Plastic Straws are Gone..... But Wait....

BirdTravels

19 minutes ago, wdsted said:

Interesting that they list the contents found...yet no mention what-so-ever of plastic straws. 

On the topic of interesting articles:

https://nypost.com/2018/07/02/banning-plastic-straws-is-more-scam-than-science/

Banning plastic straws is more scam than science

Don’t sip the Kool-Aid: Banning plastic straws is no way to save the environment.

Seattle just became the first US city to impose the trendy ban, and New York may soon follow suit, with Mayor Bill de Blasio backing an anti-straw City Council bill.

But even a national ban wouldn’t dent worldwide plastic output. Nor does any serious research justify targeting straws: The oft-cited figure that Americans use 500 million plastic straws a day comes from a survey conducted by a 9-year-old.

Even ban proponents admit the cause is a con: “Our straw campaign is not really about straws,” Dune Ives, executive director of the outfit that pushed hardest for Seattle’s ban, told Vox. “It’s about pointing out how prevalent single-use plastics are in our lives.”

Meaning: It’s not just the straws, but the plastic bags, red Solo cups and so on. The green conceit is that plastic is bad — even if alternate materials really don’t net out as more enviro-friendly.

Notably, those supposedly more-eco-friendly straws made from plant-based materials also take forever to decompose. If they end up in the ocean, they’re just as likely to harm sea creatures as plastic ones.

And making paper straws creates more air pollution — plus you often have to use more than one, after the first gets too soggy.

Just as with the city’s coming ban on Styrofoam, this isn’t about science, but sentiment. Activists figure they can win on the issue (or at least use it to build their fund-raising lists) because it sounds environmentally responsible.

Thing is, feeling like you’re doing something to save the planet doesn’t do any good if you’re not willing to actually think about it.

Yes..."because it sounds environmentally responsible", not because it IS environmentally responsible. 🙄

Edited by SeaShark
  • Like 2

On 4/5/2019 at 8:48 PM, SeaShark said:

Don't we actually have plastic straws because they have a lower environmental impact that the paper straws we used to use? Didn't we "start somewhere" by moving from biodegradable paper to plastic?

I don't believe the introduction of plastic straws was ever associated with a lower environmental impact.  It was during an era when ease of use and a ready supply was paramount.  

So the “no plastic straws” is a combination of “we’re the good guys for the environment” (same logic as “no more towel animals”) and coincidentally NCL saves $$$ for both, and can sell metal straws for a nice profit.  Score one for NCL’s bottom line!!

Having said that, NCL is a business, not a charity.  They are entitled to make a profit, cut costs, run their business however they choose.  We the consumer are entitled to vote with our wallets if it IS that big of a deal to us.  I personally don’t care too much about the no straws or no towel animals - yep a bit of regret cuz I like both, but life goes on—but I do like honesty, not fake environmentalism.  I also have a job where marketing/public perception play a role, so I understand what they are doing.  It just rubs me the wrong way, but not enough to jump ship over straws or towels or BS.

Not that I want to get into a discussion on the pros or cons of plastic straws, but I am wondering...from anyone that has used a collapsible straw...are there any issues with the "seal"?  Or do you tend to draw air, like a plastic straw with a small crack or defect in it?

2 hours ago, Prnsessmoi said:

Not that I want to get into a discussion on the pros or cons of plastic straws, but I am wondering...from anyone that has used a collapsible straw...are there any issues with the "seal"?  Or do you tend to draw air, like a plastic straw with a small crack or defect in it?

Yes, the seals introduce air into the drink. This causes all sorts of issues, but mainly, you get bloated and have to burp a lot. Carbonated drinks get extra fizzy, too. And cleaning them is an issue by hand, regardless if it’s collapsible or not. You really need to stick them in the dishwasher with stronger detergent and higher temperatures. 

My honest recommendation, to be as environmentally conscious as possible, is to use plastic straws (bring them yourself), reuse them until they are gross (grabbing new ones as needed), and just personally making sure they get thrown away on the ship, rather than blowing overboard. Once in a waste bin, the crew will dispose of it responsibly.

On 4/7/2019 at 8:11 AM, BirdTravels said:

Last fall, we were on the Getaway and there were no straws. 4500 passengers got along fine without them.  Yeah,,, some whining, but no one stopped drinking 😉

We were on one of the first "no straw" cruises and people did complain, constantly.  Luckily I had read about this and brought a box of straws. I handed them out the whole cruise.  Our first stop in Costa Maya people were looking for places to buy straws.  At Harvest Bay the bartenders were giving out handfuls of straws to people.  I will be bringing my plastic straws for my upcoming cruise this year also.  I hate paper straws, not only do they fall apart but they have a funny taste also, IMO.

