civitavecchia port

cruiselove87

If you are coming in from a hotel in Rome it is a couple hour trip as I remember it. Definately too long for a taxi unless you have a suitcase full of cash to pay or have some type of prearranged transport. We took the NCL transport from the airport Hilton.

Our first time sailing from Civitavecchia, we took a driver from our hotel near the Pantheon to the port, arranged by our concierge.  (Shows how little prep we thought to do!...it was our first cruise ever).  We just talked to our concierge the day before and he took care of arrangements.  No way were we getting a special deal.

Took a little over an hour; cost just over $100.  He took us right to the ship.  NO idea if this is usual, but it sure was convenient.  Basically, it was in a nice car (Mercedes of some sort?...this was nearly 8 years ago), and he just zipped to the port.  I would say allow 2 hours, just in case, to get from your hotel in Rome to the port, although it should be less if taking private transport.  It IS true that Rome really is a ways away from the port.  The next year, Rome/Civitavecchia was one on our stops on a cruise out of Barcelona.  There are shuttles that run from the ships to the main gate of the port.  This was what our drive had bypassed the year before and just drove right to the ship.  I have no idea about the protocol, but it did NOT seem to be a big deal.  He didn't check with anyone...just drove to the ship.  HOWEVER, if you end up having to use a shuttle bus, you're talking an extra 15 minutes, I would say.  Again the 2 hours from Rome is probably plenty.  The town is actually pretty small, so even if you do something like take the train from Rome, your walk to the shuttle is not bad at all, unless you have LOADS of luggage.  

I’ve done this cruise 8times. Last time in 2017. It took an hour & a half to get to port. We used Rome in Limo for transport & all Italy excursions. But plan on 90 minutes to port. Traffic can sometimes be bad

We've taken the train from Rome a couple of times.  Less than 5 Euros and it runs at least every hour.  The only problem is if you have a lot of luggage.  You might have to go down, then under the tracks and back up at the port.  Elderly people with luggage would have a difficult time.  But, last time, we got right off, pulled our luggage right out of the station to a shuttle bus for about a Euro to the NCL loading spot to bus you to your ship.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, daveispar said:

We've taken the train from Rome a couple of times.  Less than 5 Euros and it runs at least every hour.  The only problem is if you have a lot of luggage.  You might have to go down, then under the tracks and back up at the port.  Elderly people with luggage would have a difficult time.  But, last time, we got right off, pulled our luggage right out of the station to a shuttle bus for about a Euro to the NCL loading spot to bus you to your ship.

Hi, thank you. yes we will be staying near the airport and have a lot of luggage so are planning to take a car service. The NCL loading spot that busses you to the ship that you mentioned is what I was referring to in my first post. Is this where the car service would drop us off? What time is the earliest you would think people could arrive to that location if boarding time officially starts at noon?

47 minutes ago, cruiselove87 said:

Hi, thank you. yes we will be staying near the airport and have a lot of luggage so are planning to take a car service. The NCL loading spot that busses you to the ship that you mentioned is what I was referring to in my first post. Is this where the car service would drop us off? What time is the earliest you would think people could arrive to that location if boarding time officially starts at noon?

We have used a prepaid car service several times from Rome Fiumicino airport to the port and again after our cruise. The shuttle company we used was NCC and they proved to be good value and reliable. I checked then out via Trip Advisor and their own website. the costs vary based on whether its a private hire car or a shared shuttle, usually a minivan. The service drops you off and picks up at the cruise terminal. These official car service companies apparently have authority to enter the port almost right to the ship's side. From the airport it takes around an hour, from the centre of Rome up to two hours depending on time of day.

The bus shuttle is located about a third of a mile from the port gate and is used for the free shuttle provided by the port to and from the ships. These shuttles are for passengers going into the port that might have stayed the night in Civitavecchia having arrived early and maybe by rail. Similarly for disembarking passengers off the ship with onward travel by rail. When cruise ships are in port this bus terminal see hundreds of passengers using the free shuttles from ships. They then haul their cases through the centre of the town to the rail station, about a 15 minute walk.    

