Help me understand

sarajean

Another great to know thing about ncl is that sometimes they off up some really good extra perks on top of perks.  If you become educated about their pricing structures you can pick up some great deals,  for superior itineraries.  Suites on ncl are typically very high priced but occasionally they’ll offer up some great deals that happen to coincide with some pretty excellent extra perks.  We snagged a Haven suite that came with a good chunk of ncl obc and all free at sea. It also has their distinctive voyage credits which basically makes all 12 of our excursions next to nothing. Also has a double internet package we’ll upgrade to unlimited for a reasonable fee. I didn’t take the beverage package because we don’t benefit even at $20 pp pd.  They don’t let a Haven suite switch to a soda or water pkg in lieu of the alcohol package but it’s a minor irritant. All in it’s still a VERY expensive vacation and yes, I do have a certain level of expectations that mirrors what I’ve come to expect from their Haven experience despite the fact I’m on a “casual vacation” I’m pretty sure it will be an excellent month in Europe. Folks who know a decent deal and great itinerary when they see it snag them.  Our sailing sold out of in the Haven over a year ago. A few cancellations have popped up here and there but not at original offered prices. 

• Like 1

Hi

I agree that most of the people who complain do so because they haven't done their research. If they know something is going to be a certain way, then they have no reason to complain. It is when they "think" something is going to be a certain way and it isn't, that's when they feel they have been wronged. 

When prices go up, or someone isn't aware of a change, it's "nickel & diming" or the dreaded "cutbacks". 😁 For those that still don't understand, this is normal in business.

You are still the customer, if you don't like the product, you can choose another option. As others have pointed out, since this site is called cruise critic, many feel the stress is on the "critic". I do also agree that most on this site just want to help keep us all informed of recent changes. This is to our advantage. If you do keep informed, you will have fewer surprises.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nic6318 said:

I agree that most of the people who complain do so because they haven't done their research. If they know something is going to be a certain way, then they have no reason to complain. It is when they "think" something is going to be a certain way and it isn't, that's when they feel they have been wronged. 

Indeed.  I think the most common cause of negative reviews are failure to research and exceptionally high expectations.  Either of those issues can cause an otherwise good experience to seem bad to certain people.

I also think that people need to recognize inconsistency plays a role.  Whatever the reason, sometimes things just feel off.  I had an NCL cruise with poor MDR service, marginal bar service, and one particular interaction with a crew member that was far outside the norm on any cruise line.  But that was one cruise... not one I look back on fondly.  After that experience I realized I could analyze, hypothesize, and complain, or I could go in with a positive attitude and try again.  The next NCL cruise was great!

10 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

No need, ever, to pay any Nicole’s or dimes. 

Personally, I never skip the gratuities, even when some of it is going to Nicole.  🙂

• Like 2

Since I booked my first ever NCL cruise, I’ve been bait-and-switched four times. Meaning, what I signed up and paid for is not what I’m getting due to policy changes, with no reasonable recourse. This has never happened to me with any other company, cruise line or otherwise.

Unless I’m absolutely blown away, my upcoming cruise will likely be both my first and last cruise with NCL. I think I may go back to RCCL and I’m curious about MSC (but the multiple formal nights kill it for me). 

• Like 1

I guess you can call me an NCL loyalist as I have not tried any other line. We found NCL back in 2002 and have not looked elsewhere - we only cruise occasionally - once every 4yrs or so. When we do it is a major vacation for us. We have done Alaska 3x and Hawaii once, our last cruise was on the Dawn to Canada and New England. Our next cruise is on the Gem in about 300 days. We are more about the destination and less about the ship.

I have never felt nicked and dimed on any NCL cruise - that said I also have avoided the newer Mega Ships preferring to stick to the Jewel class ships.

Another item I have found since joining CC is the M&G - the NCL staff who show up for these do take their jobs seriously - and they feel their job is providing you with the best possible cruise experience. They all realize that we post on this and maybe other forums and people read and listen to what is posted. They would all prefer that if you have issues, that you contact them directly about it so they can take corrective action and get your cruise experience back on track.