• Like 2

On 4/5/2019 at 1:44 PM, BirdTravels said:

NCL and other cruise lines have stopped giving out plastic straws to help reduce the environmental impact of cruise ships. 

Paper straws from the past.... just don’t cut it. 

But wait....

You can be the owner of an official collapsible NCL stainless steel straw. It folds into a convenient carrying case that clips to your belt.

Available now on a NCL gift shop near you!

6F24CEEF-AD5A-4B5C-A520-565258D433ED.jpeg

F185DACF-02DE-4718-972F-FAE62916C4E6.jpeg

and this is the reason they got rid of straws, so they could sell them for 8 dollars 🤣🤣😏 but yes, part of the money is going to clean our oceans. 

4 minutes ago, spanishguy1970 said:

on amazon they come with a brush so you can clean them ( made of stainless steel ). 

To clean a brush, you essentially need to boil it or use very harsh chemicals on it. This is why dishwashers are important; they can hit high temperatures to kill bacteria. I don’t see how you could realistically wash the brush, and thus, the straw, on a cruise...

I’ll just stick to bringing my own plastic straws while we’re still allowed to. 

1 hour ago, slugg said:

To clean a brush, you essentially need to boil it or use very harsh chemicals on it. This is why dishwashers are important; they can hit high temperatures to kill bacteria. I don’t see how you could realistically wash the brush, and thus, the straw, on a cruise...

I’ll just stick to bringing my own plastic straws while we’re still allowed to. 

totally understand.  i for one drink directly from the glass if need be. I am more concerned with the times i have seen people not wash their hands after they come out of the bathroom therefore putting us all at risk for norovirus...I am all for  keeping our  environment safe but am more into keeping  other cruisers from getting sick...:-)😁

On 4/5/2019 at 9:22 PM, OceanBlueWaters said:

SeaShark nailed it!   

I will continue to bring my own STRAWS and risk swimming in them, once I park myself on the Beach.  LOL!

I want a STRAW with my drink.  Period.  I am on vacation.  Period.  I will dispose of my STRAW in a responsible way.  YAY!

First we had paper bags at Grocery Stores.  Nope. Get rid of them.  Too many sacrificial trees.   Okay...now plastic. Someone smarter than me decided to opt for plastic bags and save the trees.  Yay! 

Now, plastic bags are going away with a potential fee to carry my BLEEPING BLEEP out your store?!  WAIT, WHAT? 

Can someone FIRE the people who are "smarter than me" who make these decisions on my behalf and cost me more $?  Oh wait...that sounds a lot like NCL.  LOL!

Just a BIG FAT GOOD GRIEF...when will it end...

JMO

OceanBlueWaters? Hmmm, are those Ocean Blue Waters the same waters that have "Between 4.8 and 12.7 million tonnes of plastic enter the ocean each year," http://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/quick-questions/how-much-plastic-is-in-the-ocean.html

Or

The plastic patch that is "the one between California and Hawaii is the size of the state of Texas"?

https://www.earthday.org/2018/04/05/fact-sheet-plastics-in-the-ocean/

Or

"Dead Whale Washes Ashore with Shocking 88 lbs. of Plastic in Its Stomach"   https://www.livescience.com/65020-whale-with-88-pounds-plastic.html

So OceanBlueWater may be what you like but, it is beneath the plastic dump.

Plastic is a problem and every bit that is eliminated is a good thing.

Edited by pete_coach
added
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on the Sun right now.  Brought some plastic straws in case I really need them (for frozen strawberry daiquiri only).

I got a soft drink from the Starbucks this afternoon.  I asked for a straw, expecting a paper one.  I got a plastic one!!  I suspect this is because they are "Starbucks", not "NCL"

Necessity is the mother of invention.  As we transition out of single use plastic, the present substitutes are simply the old ones that the plastic originally replaced.  No R&D on substitute environmental items was done, because the plastic was judged the superior item.

Now that years of plastic usage have demonstrated their effect on our environment, it won't be long before American hotshot ingenuity will begin spewing out replacement item for straws, carry out boxes, cup and beverage holders, etc.

As demand for friendlier environmental products grows,  the # of patents for subs will increase and the aware consumer will determine what products eventually succeed.

2 hours ago, Defhermit said:

Starbucks will switch over to non-plastic straws completely by 2020, including cruise ships.

And that's great. It's just a weird mixture of shipwide ban on plastic straws (with paper straws upon request) vs plastic straws galore for your frappuchino. 

4 minutes ago, b0nz0 said:

And that's great. It's just a weird mixture of shipwide ban on plastic straws (with paper straws upon request) vs plastic straws galore for your frappuchino. 

Are you absolutely sure that the straw you saw was plastic? The Starbucks that I go to all switched to green eco-friendly straws that are almost indistinguishable from plastic.