2021 World Cruise will not be on the Pacific Princess

PescadoAmarillo

12 hours ago, LarryL said:

First, I want to thank Steelers36. Your insightful information on this, and the Island Princess, thread. I think, while change may be uncomfortable for some, there is always a silver lining somewhere. Your information was nicely prepared.

We have sailed on the Coral and enjoyed the ship although she was not our favorite. We tend to gravitate towards the Grand Class. I don't think we even knew of the Caribe aft viewing area and didn't go into the Universal Lounge that much. Although I think the public areas provide more opportunities for entertainment it would not be a deal breaker for me. The Fitness center being on the lower and in the middle section of the ship may just be a blessing in disguise. In spite of the loss of beautiful views, the workout area should be far more stable for those on the treadmill (I've rocked a few times on them) as well as those involved in Yoga or other classes.

While we really enjoyed our transatlantic cruise on the Pacific last December, we had to think seriously if we would want to spend 111 days on such a small ship. We walk a lot and exercise but the space to do so on that ship was limited. For the first time in many cruises, I gained 8 pounds during our 17 days onboard. Even with the loss of the wraparound Promenade we could make due, plus there are more stairs to climb. When we left the ship we looked into different ways to complete our circumnavigation by taking different cruises. It's doable but requires 3 months in Australia or New Zealand. I think I would reconsider the WC now that the Island is in play.  

Thanks for the kind words.  Island has a full Promenade deck and it is quite wide along the Port and Starboard sides.  Plenty of padded lounge chairs.  These were often used by passengers.  If you selected carefully, some were located near windbreaks.  We spent more time on the Promenade than on any other ship in the fleet (factored by the day of course as this was a 60-night cruise so we also spent more time in the cabin than on any other cruise - in total only).

20 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Steelers36,  you make a good point. Maybe more people want to do RTW cruise so Princess decides to use a larger ship.  I have not sailed Island. Is the ship layout hat horrible that people refuse to sail her?  

The layout was fine IMO.  I didn't mind the gym was in Deck 6 Aft.  I think the most unfortunate loss was the Universe Lounge in Deck 7 Aft because it offered an alternative entertainment site and the CD staff could have used that for additional entertainment options.  It does have an Explorers and the Theater.  Also a quite large Wheelhouse.  Of course, as with any of the smaller ships, the Atrium is small.  Not like a Piazza on the larger ships.  If there were two identical cruises, I would choose the other ship and not Island, assuming the other ship was a newer, larger one with more venues and features.  But I would not hesitate to book Island for a great itinerary.  As an example, its itinerary that was just cancelled from Rome around Mediterranean, and through Suez Canal to Dubai and on to Singapore had a much more enriched plan than a similar trip the Regal is sailing (Fall 2020).

Edited by steelers36

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/12/2019 at 10:05 AM, hillslife said:

That is sad news... we loved the Pacific size ships and they could get into the smaller ports ... but knew this was inevitable when they got rid of the smaller Ocean, Royal and Tahitian Princess over the last several years 😩😳

our WC in 2009 on the TP was perfect 😢

Hi Hillslife,

I was also on the 2009 TP world cruise with you. Do you by any chance remember/know who our 2 captains were? I know we started off with one and then mid cruise another took over.

Thanks!

8 hours ago, Michelle1234 said:

Hi Hillslife,

I was also on the 2009 TP world cruise with you. Do you by any chance remember/know who our 2 captains were? I know we started off with one and then mid cruise another took over.

Thanks!

Hi Michelle... nice to hear from you!    Our Capt Rivera and then Capt Justin Laws.

are you still cruising ???  Haven’t seen you on board lately !   Hope all is well !!

2 minutes ago, hillslife said:

Hi Michelle... nice to hear from you!    Our Capt Rivera and then Capt Justin Laws.

are you still cruising ???  Haven’t seen you on board lately !   Hope all is well !!

Thanks for the info on the captains! My husband and I were just on the Coral Princess for a 19 day cruise and the Captain's name seemed familiar so I thought maybe it was one from the World cruise but it isn't.

You are right, we weren't cruising for about 10 years. After the world cruise I wanted a break from cruising. The Coral Princess was an experiment to see if we still like cruising. We had a fabulous time!

Hope all is well with you!

Speaking of Captains, we had Captain Tuvo for the bulk of the time on our S.A. cruise on the Island last year, so perhaps that has a part in my more positive feelings about sailing that ship on a great itinerary.   (See comments above).  As we all know, everyone has their likes and dislikes.  Nevertheless, I was not happy to say 'Bye, Bye' to that trip.