2 hours ago, bonvoyagie said:

Another item I have found since joining CC is the M&G - the NCL staff who show up for these do take their jobs seriously - and they feel their job is providing you with the best possible cruise experience. They all realize that we post on this and maybe other forums and people read and listen to what is posted. They would all prefer that if you have issues, that you contact them directly about it so they can take corrective action and get your cruise experience back on track.

True. The onboard staff are very focused on service and they want you to have a good time. However, the general disappointment being discussed here relates to changes and policies that have been implemented shoreside. The onboard employees are not empowered to  correct the things being discussed here. In fact, if you discuss these things with them, many will say they could get in trouble for changing any directives coming from shoreside.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, sarajean said:

Whenever I book a cruise I go on cruise critic and read reviews and posts, especially the cruise line I am going on.

My next cruise is with NCL.   To my dismay the NCL post are so negative.  People feel they nickel and dime,  change things constantly  and have raised the price of the cruise considerably.  

So I started reading some of the other cruise lines post.   People seem to not be so negative about the other cruise lines.  They seem to ask questions more for information than knocking the cruise line they are sailing on.

My first question is why do you still book NCL cruises if you are so unhappy?

Are they really that terribly about their charges?

Hasn’t cruising just changed in general?   Haven’t times changed?  Cost are crazy all over the place (just think when you go to the grocery store).

Gee sounds like what I was just saying about tips: Let's run to CC to gripe about something. If you don't like the reviews then choose another line. How do we know why people people post negatives? 

13 hours ago, blcruising said:

NCL has the highest prices when compared to what you get. Highest service charge % in the industry. Highest priced beverage package for very limited inclusions. Highest price pay as you go bar menu. Highest priced shore excursions when compared to the exact excursions on other lines.

I am not sure you are correct with all your comments, they are opinions but not necessarily fact: 1-no way to compare cost of excursions as there are rarely 2 identical ones. 2-highest price gratuities, have your priced or sailed on Disney? 

3-drink package you are 100% correct  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

I am not sure you are correct with all your comments, they are opinions but not necessarily fact: 1-no way to compare cost of excursions as there are rarely 2 identical ones. 2-highest price gratuities, have your priced or sailed on Disney? 

3-drink package you are 100% correct  

Please allow me to correct your uncertainty.

I stand by the facts that I wrote in their entirety.

Excursions are, in fact, operated by the same tour operators across multiple lines. They all do the same thing in the same ports. But don't believe me, just go to the individual cruise websites and verify for yourself. NCL prices are, in fact, 20-30% higher for exact tours operated by the same operators for other cruise lines.

I have not sailed on Disney and don't intend to. Their prices don't justify the experience provided for me. However, a quick review of Disney's website shows a daily charge me for the $13.50. NCL is the industry leader at $14.99. Again,verify this for yourself.

Drink packages you've acknowledged.

• Like 1

As you can see by my signature below we're pretty much NCL loyalists.  We've  sailed on Celebrity once so we cannot compare-and-contrast the other cruise lines as so many of the folks here can do.

One word of advice re: bad reviews of ANY cruise line;  look at how many posts the user has written.  If it's under 10 posts it could be a troll or simply someone who hasn't had much previous cruising experience.  As many others have pointed out, people have a tendency to complain more and praise less.  Human nature, I guess.

3 hours ago, gooch47 said:

I sometimes think people are more inclined to publish a bad review than a good one.

I feel the same.  What works for one person, doesn’t work for another.

I don’t limit myself to one cruise line.  I always shop for a cruise based on itinerary and price.  It just so happens NCL clocks in as extremely competitive price wise.  So, that’s why I’m Latitudes Platinum with them.

But, you have to make apples-apples comparisons.

I sailed Escape a few weeks ago.  My fare, in total, was ~$2,300 for a mini-suite with a large balcony.  I paid an additional ~$150 for the drink package tips.  Another ~$20 for Specialty Dining tips.   I got $50 per excursion credit. I received ~$400 in OBC from both NCL, AMEX and my TA.

I looked at MSC, CCL, Celebrity and RCCL.....NONE OF THEM could come remotely close to that deal.  That’s been true of my cruises with them over the last few years...again comparing like for like.

