Free Air Offer NOT WORTH THE HEADACHE

ccream

Booked the March 3, 2019 cruise on the Breakaway because they were offering free air from Bradley Int'l in CT to MSY in New Orleans. Typically like to fly down the night before and give ourselves plenty of time, but offer only allowed for departure-day flights. They originally booked us on 6 am flight out of CT, with a layover in Atlanta, in New Orleans by 11:30 am. 4 am day of departure we received an email that the flight was delayed until noon. Was able to get rebooked on an earlier flight (10:30 am), departing Atlanta by 1:30 arriving at MSY by 2:30 (cutting it very close for 4 pm departure). 

Once we arrived in MSY it was close to 3, and there was a ground stop due to a lightning storm. There were two reps from Norwegian who told a group of about 30 of us who had been delayed from different parts of the country due to weather that if we wanted to make the ship we needed to leave our luggage behind for the week. NO offer to contact the ship to explain the situation, NO offering to help us in any way whatsoever. Just... if you want to make the ship we need to leave now without any of your luggage and hope that when you get back to the airport next week your luggage is still here.

As you can imagine this angered quite a few passengers who demanded they get on the phone with someone. Our saving grace was the bus driver on the transfer. He came in and calmed everyone down and said the ship wasn't going anywhere, that he was in contact with the port, and that we could wait for our luggage. He did everything in his power to make sure we all made it to the ship with our luggage and we arrived on board at about 4:55 pm. Was disgusted by the two women who initially "greeted" us and made us feel like it was our fault the weather prevented us from being on time.

My suggestion to the Norwegian spies reading this is that if you're going to offer free air, only offer direct flights, or have a package deal where you fly guests down the night before and put them up in a hotel. Would save passengers and staff a lot of aggravation. 

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, ccream said:

Booked the March 3, 2019 cruise on the Breakaway because they were offering free air from Bradley Int'l in CT to MSY in New Orleans. Typically like to fly down the night before and give ourselves plenty of time, but offer only allowed for departure-day flights. They originally booked us on 6 am flight out of CT, with a layover in Atlanta, in New Orleans by 11:30 am. 4 am day of departure we received an email that the flight was delayed until noon. Was able to get rebooked on an earlier flight (10:30 am), departing Atlanta by 1:30 arriving at MSY by 2:30 (cutting it very close for 4 pm departure). 

Once we arrived in MSY it was close to 3, and there was a ground stop due to a lightning storm. There were two reps from Norwegian who told a group of about 30 of us who had been delayed from different parts of the country due to weather that if we wanted to make the ship we needed to leave our luggage behind for the week. NO offer to contact the ship to explain the situation, NO offering to help us in any way whatsoever. Just... if you want to make the ship we need to leave now without any of your luggage and hope that when you get back to the airport next week your luggage is still here.

As you can imagine this angered quite a few passengers who demanded they get on the phone with someone. Our saving grace was the bus driver on the transfer. He came in and calmed everyone down and said the ship wasn't going anywhere, that he was in contact with the port, and that we could wait for our luggage. He did everything in his power to make sure we all made it to the ship with our luggage and we arrived on board at about 4:55 pm. Was disgusted by the two women who initially "greeted" us and made us feel like it was our fault the weather prevented us from being on time.

My suggestion to the Norwegian spies reading this is that if you're going to offer free air, only offer direct flights, or have a package deal where you fly guests down the night before and put them up in a hotel. Would save passengers and staff a lot of aggravation. 

Stressful for sure! Not a good way to start a vacation.

1) cruiselines /airlines are going to book the most economical flights and generally not in the pax favor.

2) Never let anyone but yourself control booking flights.

3) Non-stop fights day off are essential.

4) Always, always fly in the day before, you are more relaxed.

5) is it fair/equitable to the 3,000 other pax who did make it on time to delay the cruise?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

It has been reported here more than a few times they will allow the day before for a $50 fee...