I am always baffled by the complaints on the Island. Sure the Coral is my favorite ship. You could chop the aft section off the Coral at the aft elevators and I would not notice. Other than "on the bayou", bingo, and a lifeboat drill what does one even need the Universal Lounge for? The Island would be great for anyone booking mid or mid forward. I would jump on the Island in an heartbeat if an itinerary presented itself. As for aft lounging, book a balcony, suite, sanctuary lounger, or head up to the sport deck. I just don't get the outrage. #unwarranted #canthaveityourway

• Like 1

2 hours ago, masterty said:

I am always baffled by the complaints on the Island. Sure the Coral is my favorite ship. You could chop the aft section off the Coral at the aft elevators and I would not notice. Other than "on the bayou", bingo, and a lifeboat drill what does one even need the Universal Lounge for? The Island would be great for anyone booking mid or mid forward. I would jump on the Island in an heartbeat if an itinerary presented itself. As for aft lounging, book a balcony, suite, sanctuary lounger, or head up to the sport deck. I just don't get the outrage. #unwarranted #canthaveityourway

I agree.    Have always liked the Island.    The Universal Lounge was a horrible layout.   Not a great place to see shows especially if you were sitting upstairs.   I don't miss it.   The positive for the lounge was that it was another space to move passengers around.   Don't think I have been on a Princess ship that was not crowded in the Atrium in the evening.     Especially if it was a cold weather cruise.    Love the size of the Island and Coral and am always looking for new itineraries   with the two ships. 

11 hours ago, steelers36 said:

Speaking of Captains, we had Captain Tuvo for the bulk of the time on our S.A. cruise on the Island last year, so perhaps that has a part in my more positive feelings about sailing that ship on a great itinerary.   (See comments above).  As we all know, everyone has their likes and dislikes.  Nevertheless, I was not happy to say 'Bye, Bye' to that trip.

I think Captain Tuvo would make a rowboat cruise fun somehow. :classic_tongue: We had him on the Star (Hawaiian cruise) a couple years ago and we hated to say Bye-Bye as well. That was the only cruise we've been on where people actually stopped what they were doing to hear his announcements.

19 hours ago, steelers36 said:

I agree--best captain ever!

By the way.....I've booked the world cruise (Fort L to Fort L) aboard the Island!

Pure conjecture....but I can’t resist. 

I can’t imagine that one of the new, post-Royal Class, 175K gross tonnage ships won’t be christened as the Pacific Princess. Which means that the current Pacific Princess will have to be retired before then. 

1 hour ago, recyclelady said:

By the way.....I've booked the world cruise (Fort L to Fort L) aboard the Island!

I loved the Coral so much that I'm kind of jealous! We spent 19 days with only 5 ports and the last couple of days trying to do the dining venues we hadn't done and making sure we had fully explored the ship. We felt the ship was very nice to spend extended time on-board.

2 hours ago, recyclelady said:

Well hello there!!  We were trying to book the Island WC Segment from Singapore to FLL.  All the segments ending in Florida are supposedly "Sold Out" (but Princess may be playing with inventory).  All we could do was book from Singapore all the way thru to Los Angeles (another 14 days) and prefer not that much.  Anyway, I can watch the inventory and we can always cancel.  I read a rumor that Tuvo was getting the new launch, Sky, later this year, but not sure of that.  

We still say that S.A. trip was the greatest adventure.  This year we did two months in Australia & NZ, which began with a 12-night cruise to NZ and back.  Then, we did a fly-drive around a lot of Australia.  Great time.  

Hope you do get to do the WC!!.

29 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

Well hello there!!  We were trying to book the Island WC Segment from Singapore to FLL.  All the segments ending in Florida are supposedly "Sold Out" (but Princess may be playing with inventory).  All we could do was book from Singapore all the way thru to Los Angeles (another 14 days) and prefer not that much.  Anyway, I can watch the inventory and we can always cancel.  I read a rumor that Tuvo was getting the new launch, Sky, later this year, but not sure of that.  

We still say that S.A. trip was the greatest adventure.  This year we did two months in Australia & NZ, which began with a 12-night cruise to NZ and back.  Then, we did a fly-drive around a lot of Australia.  Great time.  

Hope you do get to do the WC!!.

We just got back from that part of the world. We did a 23 day land tour of NZ, then 5 days on our own in Sydney, then 28 days around Australia aboard the Sea Princess. 

Ive never had so much fun as I did on the S. America cruise last year. It will seem strange to be on the Island Princess without everyone I knew in 2018. 

14 minutes ago, recyclelady said:

We just got back from that part of the world. We did a 23 day land tour of NZ, then 5 days on our own in Sydney, then 28 days around Australia aboard the Sea Princess. 

Ive never had so much fun as I did on the S. America cruise last year. It will seem strange to be on the Island Princess without everyone I knew in 2018. 

Our friends who were with us on that trip are booked from FLL to Singapore.  And by coincidence, we are booked in the exact same cabin as they have from Singapore to L.A.  There seemed to be a real trickle of cabins.  We are not Elite, but our friends are just now, but she didn't jump on the morning of the sale and was looking at the same inventory we saw the next day.  I was even up early before 6:00am looking into it. 

23 hours ago, masterty said:

If you had booked one of the new suites for 4 weeks and had constant vibration while underway, then you would know why people are complaining.  The problem is really with just the aft corner cabins.   I walked out of our cabin toward the middle - vibration disappeared at the center and as I continued to the starboard side, the vibration picked up.  That is why some people in the center aft cabins felt nothing.