Caribbean Princess medallion review

tgwabd

First let me say it was a great cruise, the bars and restaurants stopped using the medallion after the first day, if you also had your card and it seems that everyone did, they just went by the four digits on your card, my wife and I did not like the fact that when you passed certain screens your picture would pop up, she just carried her card only and had no problems getting on or off the ship and used her card just like the medallion on the medallion box.

Walking up to your room and having the door automatically unlock was 50/50.  Mostly everyone used the lanyards but a few bought the clip on holder for the medallion. And make sure that when you take your picture for security and id on the app that you are happy with that picture because that is the one that pops up, my wife was not happy about that....we will be taking MUCH better pictures next cruise....

Edited by tgwabd

13 minutes ago, tgwabd said:

First let me say it was a great cruise, the bars and restaurants stopped using the medallion after the first day, if you also had your card and it seems that everyone did, they just went by the four digits on your card, my wife and I did not like the fact that when you passed certain screens your picture would pop up, she just carried her card only and had no problems getting on or off the ship and used her card just like the medallion on the medallion box.

Walking up to your room and having the door automatically unlock was 50/50.  Mostly everyone used the lanyards but a few bought the clip on holder for the medallion. And make sure that when you take your picture for security and id on the app that you are happy with that picture because that is the one that pops up, my wife was not happy about that....we will be taking MUCH better pictures next cruise....

Thank you for the heads up on the photo, but why did the bars etc stop using the medallion after the first day?  We have friends going on their first cruise on the Caribbean and I keep trying to keep them updated on info.  

12 minutes ago, Tickled2Trvl said:

Thank you for the heads up on the photo, but why did the bars etc stop using the medallion after the first day?  We have friends going on their first cruise on the Caribbean and I keep trying to keep them updated on info.  

Sometimes when you were at the bar and you had your medallion the bartender would just look at the pictures on his screen of the people that were in the vicinity and look at you and say your name and you confirmed it and you were good to go, they never even touched you card or medallion....

18 minutes ago, voljeep said:

I believe that pre-cruise you can create an avatar thru Ocean Ready and that pic will be the one that pops up

will find out soon, soon as in a little over 2 months ...

I dont think that avatars would work unless you look exactly like an avatar, security and money are involved, it's got to be you...

Edited by tgwabd

38 minutes ago, tgwabd said:

I dont think that avatars would work unless you look exactly like an avatar, security and money are involved, it's got to be you...

The photo you upload for your avatar can be different from the one you upload for your security photo. We used photos of our dog & cat, so when we approached our room or stood by the elevator screens those were the photos that popped up. I'm not sure which photo (avatar or security) shows up on the waitstaffs' screens. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, WisCruiser2 said:

The photo you upload for your avatar can be different from the one you upload for your security photo. We used photos of our dog & cat, so when we approached our room or stood by the elevator screens those were the photos that popped up. I'm not sure which photo (avatar or security) shows up on the waitstaffs' screens. 

I had no idea you could use a custom photo for your avatar. I though they were just images that Princess offered such as a fish or a turtle that you could customize with different colors and such. I sincerely doubt that anybody's avatar is what would show up on a bartender's or waitperson's device.

7 hours ago, EatonDoolittle said:

If you can, would you please post a close up photo , or give a description of how the Medallion attaches to a wrist band:

i.e. fits into the silicone opening? magnets? some other sort of attachment apparatus like on a watch,? etc. 

Thanks

If you go to YouTube, you'll find several videos featuring the medallions.

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

I had no idea you could use a custom photo for your avatar. I though they were just images that Princess offered such as a fish or a turtle that you could customize with different colors and such. I sincerely doubt that anybody's avatar is what would show up on a bartender's or waitperson's device.

Hi Thrak,

I used my Captain of The Rowboat photo. :classic_biggrin:

55F9660C-6024-4DE7-A595-EFFB09DF8348.jpeg

• Like 3

16 hours ago, WisCruiser2 said:

I'm not sure which photo (avatar or security) shows up on the waitstaffs' screens. 

For security reasons I'm sure that they'll use the picture that shows your face & not the one of your dog or cat.

• Haha 1

We also used a picture of our dog as our avatar and the door worked perfectly all the time.  We never had a problem with ocean medallion during the entire cruise on the Caribbean Princess and we just got off yesterday.  The security photo is totally different.  We loved the Medallion!

On 3/10/2019 at 3:48 PM, EatonDoolittle said:

If you can, would you please post a close up photo , or give a description of how the Medallion attaches to a wrist band:

i.e. fits into the silicone opening? magnets? some other sort of attachment apparatus like on a watch,? etc. 

Thanks

We haven't used one yet.  On other threads, people say they use the Fitbit Zip wristbands.  There's lots to chose from on Amazon.

Does anyone know why Princess stopped selling theirs?  If they had a problem with one made specifically for the Medallion,  I'm wondering if I should even try one. 

4 hours ago, palolake said:

We haven't used one yet.  On other threads, people say they use the Fitbit Zip wristbands.  There's lots to chose from on Amazon.

Does anyone know why Princess stopped selling theirs?  If they had a problem with one made specifically for the Medallion,  I'm wondering if I should even try one. 

princess was selling them on Caribbean Princess in Feb.  I was on the cruise and saw people buying them.  Maybe they ran out.

22 hours ago, Steven_&_Daniel said:

We used photos of our two dogs as our avatars so we could see them each time we entered our cabin...

7116281_158-OceanMedallioncabinlock.thumb.jpg.a477790e6563d9ff9a543747f88f92e1.jpg

This is great info. It will help with DH missing our Chocolate Lab, which he does a LOT when we are on vacation. He can’t understand why dogs can’t cruise too😉

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, knbcruisers said:

This is great info. It will help with DH missing our Chocolate Lab, which he does a LOT when we are on vacation. He can’t understand why dogs can’t cruise too😉

Yea, we think every cruise ship should have a few canines on staff for those who are missing their furry friends back home.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Medallion is great for attendants, staffs to recognize cruisers on the cruise BUT it also shows your ROOM #.  It could create potential security for cruisers.  Google/ search:

• Room service attendant used his company-issued master key to enter the cabin of Jane Doe