This was only an option for POA sailings up until recently. Definitely something to take advantage of now that it's opened up to the rest of the fleet. 

I've seen the free air offer on the last few cruises I've booked but can't even imagine letting someone else choose my flights.  Flying in the day before is a major must do for me; plus, I almost always check flight prices before I even book the cruise so I know I can do just fine on my own. 

OP, really sorry this turned out to be so stressful for you and hope you have a wonderful cruise. 

Lesson learned the hard way unfortunately.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, newty25 said:

i'll take the free flight and change it if I have to.

Paying the $200 change fee is less than buying the flight anyways.

Or I'll pay to have NCL fly us in the day before.

$200 change fee?

5 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

the only issue with paying the $50 to come in a day earlier is that you have to book your pre cruise hotel thru NCL, which is never cheap.

Not always I think that has change. I looked into to for an upcoming cruise and they allowed just the day early and no hotel. However since I booked a while back the change in fare didn't make it worth while.

6 minutes ago, tokidoki said:

$200 change fee?

I think that's what American charges to change the flight. Once the flight is in my name, I can change it and pay the change fee.

If not, I'll pay for my own airfare. Whichever is cheaper.

With airline's change fee, it's $200 (or whatever any airline charges) plus any increase in fare at the time of the change.    NCL uses bulk fares, so they are lower than what a passenger can book on his/her own.  Some bulk fares have a no refund if cancelled  clause, too - so kinda risky to get NCL air and try to change after it's booked. 

Edited by Always Cruising

I am sure more of these kinds of threads will become more frequent.  Anyone who flies often can tell of all kinds of crazy delays.    I have not religiously read all the threads, but I do not recall anyone missing and having to catch up at the first port.   That would really stink. 

Op. Sorry you had to start your vacation with that stress. I hope the rest of the cruise was great. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ccream said:

You would think that the decisions makers on this so-called Free-bee are quite aware of the pitfalls of same day fly in especially with connecting flights.

The problem is people will complain about having to pay for a hotel because you flew them in for free the day before. It is a no win situation. The last I heard there was a 50.00 pp up charge to fly in the day before and no you don't have to take their hotel at least in the US.

• Like 2

Here's my 2 cents on this.  I took the "free" air since I'm flying from Houston to Los Angeles in April.  At the time,  flights the Fri or Sat before the cruise were quite high.  When I got my flight info it was a non stop early am flight on United  day of the cruise.   Pleased but still a bit nervous,   I called NCL to see if I could fly in a day earlier and was told no, not unless I booked a hotel through them then they would change the flight for free.  Said hotel was gonna be 2 times advertised price since NCL charges hotel per person.  Well, Southwest airlines dropped their Saturday flight to $61, one way so dang this is great.  Pay $61 x 2 people and not have to pay the bagged fee for United.  I even called  NCL and United to make sure this was ok ( only taking the return trip home).  I was told the exact same thing by 5 different reps ... yes, it's ok.  No refund on this as it's a free perk but no problem.(NCL).  Then told no problem, just don't show up and the seat will go to a no show, no refund to NCL(united).  I'm set now.   NOT!!!  Luckily I called last Wednesday to try and pay for the extra leg room seats..    The United rep was so nice and asked if it was both legs of the trip.  Told her I wasn't gonna be on the 1st leg and BOOM, she hit me!  She said if I didn't take 1st leg of trip, 2nd would be automatically cancelled.  If I wanted to cancel the 1st leg, it would be $200 p/p to cancel...  I was super upset since I took the time to call multiple times.   Luckily the supervisor was able to fix this and now everything is ok.  Moral to this is free is not always best.  Double and triple check EVERYTHING and remain calm and have patience.   It will work out!!!

