Possible to Downgrade included Classic Beverage Package?

GoHoward

My wife and I are sailing on the Summit this summer, and we both have the Classic Beverage Package included as a perk.  My wife does not drink alcohol and will only use the CBP for specialty teas and juices - would Celebrity allow us to downgrade her package to a nonalcoholic plan, and apply the difference to upgrading my package to a Premium beverage package?

I'm assuming not, but thought I would ask the Celebrity CC community just in case it is possible - thanks in advance!

Sounds like you have the classic bev as a perk. Depending upon when you purchased it there is other perk options.  The question would be can you change them alter booking and will they let you split them.  

Your TA should know. 

I think you'll find the answer is no. Both adults in the same room must have the same level of drinks package and it's a 'perk', so as such, can only be used as offered. An upgrade to the Premium package is $11.80 per day but many people find they don't need it as the Classic covers quite a bit. I did upgrade mine alone on board on our last cruise as my wife also doesn't drink, but it was still handy for her sodas and mocktails, which she loved.

Edited by Guindalf

43 minutes ago, Guindalf said:

I think you'll find the answer is no. Both adults in the same room must have the same level of drinks package and it's a 'perk', so as such, can only be used as offered. An upgrade to the Premium package is $11.80 per day but many people find they don't need it as the Classic covers quite a bit. I did upgrade mine alone on board on our last cruise as my wife also doesn't drink, but it was still handy for her sodas and mocktails, which she loved.

Thanks - I thought that would probably be the answer, but wanted to consult the sages on this forum first. We're looking forward to our first cruise on Celebrity, after several on HAL!

Both people do not have to have the same package if it is a Purchase. 

Why do people keep saying that???

I have had Premium and spouse Classic... It was upgraded on the ship

Worth asking Captains Club-- however since it was a Perk--they may not 
"split the difference"  Worth a try--and honestly--may be worth calling or having TA call a few times over the course of weeks before a sailing. 

AND lastly try at GS onboard.  You never know.  We know they can downgrade a Classic package to a non alcohol package onboard

Stranger things have happened and people here on CC report  X makes accommodations for things even when the "rules" are different.

23 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

I have had Premium and spouse Classic... It was upgraded on the ship

Worth asking Captains Club-- however since it was a Perk--they may not 
"split the difference"  Worth a try--and honestly--may be worth calling or having TA call a few times over the course of weeks before a sailing. 

AND lastly try at GS onboard.  You never know.  We know they can downgrade a Classic package to a non alcohol package onboard

Stranger things have happened and people here on CC report  X makes accommodations for things even when the "rules" are different.

The OP has it as a perk. Not a purchase.

13 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

The OP has it as a perk. Not a purchase.

Even if it is a perk you can still have one guest on classic and the other on premium. 

I’ve just done this and paid 11.80 per day for my DH so he can enjoy the drinks he likes on the more expensive package. We both had classic as a perk. Used OBC to play for the upgrade. 

15 hours ago, GoHoward said:

My wife and I are sailing on the Summit this summer, and we both have the Classic Beverage Package included as a perk.  My wife does not drink alcohol and will only use the CBP for specialty teas and juices - would Celebrity allow us to downgrade her package to a nonalcoholic plan, and apply the difference to upgrading my package to a Premium beverage package?

I'm assuming not, but thought I would ask the Celebrity CC community just in case it is possible - thanks in advance!

I don't know if they would do what you are suggesting.

But your wife should be able to exchange her classic alcoholic package for a premium non-alcoholic beverage package.

On the Summit, when we both received the classic beverage package as a perk, we would ask Guest Relations to exchange one of them for a premium non-alcoholic beverage package. 

It was done quickly and immediately with no hassle at all, so apparently that is something they commonly do.

4 hours ago, Fogfog said:

Perhaps, because non one on this thread said such a thing?

Maybe you are misunderstanding the difference between a perk and a purchase?

4 hours ago, sandancer said:

Even if it is a perk you can still have one guest on classic and the other on premium. 

I’ve just done this and paid 11.80 per day for my DH so he can enjoy the drinks he likes on the more expensive package. We both had classic as a perk. Used OBC to play for the upgrade. 

Bingo!

We're sailing on the Summit next month and got the Classic as a perk and the other person in my cabin upgraded to the Premium while I did not.

Sailed on the Edge in January and I didn't have a drink package and the other person purchased the Classic once onboard.

No requirement for both to have a package and no requirement for both to have the same one.

I really appreciate everyone's helpful advice and experiences. We are receiving both beverage packages as a perk, and from the discussion it sounds like (1) I can upgrade to the premium package, (2) my wife may or may not be able to change her plan to the premium nonalcoholic package, and (3) whether my wife's change will yield a credit that can be applied to the cost of my upgrade is unknown / doubtful.

We'll give it a go onboard -- we sail on the Summit in June - and report back.

From this discussion, it sounds like you can downgrade a classic alcohol package to a non-alcoholic package onboard w/Guest Relations, but not in advance over the phone. And I would assume you can’t do it in advance because the call centers don’t have that capability programmed by IT in their computer system??

I’ve found through experience over the years that there are certain things that can be done onboard that can’t be done by call centers. And vice versa. 

We were on the Silhouette in August. We had the classic alcoholic beverage package as a perk. I don't drink alcohol and was able to downgrade to a premium non-alcoholic package but only with great difficulty.  They checked with HQ and all the bars before they gave the OK.  At first they thought I wanted a refund of the difference in cost and only agreed to try to get me the downgrade when I assured them I didn't expect any money back.