Travelling by rail from the centre of Rome takes about an hour, can be very good value, but potentially tricky with heavy cases. There is a bus service from the station to the cruise shuttle bus terminal for a few euros. For those arriving the night before there are some decent hotels in Civitavvechia along with some nice walks, shops, historical sights, bars and restaurants.

Hope this helps

John

Sailing out of Rome on the Jade in October 2019. Sailed with NCL twice.

First time in Europe - very exciting!

Newbie question:

When we return to port in cititavecchia do we have to go through customs in the port terminal like in NY?

Or can our car pick us up at the ship?

We are using one of the car services that can drop you at the ship.

Thanks😁

I would recommend Civitavecchia Cab Service. We took CCS from FCO to Rome City Center Hotel for a 2 night stay, from Rome CCH to Civitavecchia Port Hotel for 1 night stay, and walked across street the next day to catch the shuttle bus to ship. (I think CCS would take you directly to where you check in at your pier.) Then after our cruise we caught shuttle back drop off point across street, from the original Hotel stayed in at Civitavecchia Port. Hotel Traghetto keep our luggage, and we spent all day in the port. Arranged for CCS to pick us up at hotel later that evening and take us to FCO. A whole lot better than spending all day at FCO. We had 3 different trips with CCS and were well satisfied with all of them. On time, courteous, friendly, helpful, English Speaking, etc. We did the private service Mercedes for 2. (119 Euros for 2 of us to FCO.) Didn't want to be waiting around for another group on any of the 3 shuttles. You can go to their site, put your information in, and they will give you a price. Reasonable and highly recommended when I searched.

Boarded the port shuttle at 10 am and waited about 30 minutes in the NCL check in area. We were in a suite and got to board around 10:30. It was crowded with quite a few ships boarding at the port. I think NCL says not to be earlier than 1 hour, before your assigned boarding time.

Edited by morrisretired
add to it

Thanks for the info - will check out the cab service.

At the end of our cruise when we debark from the ship - is it necessary to go through customs? Can the car services pick us up at the pier? Or are we required to go to the terminal/port building and have car pick up outside the port building?

Obviously we are not familiar with European customs requirements;)

We sailed the meditteranean last May, there's a full trip report link in my signature. We flew into Rome a few days early, and for our last day before boarding rented a car to take us to a few stops in Tivoli, and then bring us to the boat. Literally dropped us off right on the pier next to the check-in desk. I think it cost us ~$500, but that was for a private driver and translator for 3 people, total of 6+ hours tour. Well worth the money, and they can customize the day for you to go wherever you want. 

16 hours ago, dmms said:

Newbie question:

When we return to port in cititavecchia do we have to go through customs in the port terminal like in NY?

Thanks😁

We were on the NCL Spirit in August 2018, on a 11 night Mediterranean & Adriatic Cruise. I don't remember going through customs, when disembarking at the Port Of Civitavecchia. We did have to go through customs / immigration at the FCO Airport flying in and flying out of Rome. We rode the port shuttle to the cruise ship from Hotel. Noticed several private vehicles dropping off passengers outside the NCL cruise terminal, where the port shuttle also dropped us off. A short walk to enter the cruise terminal. So, I assume they would also picking up passengers there after the cruise. We rode the port shuttle back to Hotel to store our bags for the day. You might ask the car service to be sure.

Thanks for the information 

Will definitely check with the car service.

One of the nicest things about cruising has been all the helpful intel available from the cruise critic community;)

So appreciate everyone’s willingness to share - makes the process easier for newbies like us who don’t know the landscape!

Thanks 😁

• Like 1

IF you take a taxi, make sure they have the "special permit" or whatever it is to take you right up to the ship.  The person we had booked before we left the US, dropped us off at the pier where the buses drop passengers off, and we waited in line for over an hour to get a cruise bus to take us back to the ship.  