Sorry so long!!!  Lol!!  HAPPY CRUISING!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Astrosgirl05 said:

Here's my 2 cents on this.  I took the "free" air since I'm flying from Houston to Los Angeles in April.  At the time,  flights the Fri or Sat before the cruise were quite high.  When I got my flight info it was a non stop early am flight on United  day of the cruise.   Pleased but still a bit nervous,   I called NCL to see if I could fly in a day earlier and was told no, not unless I booked a hotel through them then they would change the flight for free.  Said hotel was gonna be 2 times advertised price since NCL charges hotel per person.  Well, Southwest airlines dropped their Saturday flight to $61, one way so dang this is great.  Pay $61 x 2 people and not have to pay the bagged fee for United.  I even called  NCL and United to make sure this was ok ( only taking the return trip home).  I was told the exact same thing by 5 different reps ... yes, it's ok.  No refund on this as it's a free perk but no problem.(NCL).  Then told no problem, just don't show up and the seat will go to a no show, no refund to NCL(united).  I'm set now.   NOT!!!  Luckily I called last Wednesday to try and pay for the extra leg room seats..    The United rep was so nice and asked if it was both legs of the trip.  Told her I wasn't gonna be on the 1st leg and BOOM, she hit me!  She said if I didn't take 1st leg of trip, 2nd would be automatically cancelled.  If I wanted to cancel the 1st leg, it would be $200 p/p to cancel...  I was super upset since I took the time to call multiple times.   Luckily the supervisor was able to fix this and now everything is ok.  Moral to this is free is not always best.  Double and triple check EVERYTHING and remain calm and have patience.   It will work out!!!

Sorry so long!!!  Lol!!  HAPPY CRUISING!

That is true when it comes to not taking the first leg on a flight. The airline immediately cancels the return leg. Just shows that the people at NCL are promoting a so-called Free-bee to fill cabins but know little if anything about the rules of flying. Telling a customer just not to show up is nothing short of ridiculous.

I don't fly much so I did not know this.   That is also why I called them several times.  I did also call United and 2 different people told me it was not a restricted flight and  not showing up is fine.  I'm just glad I called again.   For future I just dont think the free air is the best idea.  If  they allowed you to fly in the day before and also allowed you to book your own hotel, then I might feel different. 

• Like 1

I really just wish NCL would forgo this promotion.  We all know nothing is actually free.  They have built the cost into the cruise fare, as they do with all of their promotions.   I'd never let a cruise line book our air for me.  We prefer to be in control of that ourselves.  I wish they would just skip the air promos and go back to offering OBC instead, as it's something we would actually use.

• Like 4

We have not used the free/reduced air yet but we do have it booked next April for a Panama Canal cruise that starts in New York and ends in Seattle. Flight s are from Detroit to New York and Seattle to Detroit. Cost is $99 per person and total of $50 more for deviation to fly into New York two days before cruise and do not have to book hotel with NCL. For a total of $250 worth the gamble. Also in last week had two price drops on cruise totaling $600. Time will tell if a good decision or not.

13 hours ago, ccream said:

Come on.  NCL doesn't care about you.  They care about profit.  If they have a free air promo you better believe your flight(s) will be the cheapest possible.  Just enough to fulfill the promo.  So your luggage doesn't make it.  Why would NCL care?

I just booked a cruise today with free air promo from Denver to Orlando for $99 round trip. We are flying in a day early and NCL charged us $25 per person.  We are also flying out day after cruise for $25 per person. And we do not have to book hotel through NCL.  Hopefully it all goes well!

We are booked on a 15 day cruise next year on the Star from Santiago, Chile to Port Canaveral that included air with Ncl. US air carriers charge a lot of money for  one way air flights. Ncl flights costs of 499 from our city is over 1/2 off any available fares advertised.

But the extra money to book a  night would cost us including deviation/hotel fees close to 500 dollars.. and with our first port we visit is under 100 miles from our embarkment point, we may be willing to risk the scenario of missing our first day on the cruise.

So does anyone know  if it worst case happenned and we arrive in South America  late,what would be NCL's responsibilities to get us onto the ship.. we decided to use ncl insurance for added protection.. so we believe we should be covered.. and  assume hotel, meals and ground transportation would be provided..  any experiences?