When taken as a whole, I find NCL to be as good, or better price wise with the others.

Can you go the most expensive route with them?  Sure can.  If you take a fare that doesn’t include the perks, you get a cheap price.  But, if you then pay a la carte for drinks, specialty restaurants, etc, you can run up a pretty big bill that’s likely to be more than taking a more expensive fare with all the perks.

Edited by graphicguy

9 hours ago, slugg said:

Since I booked my first ever NCL cruise, I’ve been bait-and-switched four times. Meaning, what I signed up and paid for is not what I’m getting due to policy changes, with no reasonable recourse. This has never happened to me with any other company, cruise line or otherwise.

Unless I’m absolutely blown away, my upcoming cruise will likely be both my first and last cruise with NCL. I think I may go back to RCCL and I’m curious about MSC (but the multiple formal nights kill it for me). 

You haven't been baited and switched, look at the definition, what you encountered is policy changes.  But if you still think you have been baited and switched, please report NCL, so you can find out one way or another and then report back to all of us.  

Why do you see so many negative comments of that type?  It is because basic math is the bane of many cruisers.  Time after time you can read their posts and realize the concept of having paid options available or the ability to look at the value of a total package is beyond their abilities.

9 hours ago, NLH Arizona said:

You haven't been baited and switched, look at the definition, what you encountered is policy changes.  But if you still think you have been baited and switched, please report NCL, so you can find out one way or another and then report back to all of us.  

There is a difference between law and ethics. NCL is very good at technically following the law. They don’t care about ethics. 

22 minutes ago, slugg said:

There is a difference between law and ethics. NCL is very good at technically following the law. They don’t care about ethics. 

But accusing a company of bait and switch is accusing them of breaking the law and my point was there was no laws broken.  We might not like the ethics of a company and then it is our choice to not do business with them. 

20 hours ago, slugg said:

Could you please provide some details?  I've seen some other posts from you that seemed positive, so I was surprised to see this.

As mentioned by others, bait and switch has a very narrow definition and it tends to be viewed negatively by a lot of people when it is used to broadly describe something you feel is unfair.  Not saying that something shady didn't happen or that you didn't experience bad service (I simply don't know at this point), just explaining this thread is drifting to a more negative tone.

If I remember correctly, you did upgrade and/or bid for this cruise, and as I understand that such changes can sometimes result in modification or loss of perks and deals.  Navigating that maze is probably one of the best arguments for a good TA.

There are also changes that just happen, some fair and others not so much.  If a safety review means the height requirement for go-carts changes, I totally get that.  Some kids may be disappointed, but if new information led to a new policy, that's all there is to it. 

Some other changes though can seriously impact the value of something you thought you were getting, and have no apparent rational other than profit maximization.  Regardless of what the cruise contract states, that sucks when it happens.

2 minutes ago, AL3XCruise said:

Could you please provide some details?  I've seen some other posts from you that seemed positive, so I was surprised to see this.

As mentioned by others, bait and switch has a very narrow definition and it tends to be viewed negatively by a lot of people when it is used to broadly describe something you feel is unfair.  Not saying that something shady didn't happen or that you didn't experience bad service (I simply don't know at this point), just explaining this thread is drifting to a more negative tone.

If I remember correctly, you did upgrade and/or bid for this cruise, and as I understand that such changes can sometimes result in modification or loss of perks and deals.  Navigating that maze is probably one of the best arguments for a good TA.

There are also changes that just happen, some fair and others not so much.  If a safety review means the height requirement for go-carts changes, I totally get that.  Some kids may be disappointed, but if new information led to a new policy, that's all there is to it. 

Some other changes though can seriously impact the value of something you thought you were getting, and have no apparent rational other than profit maximization.  Regardless of what the cruise contract states, that sucks when it happens.

Well the big one was the changes to the drink prices. This has since been “fixed,” except now the selection for sparkling wine is down to literally ONE, and it does not look good. The next step up is a price gouge. It’s mostly a non issue now, but my point is that NCL did this to begin with. The fact that they think these kinds of changes are okay to roll out so suddenly honestly makes me nervous about the trip.

