213 said:

They can. I have seen the reservation systems and there is definitely a way to see how it was booked.

And I should clarify my former comment.... those reports are generally in response to the airline changing the schedule.  I would not expect the airline to change a reservation made via Expedia for instance, if it is the passenger's plans that have changed rather than the airline schedule.

We have a flight booked with Delta - DTW to Vancouver, BC with a layover of 44 minutes in Seattle.  My question is it possible to change planes in 44 minutes and have your luggage follow you on the same flight and arrive in Vancouver at the same time.  We have booked through flight ease with Hal.   We were told the gates are close and should be no problem, but????   

do you think it will work out??   /btw the flights are Delta's schedule

I'd rather have a proper hour, but the minimum legal connection time I can find for domestic to international at SEA  is 30 minutes and Delta's schedule tends to get padded 15 or so minutes for airport congestion so it sounds quite doable to me. 

In terms of the 'what happens if you misconnect?', I found 7 Seattle-Vancouver flights for Delta on a random day in July, and as long as you aren't on the last flight of the day, I'd assume you could be rebooked on another flight that day and get to Vancouver just fine.  

2 hours ago, boards said:

We were told the gates are close and should be no problem, but???? 

The DL gates at SEA are spread out among the South Satellite, A concourse and B concourse.  It's not as sprawling at some airports, but you will have to not dawdle.  If your two flights are in the same concourse, you are correct - they are close.  Otherwise, you may have a train ride and walk.  Check out a map of the SEA terminal to see what I mean.

Edited by FlyerTalker

14 hours ago, boards said:

We have a flight booked with Delta - DTW to Vancouver, BC with a layover of 44 minutes in Seattle.  My question is it possible to change planes in 44 minutes and have your luggage follow you on the same flight and arrive in Vancouver at the same time.  We have booked through flight ease with Hal.   We were told the gates are close and should be no problem, but????   

do you think it will work out??   /btw the flights are Delta's schedule

A couple of days before my flight, I check out FlightAware.

FlightAware gives you departure and arrival gates for PAST flights. You can get historical data to help you determine what the odds are of if you will have to change terminals. (remember, this is historical data. Don't set your clock by it.) You can also check FlightAware during your flight to see where your next flight is boarding.

Usually, if the connection is going to be tight, flight attendants will ask for everyone to stay seated so those with tight connections can debark the plane quickly. If you ask them to politely.

Side Notes:

1. I'm sure you know this, but,,, Since you are flying into Canada, a passport book will be required.

2. Your flight from SEA to YVR will be on an Embraer 175. A very small plane. Be prepared to have to leave your carry on by the door so they can load it on the plane. The overhead bins are very small.

Edited by klfrodo

I always receive alerts on my smartphone when my flight(s) has changed . I have never had to call unless the change is unacceptable. Sometimes it works out well in my favor, sometimes not.

Edited by dogs4fun

8 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

A couple of days before my flight, I check out FlightAware.

FlightAware gives you departure and arrival gates for PAST flights. You can get historical data to help you determine what the odds are of if you will have to change terminals. (remember, this is historical data. Don't set your clock by it.) You can also check FlightAware during your flight to see where your next flight is boarding.

Usually, if the connection is going to be tight, flight attendants will ask for everyone to stay seated so those with tight connections can debark the plane quickly. If you ask them to politely.

If you miss the connection, how much of a problem to get on the next flight available.  We know there is one 2 hrs later, will we be put on it?   Our connection to our cruise is the next day, so that is not a problem.

1 hour ago, boards said:

If you miss the connection, how much of a problem to get on the next flight available.  We know there is one 2 hrs later, will we be put on it?   Our connection to our cruise is the next day, so that is not a problem.

No way to tell.

If the flight is full and nobody volunteers to get bumped, you're at the mercy of next available flights with seats open.

Good news is there are multiple options to get to Vancouver from Seattle. Planes, trains, and automobiles

We have booked with flight-ease Hal and supposedly they will be responsible to get us to Vancouver.  Our PCC has tried to assure us that will be well.  We are too old to have to worry about things like this.  I would really like to change the flight, but she says it will be okay.

