Onboard Shop Price Match?

Hello, 

I don't know if anyone has any experience with this and may be able to help me or direct me.  On my recent cruise on Anthem (Feb 23) I bought a Citizen Watch for $406.  I checked Amazon (Around $450) and other sites before purchasing it and this was indeed the cheapest price around.  

Here it is a few weeks later and Amazon has the Watch for $324.  That's a huge price difference.  I know there was something about price matching.  Do they do that?  I'm assuming there is no return or anything like that I can do?

I'm guessing I'm SOL but since it's such a big price difference I thought I'd start seeing if I can do anything before it's too late, if it's not already.  Thank you in advance.

8 minutes ago, xadidas20x said:

Hello, 

I don't know if anyone has any experience with this and may be able to help me or direct me.  On my recent cruise on Anthem (Feb 23) I bought a Citizen Watch for $406.  I checked Amazon (Around $450) and other sites before purchasing it and this was indeed the cheapest price around.  

Here it is a few weeks later and Amazon has the Watch for $324.  That's a huge price difference.  I know there was something about price matching.  Do they do that?  I'm assuming there is no return or anything like that I can do?

I'm guessing I'm SOL but since it's such a big price difference I thought I'd start seeing if I can do anything before it's too late, if it's not already.  Thank you in advance.

You might call Royal and ask about a return.  My wife bought a watch, a cheap one on sale in the Promenade for $20.00,  It stoped working a few weeks after we retuned home.   Our next cruise a year later on a different ship she brought the watch and asked for a replacement,  no problem, she picked a new one and that was it.  They seemed so easy to please you may have no problem getting a refund, please report back how it works out. 

7 minutes ago, Ashland said:

SOL...but do enjoy your watch.

I really do.  And I wasn't even looking at Amazon to keep an eye on the price. I just wanted to see something on the description.  So again, it sucks.  It is a birthday gift from my wife and I really like it.  But I hate spending that kind of money on anything for myself so when I saw the price it now is, I just couldn't believe my luck. 

I'm going to send an email to the customer service just to ask with the mindset of knowing I'm 99.9% SOL but will be happy if I can get that 0.1%.

I shopped on Amazon for Citizen watches before boarding and printed photos and Amazon price. The one I liked that they had onboard was $5 more than the Amazon price, but the warranty was (supposedly) extended for an additional year to 6 years. I was told before I purchased it, that the stores will not price match online prices like Amazon. Good thing about the warranty, it seems to have stopped working (eco-drive) . 

30 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

You might call Royal and ask about a return.  My wife bought a watch, a cheap one on sale in the Promenade for $20.00,  It stoped working a few weeks after we retuned home.   Our next cruise a year later on a different ship she brought the watch and asked for a replacement,  no problem, she picked a new one and that was it.  They seemed so easy to please you may have no problem getting a refund, please report back how it works out. 

There’s a big difference between a $400 watch and a $20 watch when it comes to refunds especially after a couple of weeks of ownership. They only give you 48 hours to get a price match on a cruise.

11 hours ago, Coralc said:

I shopped on Amazon for Citizen watches before boarding and printed photos and Amazon price. The one I liked that they had onboard was $5 more than the Amazon price, but the warranty was (supposedly) extended for an additional year to 6 years. I was told before I purchased it, that the stores will not price match online prices like Amazon. Good thing about the warranty, it seems to have stopped working (eco-drive) . 

I thought mine had stopped working but it was because the charge had gone to zero since it needs direct light to fully charge. When I put it in my window to get full blast of sun for a couple of days, it started again, but it was jerking forward every two seconds instead of properly. I thought it was broken. Turns out that is a signal that it has stopped and alerts you that the time needs to be adjusted. Set it, and it goes away.

See if that helps. I had given up until I figured it out. (But if yours is in warranty, you are good anyway.)

Mine is now 14 years old, no scratches on the crystal (astounding), and it still runs fine altho the charge seems to be lower. When the battery needs replacing, all the stores say it has to be sent back to Citizen and replacement will cost @ $130 or more. 

11 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

There’s a big difference between a $400 watch and a $20 watch when it comes to refunds especially after a couple of weeks of ownership. They only give you 48 hours to get a price match on a cruise.

Plus, the woman replacing her $20 watch was back at the onboard store a year later. It might be prohibitively expensive to arrange many returns like that!

3 hours ago, mayleeman said:

I thought mine had stopped working but it was because the charge had gone to zero since it needs direct light to fully charge. When I put it in my window to get full blast of sun for a couple of days, it started again, but it was jerking forward every two seconds instead of properly. I thought it was broken. Turns out that is a signal that it has stopped and alerts you that the time needs to be adjusted. Set it, and it goes away.

See if that helps. I had given up until I figured it out. (But if yours is in warranty, you are good anyway.)

Mine is now 14 years old, no scratches on the crystal (astounding), and it still runs fine altho the charge seems to be lower. When the battery needs replacing, all the stores say it has to be sent back to Citizen and replacement will cost @ $130 or more. 

Thanks! I will give that a try first, before sending it back. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, xadidas20x said:

Hello, 

On thing to remember is that the shops on board the ship and not owned or operated by Royal Caribbean. They only lease the space on the ships just like at your local mall or shopping center. This is not only for Royal but for all major lines.

The company is Starboard Cruise Services and they do offer a 30 day price match guarantee.

Price Guarantee

We guarantee to match the price on any identical item. Simply obtain written proof from the authorized retailer and we will gladly match the price or refund the difference.

Price matches for reimbursement must be made in writing within 30 days from the date of purchase and include the advertisement information from the store, including the store phone number.

(Internet pricing excluded from Price Guarantee. Price match policy does not apply to Fine Jewelry items as these are not identical items. Quality, size, weight, design, etc. are unique to each piece and manufacturer.)

They also offer a two year guarantee.

Two Year Guarantee

Starboard is proud to offer a Two Year Guarantee on your purchases of all Fine Jewelry.

Manufacturer's defects reported within two years from the date of purchase and verified by our customer service department will be repaired at the company's expense.

Fine jewelry repair requests must be accompanied by a legible copy of the original gift shop sales receipt.

The fine jewelry two year guarantee is void if all sizing and repairs are not performed through Starboard Cruise Services.

Fine and designer watches are covered under the manufacturer's international warranties and not-returnable. For service, please refer to the manufacturer's authorized service center. For assistance in locating a service center, please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Service Department.

****UPDATE*****

I contacted the company that is behind the onboard cruise shops.  I provided proof of purchase and proof of lower price on Amazon.  I received an email today, the refund difference ($80 and some change) is on it's way back to me!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, xadidas20x said:

****UPDATE*****

I contacted the company that is behind the onboard cruise shops.  I provided proof of purchase and proof of lower price on Amazon.  I received an email today, the refund difference ($80 and some change) is on it's way back to me!

I have to say that I am surprised but good for you!

21 minutes ago, xadidas20x said:

****UPDATE*****

I'm actually shocked...amazing...you learn something new everyday !!

33 minutes ago, xadidas20x said:

****UPDATE*****

WOW, awesome!

We had a similar experience as the OP last month on a BoS cruise.  My wife saw a citizen watch that had a larger dial than her current watch and we had our son check the pricing on Amazon.  The ship watch was $70. below the list price, but it was $110. below on Amazon.  I placed the order on Amazon an it showed up shortly after we got home.  

and re: the ECO watch stopping, my son's ECO watch stopped (due to non-wearing) and we also were able to rejuvenate it by a few days in the window.  Before last cruise mine seemed to be acting up, so I had my son's along in the safe.  5 days in the dark safe and it was still working fine.