The upcharge for shrimp cocktail is really lame. It makes NCL look cheap and tacky, and at the time of signing up and paying for everything, it wasn’t an additional upcharge. This is a matter of principle, not the $4.99. It makes me think, “what other surprises will I experience on my trip?”

The absolute first bait and switch was the price for the cruise itself. As someone new to NCL, I expected to pay taxes and a daily surcharge, but I didn’t expect to pay gratuity on “free” perks. Still, the actual dollar amount worked out for me, but I felt like the practice was dishonest and intentionally advertised one thing, but charged another. Yes yes, fine print, blah blah blah. I am aware, and no, fine print does not make something okay; it just makes it legal. A more honest practice would have been to just simply offer 80% off the drink package; then you’re calling a spade a spade! Heck, I would even prefer truly free perks, but with higher base fare costs. Again, it’s not about the dollar amount, it’s about the delivery and honesty.

The last one is the Vibe Beach Club cost. It doubled in price since I made final payment on my cruise up to now, three weeks before embarking. That’s definitely not what I signed up for. I already know what some people will say: that I didn’t read the fine print. I did, I am aware they they can change anything at any time, but the way they do it is, in my opinion, unethical. I don’t like this; it’s abusive to customers, in my opinion. Yet again, it makes me have a constant defensive guard over what they may attempt while I’m on board. 

I actually never lost any of my perks and I’ve been very happy with my travel agency. Zero issues there. Quite the contrary; they’ve been able to squeeze in extra value for me! I’ll definitely be using them again!

18 minutes ago, slugg said:

As someone new to NCL, I expected to pay taxes and a daily surcharge, but I didn’t expect to pay gratuity on “free” perks. Still, the actual dollar amount worked out for me, but I felt like the practice was dishonest and intentionally advertised one thing, but charged another.

You selected that promo. Once you selected it, the promo service charge was added. It's visible long before entering any form of payment.

19 minutes ago, slugg said:

Heck, I would even prefer truly free perks, but with higher base fare costs.

If NCL did that, non-drinkers would be paying for something that they don't want/need.

17 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

You selected that promo. Once you selected it, the promo service charge was added. It's visible long before entering any form of payment.

If NCL did that, non-drinkers would be paying for something that they don't want/need.

If I have to pay more for something that is free, then it isn’t free. Advertise it as 80% off and I’m fine with it. The way it’s currently packaged and advertised is misleading and deceptive. Yes, I know how to read, probably better than most, despite English not even being my first language. 

I honestly don’t understand why people defend NCL so much. 

45 minutes ago, slugg said:

Well the big one was the changes to the drink prices. This has since been “fixed,” except now the selection for sparkling wine is down to literally ONE, and it does not look good. The next step up is a price gouge. It’s mostly a non issue now, but my point is that NCL did this to begin with.

I doubt anyone is happy with the change, but to be fair I don't expect restaurants to maintain their pricing because I purchased a gift card.  I realize the issue is a bit different if it moves the price outside of the beverage package perk; I'll admit if I wanted a specific wine that I expected to be free was now going to cost something I'd be irritated, but I'd just try something else or pay extra.  If I felt NCL was making changes to often and to egregiously, I'd look elsewhere for a cruise.

48 minutes ago, slugg said:

The absolute first bait and switch was the price for the cruise itself. As someone new to NCL, I expected to pay taxes and a daily surcharge, but I didn’t expect to pay gratuity on “free” perks. Still, the actual dollar amount worked out for me, but I felt like the practice was dishonest and intentionally advertised one thing, but charged another.

I guess I've worked in a situations where legalese and fine print matters enough I immediately go looking for it on virtually any big purpose.  Still, I do understand why the policy upsets people.  I think its safe to say there is never going to be a consensus on this board about the practice, so discussing if it is ethical or not isn't a can of worms worth opening.  However, as I said before using an inflammatory term like bait and switch tends to bring out unsympathetic responses.  It also is kind of ironic to make an technically incorrect statement in an attempt to influence people because you are unhappy with a technically correct statement made by a company in an effort to influence people.  I'm not saying I don't respect your frustration or that you disagree with their marketing efforts, but when terms have potentially libelous connotations it is best to stay away from them.