We have booked with flight-ease Hal and supposedly they will be responsible to get us to Vancouver. 

Actually, Delta is responsible to get you to Vancouver.  Getting you to your ship on time is a different issue.  Assuming (and that's always a key component) that your flights are on-time, you should be fine.  Understand the layout of the Seattle airport (and you can find a map in the DL inflight magazine on your way from DTW) and you'll know how to make your connection.

If you are delayed and miss your connecting flight, DL has the obligation to get you to YVR.  Not on the next flight, but on the next one with available seats.  Thus, you should have a plan B in mind in case DL can't get you there in time for your ship.  Maybe even a plan C (but not a Plan Nine 🙂 )

I would also suggest you read the actual terms and conditions for "flight-ease", not just the marketing fluff.  So you will know the real-world responsibilities and obligations of HAL.

We are too old to have to worry about things like this.

Unfortunately, concern about those things is something that needs to be done, whatever your age.  In fact, as we age, there's even more need to address potential issues in advance.  There are no guarantees, nor foolproof systems.  You can either have advance contingency plans in your mind OR you can figure out solutions on-the-fly if problems arise.  Trust me, your success rate will be much higher with the former.

If you don't want to get into the planning weeds, there are flight concierge services that you can hire.  They will do your legwork, and charge you appropriately.

21 hours ago, boards said:

If you miss the connection, how much of a problem to get on the next flight available.  We know there is one 2 hrs later, will we be put on it?  

Maybe, but it's not guaranteed.  If that flight is full they will not bump someone else off to put you on the flight.   If there are other passengers who had delays and need to get on that flight, and they have status with the airline or purchased a ticket in a higher fare code, they will likely be accommodated before you are.

20 hours ago, klfrodo said:

No way to tell.

If the flight is full and nobody volunteers to get bumped, you're at the mercy of next available flights with seats open.

Actually if the flight is full and someone is being reaccommodated from a prior flight that had delays, they may not even ask if there are pax willing to be bumped.   Bump offers are more common when a flight is oversold.  That's different from a flight just being full, and someone from an earlier flight wanting to be moved to that flight. 

1 hour ago, waterbug123 said:

Maybe, but it's not guaranteed.  If that flight is full they will not bump someone else off to put you on the flight.   If there are other passengers who had delays and need to get on that flight, and they have status with the airline or purchased a ticket in a higher fare code, they will likely be accommodated before you are.

Actually if the flight is full and someone is being reaccommodated from a prior flight that had delays, they may not even ask if there are pax willing to be bumped.   Bump offers are more common when a flight is oversold.  That's different from a flight just being full, and someone from an earlier flight wanting to be moved to that flight. 

Will matter if the flights we purchased came as a package.   By that I mean the flights were arranged by Delta.  I did not pick the flights.   I would hope that they would know the time is short and would be prepared to accommodate the passengers that have connecting flights since that is their plan??   Should I dream on!!!

Edited by boards

20 minutes ago, boards said:

Will matter if the flights we purchased came as a package.   By that I mean the flights were arranged by Delta.  I did not pick the flights.   I would hope that they would know the time is short and would be prepared to accommodate the passengers that have connecting flights since that is their plan??   Should I dream on!!!

The short answer is no it doesn't matter.  Flights are booked with short connections all the time, but airline's have a minimum connect time.  The MCT is the minimum time needed assuming all flights depart and land on time.  But, delays happen all the time.  When they do, the airline will rebook you, but they cannot and do not guarantee that the you will be put on the very next flight, as that flight might be full. 

3 hours ago, boards said:

Will matter if the flights we purchased came as a package.   By that I mean the flights were arranged by Delta.  I did not pick the flights. 

Let's see.  First the flights were done through HAL.  Now Delta "arranged" them".  Hmmm.

Sorry.  The fact of the matter is...you picked the flights.  Either by explicitly making the selection, by agreeing to the option presented to you, or by your initial decision that you would accept whatever the cruiseline would provide to you.

As for a "package" - you may actually be worse off with a "package", as they are often put together using bulk tickets that come with significantly more restrictive fare rules than what you would buy yourself on the open market.

Caveat emptor.