2 bottles of wine per stateroom or per adult?

Help settle a debate: is the rule at embarkation that you can bring on 1 bottle of wine per adult or 2 bottles of wine per stateroom?  IE if you are the only adult in the stateroom, does the rule at Royal say you can bring 1 bottle of wine or 2 when you board?  I am not looking for personal anecdotes of people who smuggled in 8 bottles of wine (though if you did manage that we should talk...), just what the actual rule is.  

To phrase it another way, I am the only adult in my stateroom with 2 teens.  How many bottles of wine am I allowed to carry on with me according to Royal's rule?  I personally feel that the rule is stated very clearly, but someone else seems to have a different interpretation.  

It's two bottles per stateroom.  It doesn't matter if there is just one adult. Just be sure that you carry it on in your carry on bag. If you put it in your luggage they will hold your luggage on deck 2 and have you come there to retrieve your luggage. Don't even put a bottle of water in your checked luggage because they will hold it until they can inspect it in front of you. It should be in your cruise contract that you can bring two bottles of wine per stateroom. 

Edited by Raysfun

8 hours ago, akcruz said:

My understanding is 2 bottles per cabin where at least 1 of those in the cabin is 21 or older.

Splitting up parents is often done to allow 4 bottles to be brought onboard.

"Allow"? You mean SNEAK. 😉

3 hours ago, ramja96 said:

"Allow"? You mean SNEAK. 😉

What do you mean "sneak"  They booked an adult in each room, and per RCCL policy each one of there are allowed to bring two bottles of wine onboard.

Sneaking is using rumrunners.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, gatour said:

What do you mean "sneak"  They booked an adult in each room, and per RCCL policy each one of there are allowed to bring two bottles of wine onboard.

Sneaking is using rumrunners.

I realized that later, but it was too late to edit my post. I thought they meant the adults were separating at check-in/security scan.

4 hours ago, ramja96 said:

I realized that later, but it was too late to edit my post. I thought they meant the adults were separating at check-in/security scan.

Okay, I understand the misreading.  Have done it myself.

I also would consider how you initially read the post i.e. splitting before security/check-in as sneaking

The OP asked about the rule.  Not what others do.

The rule indeed is a limit of two 750 bottles of wine per stateroom.  One adult per stateroom is required.  Does not matter if 1 adult or more is in that stateroom...it is still a maximum of two per stateroom.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

True sneaking is splitting up couples to double down on balcony discount. 😉

We had never thought about doing that as a way of booking. A few years ago we booked two cabins through our travel agent. While taking to her on the phone she suggested splitting up my wife and myself to get two diamond discounts.  She said it was just  run of the mill when booking families with kids in another cabin. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2019 at 3:22 AM, Grenouille21 said:

Thanks, everyone.  Someone else who is considered an expert in all things RCI was trying to convince me and others that the rule was "poorly written" and that the actual rule is 1 bottle per adult.  You all confirmed what I had thought.  

Simple to cut and paste the rules stating such on the RCI website, then email to your "expert".  😉 😄 

I’m a solo cruiser, and I got told in Copenhagen, I could only bring 1 bottle. I told the guy at security it was 2 per stateroom. He referred to his notes and then wanted to argue. Another agent came up and said something, and then he waved me thorough. 

3 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

I’m a solo cruiser, and I got told in Copenhagen, I could only bring 1 bottle. I told the guy at security it was 2 per stateroom. He referred to his notes and then wanted to argue. Another agent came up and said something, and then he waved me thorough. 

In your case, I think I would print out that section of the rules to have on hand...in case you run into another ignorant security agent.  😉 

6 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

Consistency is always a problem with Royal.

22 minutes ago, island lady said:

Simple to cut and paste the rules stating such on the RCI website, then email to your "expert".  😉 😄 

You would think that would work, right???  I did exactly that and was told "It is poorly worded, it means 1 per adult, not 2 per stateroom."  It couldn't be clearer, to me, but the expert wasn't having it.  I was told by the expert that people may "get away with it" but the rule is 1 per adult.  Can't argue with an expert!  🤷‍♀️

15 hours ago, Grenouille21 said:

You would think that would work, right???  I did exactly that and was told "It is poorly worded, it means 1 per adult, not 2 per stateroom."  It couldn't be clearer, to me, but the expert wasn't having it.  I was told by the expert that people may "get away with it" but the rule is 1 per adult.  Can't argue with an expert!  🤷‍♀️

I love the repeated use of the word "expert" here. 🤣 You know the defintion of "expert", right? An EX is a has-been, a SPURT is a drip under pressure. 😲😁

• Like 1

On 3/26/2019 at 3:44 PM, Grenouille21 said:

Oh wow...an expert in his own mind eh?  Sooo funny, interpreting RCI in they way he alone sees it!  🙂