57 minutes ago, slugg said:

I actually never lost any of my perks and I’ve been very happy with my travel agency. Zero issues there. Quite the contrary; they’ve been able to squeeze in extra value for me! I’ll definitely be using them again!

It sounds like they have done a lot of good, though I would have hoped they'd made you aware of the gratuities issue.  Regardless of your view on perks, they are what they are and I'd want a travel agent to make certain I know all applicable costs up front.

16 minutes ago, slugg said:

I don't understand either sometimes.  There are plenty of issues where NCL is hardly blameless.  I appreciate you taking the time to expand on the issues you had.  It lets me (and others) understand which part of your experiences would impact  future decision making.

It sounds like regardless of these issues you have an exciting trip coming up, and I hope you have an opportunity to focus on the positives and enjoy the cruise fully!

47 minutes ago, slugg said:

Yes, I know how to read, probably better than most, despite English not even being my first language. 

I wasn't questioning anyone's ability to read. The promo is simply an option for people to either take or leave.

If the cruise was $1,000 with the UBP promo or $1,000 without the UBP promo, it might make some people happy but others who don't drink would complain. The alternative is a cruise that is $1,000 with the UBP promo or $800 without the UBP promo and people who select the UBP promo pay an extra $200 over those who don't. 

53 minutes ago, slugg said:

It's not a defense of NCL. Believe me, I rip into them whenever it is deserved. :classic_tongue:

It's the fact that when people are given choices that cost extra, it is a problem.

When people aren't given choices and costs are included for unwanted things, it is a problem. 

There is no pricing model that would make everyone happy. 

8 hours ago, slugg said:

Well the big one was the changes to the drink prices. This has since been “fixed,” except now the selection for sparkling wine is down to literally ONE, and it does not look good. The next step up is a price gouge. It’s mostly a non issue now, but my point is that NCL did this to begin with. The fact that they think these kinds of changes are okay to roll out so suddenly honestly makes me nervous about the trip.

The upcharge for shrimp cocktail is really lame. It makes NCL look cheap and tacky, and at the time of signing up and paying for everything, it wasn’t an additional upcharge. This is a matter of principle, not the $4.99. It makes me think, “what other surprises will I experience on my trip?”

The absolute first bait and switch was the price for the cruise itself. As someone new to NCL, I expected to pay taxes and a daily surcharge, but I didn’t expect to pay gratuity on “free” perks. Still, the actual dollar amount worked out for me, but I felt like the practice was dishonest and intentionally advertised one thing, but charged another. Yes yes, fine print, blah blah blah. I am aware, and no, fine print does not make something okay; it just makes it legal. A more honest practice would have been to just simply offer 80% off the drink package; then you’re calling a spade a spade! Heck, I would even prefer truly free perks, but with higher base fare costs. Again, it’s not about the dollar amount, it’s about the delivery and honesty.

The last one is the Vibe Beach Club cost. It doubled in price since I made final payment on my cruise up to now, three weeks before embarking. That’s definitely not what I signed up for. I already know what some people will say: that I didn’t read the fine print. I did, I am aware they they can change anything at any time, but the way they do it is, in my opinion, unethical. I don’t like this; it’s abusive to customers, in my opinion. Yet again, it makes me have a constant defensive guard over what they may attempt while I’m on board. 

Well lets look at it in another light: 1-what happened to you is certainly not bait and switch in any way: 2-drink prices can go up of down, you choose the UBP as many of us do. When you choose it was there a disclaimer that said some prices may vary before your cruise or all the prices listed today will be available when you sail? 

Shrimp cocktail: again, nothing similar to bait and switch: I agree it is a stupid and lame: 3-paying tips on the free booze package: of course you should. If you have a 2 for 1 dinner coupon at your favorite restaurant would you pay gratuities based on what you would pay for the free meal as well? In fact often a couple will mention tipping on the discounted part as well: Vibe; not bail and switch at all: if you paid for your Vibe pass ahead of time, I would understand your point but again prices go up and down and this has nothing to do with whether you have made final payment on your cruise.  