Can someone suggest one that has the special permit? We are sailing from Rome in November again. I think we used Rome Transfers last time and they didn't have it.

We are using Best Rome Driver in May.  We've also booked them for a tour of Rome before the trip, a tour of Pompeii when we stop off in Naples, and a tour of Pisa when we stop at Livorno.  Following the cruise, they will take us to Orvieto, and then to the airport.  They are having a "winter sale" right now that gets you 10% off their regular rates.

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 1:19 PM, robins11 said:

We have used a prepaid car service several times from Rome Fiumicino airport to the port and again after our cruise. The shuttle company we used was NCC and they proved to be good value and reliable. I checked then out via Trip Advisor and their own website. the costs vary based on whether its a private hire car or a shared shuttle, usually a minivan. The service drops you off and picks up at the cruise terminal. These official car service companies apparently have authority to enter the port almost right to the ship's side. From the airport it takes around an hour, from the centre of Rome up to two hours depending on time of day.

The bus shuttle is located about a third of a mile from the port gate and is used for the free shuttle provided by the port to and from the ships. These shuttles are for passengers going into the port that might have stayed the night in Civitavecchia having arrived early and maybe by rail. Similarly for disembarking passengers off the ship with onward travel by rail. When cruise ships are in port this bus terminal see hundreds of passengers using the free shuttles from ships. They then haul their cases through the centre of the town to the rail station, about a 15 minute walk.    

Travelling by rail from the centre of Rome takes about an hour, can be very good value, but potentially tricky with heavy cases. There is a bus service from the station to the cruise shuttle bus terminal for a few euros. For those arriving the night before there are some decent hotels in Civitavvechia along with some nice walks, shops, historical sights, bars and restaurants.

Hope this helps

John

Hi, thank you for the information. Can you send me a link to their website please?

Hi  --  we spent a number of days in Rome, prior to the cruise & rented a car to do day trips from Rome.  The morning of the cruise, we drove to Civitavecchia.  Johnny was still on crutches, after braking his hip, so I dropped him & the luggage off at the shuttle loading area.  I returned the car & walked back to the shuttle.  Worked like a charm!!!

On 3/8/2019 at 10:33 PM, dmms said:

Thanks for the info - will check out the cab service.

At the end of our cruise when we debark from the ship - is it necessary to go through customs? Can the car services pick us up at the pier? Or are we required to go to the terminal/port building and have car pick up outside the port building?

Obviously we are not familiar with European customs requirements;)

There will be no customs at all, you just walk off the ship, collect your bags and off you go.

1 hour ago, Von & John said:

Hi  --  we spent a number of days in Rome, prior to the cruise & rented a car to do day trips from Rome.  The morning of the cruise, we drove to Civitavecchia.  Johnny was still on crutches, after braking his hip, so I dropped him & the luggage off at the shuttle loading area.  I returned the car & walked back to the shuttle.  Worked like a charm!!!

Sorry my Grammar OCD won't let it rest...

Just reread the post...

John broke his hip... 

I should have written Johnny was still on crutches, after breaking his hip...

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/17/2019 at 2:00 AM, cruiselove87 said:

Hi, thank you for the information. Can you send me a link to their website please?

Hi sorry for the delay in responding but been away working

This is the site I used  http://www.nccplus.it/

All info on there plus opportunity to get quotes. Suggest check out Trip Advisor as well for reviews on this company

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g187791-d3215437-Reviews-NCC_Airport-Rome_Lazio.html

Hope it helps

John

On 3/8/2019 at 5:45 PM, dmms said:

Newbie question:

Thanks😁

We are also doing this cruise, and if you have not joined the roll call you should check it out.   We have a great group with lots of participation on our roll call page .  

12 hours ago, Boxersma2 said:

We are also doing this cruise, and if you have not joined the roll call you should check it out.   We have a great group with lots of participation on our roll call page .  

Just what I was going to post!!