On 3/30/2019 at 12:16 PM, sarajean said:

Whenever I book a cruise I go on cruise critic and read reviews and posts, especially the cruise line I am going on.

My next cruise is with NCL.   To my dismay the NCL post are so negative.  People feel they nickel and dime,  change things constantly  and have raised the price of the cruise considerably.  

So I started reading some of the other cruise lines post.   People seem to not be so negative about the other cruise lines.  They seem to ask questions more for information than knocking the cruise line they are sailing on.

My first question is why do you still book NCL cruises if you are so unhappy?

Are they really that terribly about their charges?

Hasn’t cruising just changed in general?   Haven’t times changed?  Cost are crazy all over the place (just think when you go to the grocery store).

It all has to do with the moderation on this forum vs. the other cruise lines' forums. Certain things are tolerated here that are not tolerated by the others. That makes for a nastier forum. Otherwise, the cruise lines are basically the same. You constantly have people jumping ship from one to the other thinking the grass will be greener. Most discover that it's all a toss up.

• Like 1

Ncl was the first cruise line to own  their own Island...they were the first to invent "freestyle cruising"...think about it...this draws a certain kind of cruiser.  NCL cruisers are ( in general) free spirits.  

Chances are NCL cruisers are online for BLack Friday deals etc.  We have " how little did you pay for how much did you get?" conversations onboard the ship and in CC.

Bottom line...NCL has great itineries  that some of the other lines don't have. They try new entertainment more than some other cruises.....NCL experiments more with different ideas and that may be why things change so much...because the ideas wern't good. NCL puts itself out there and as a result it is in a position to get more feedback...yah or nay😉 

If I want to do a long cruise ie. 25-50 days I'll take an inside cabin on Princess ( the nice ones at the back of the ship, near the adult pool) book it B2B2B etc and rack in the OB credit which will proberly be over $1000 even with an inside cabin.  I'll get free laundry and my free cabin bar will be replinished with every "new" sailing....This Princess cruise becomes very affordable. even though I'm gone for a month or more.  There will be very little CC posts except for the b2b cruisers and mostly the discussions will be about joining up in shore excursions for the many ports. A M%G will proberly have 10-30 people show up...maybe🤗

Celebrity has different "events" type cruises and the CC posts will focus on those events.  You will also find that Celebrity people start "book clubs" while on board with books relating to the different ports of call. ...Celebrity cruisers seem to stick together more and after meeting new friends start planning the next cruise.  I have been on one cc post that has the same people for almost 7 years planning one cruise after another.... The first time I logged on to that post the people were talking about their red toaster that they got on sale...I was totally confused and found out that this post was already in it's 3rd year...yet they welcomed me with open arms. A M&G will have about 100 people show up and some ships have  given us prime rib and shrimp and open bar.

Costa and Holland cruisers don't seem to use CC that much. 

Carnival M&G are usually a bunch of no shows.  I've been on Carnival ships and have asked people ( who have dozens and dozens of Carnival cruises under their belts) why do they just go on Carnival....the answer is always the same...the cruises are cheap and the food is good.

MSC has been in the Caribbean here for over a decade but in Europe...for many decades....They are part of the MSC shipping Lines...notice the big trucks on the highway.  MSC is very European in decor and food.  I can remember our first MSC cruise , my husband couldn't find the safe.  He looked everywhere and I was lying on the bed looking at the room and noticed that the mirror over the desk was not flush against the wall...told him to go and see if the mirror opened...Voila!!! a safe LOL  There was a sailing away party that was a real party in which the whole ship seemed to take part in...the training  of the staff was different.  You never saw them standing around talking to each other but they were busy engaging the passengers to participate....some of those things have changed over the years as those ship have "americanized"

Back to NCL...the passengers are just a little different because NCL is ...remember when the sailing in Hawaii almost bankrupted NCL because they could only have Americaans working on board...and the "Americans" kept jumping ship in the Islands because they didn't want to work so hard...😂 That was an NCL idea that didn't pan out too well.

Not all CC posts are the same...NCL posts are a little off kilter at times...because NCL prides itself on trying things differently and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.😍

• Thanks 1