Favorite hotel in FLL?

Hello all!

This fall we will have a large family traveling to FLL to cruise out on Carnival. We will be getting into FLL airport late (8pm) and would like to find an airport that is a) not too far from the airport so we still have some awake time there b) a pool for the kids to burn off some steam at before bed and c) onsite restaurant etc for a late dinner since our connecting flight into FLL will not likely give us time for dinner. We're ok with $2-250 per night if it has the right amenities. 

Thanks!

Hyatt Place 17th street location is a decent hotel with a pool and free breakfast.  It''s close to PE and very close to Harbor shops for last minute water/wine purchases.  Valuetrips has them price for under $150 per night up to Sept and a bit more from Oct to Dec.  If you use them be sure and be diligent in getting confirmations from the hotel. 

• Haha 1

Can you tell me which hotels along 17th street near Port Everglades would be in walking distance or very short Uber ride to a grocery store and possibly a drugstore?

We are a family of 10 travelling with kids and one 15 month old. So as not to overload our luggage during our flight, we really need to have access to a supermarket before our cruise. We don't land in FLL until 7:00pm the night before our cruise and we would like to hit the supermarket that night so we have the next morning to get our supplies packed before the cruise. We will need at least 3 rooms so I don't want to break the bank either.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I just want to get the hotel booked so I can sleep at night. LOL.

Thankyou,

Nancy

The Hyatt place and Embassy suites are right near Publix, grocery store.  Very quick walk from either hotel.   

Both hotels have big rooms that can hold up to 6 people.  

Hyatt charges $2 per room from FLL to hotel.  Not sure of ES charge.

Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort.  Great hotel, every room has either a kitchenette or a full kitchen.  The bathrooms are enormous with a tub and separate shower.  Hotel restaurants are awesome  or you can walk to about 15 others. There is also shopping and groceries in walking distance. Best part, the beach is right across the street and it’s the view off your balcony  Service, and staff are super.  We have stayed at about 8 different hotels in FLL and this one is still our favorite. I have a room in September and the rate was $240.  It might be a bit more expensive then some others but it’s totally worth it.  This is our vacation before our vacation. Happy planning....😊

Edited by Esmerelda
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Esmerelda said:

Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort.  Great hotel, every room has either a kitchenette or a full kitchen.  The bathrooms are enormous with a tub and separate shower.  Hotel restaurants are awesome  or you can walk to about 15 others. There is also shopping and groceries in walking distance. Best part, the beach is right across the street and it’s the view off your balcony  Service, and staff are super.  We have stayed at about 8 different hotels in FLL and this one is still our favorite. I have a room in September and the rate was $240.  It might be a bit more expensive then some others but it’s totally worth it.  This is our vacation before our vacation. Happy planning....😊

Walking distance to grocery store?  Is this on the beach side of the Bridge?

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 8:26 PM, cheeseclan said:

The Hyatt place and Embassy suites are right near Publix, grocery store.  Very quick walk from either hotel.   

Both hotels have big rooms that can hold up to 6 people.  

Hyatt charges $2 per room from FLL to hotel.  Not sure of ES charge.

Thank you for the info. The Hyatt charges $2 per room or per person? Do you know if they have a shuttle to the Port?

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 5:49 PM, Paulinda said:

Hyatt Place 17th street location is a decent hotel with a pool and free breakfast.  It''s close to PE and very close to Harbor shops for last minute water/wine purchases.  Valuetrips has them price for under $150 per night up to Sept and a bit more from Oct to Dec.  If you use them be sure and be diligent in getting confirmations from the hotel. 

Have you had any problems booking through Valuetrips? I have never heard of them before.

Thanks in advance.

It is $2 per room.  Yes they have a shuttle to port and I think it is about $8 per person but not sure of exact amount.  We took Uber over to port which was about $10 total with tip.

We only book directly with Hyatt.  If you do that and are a member, easy to do, they will include breakfast and WiFi.  

10 hours ago, NRichard10 said:

Have you had any problems booking through Valuetrips? I have never heard of them before.

Thanks in advance.

I have not used Valuetrips but there have been some discussions about using third party vendors vs direct bookings with the hotel.   I did use booking dot com this past March for HP and originally booked with them several months prior to our leaving.  After reading some of those threads I first called booking dot com and got their reservation # and then HP and confirmed.  They had an issue finding the reservation at first but then resolved it.  I prepaid the room about 6 weeks prior to us arriving.

The reason I did so was that in some of the above mentioned threads it was said that sometimes HP plays 'dumb' and once you get there they say that they can't find your reservations but they have a room available at a second sight some distance away.

There was one poster in those threads who seemed to be working at a Hotel that knew quite a bit about the booking process.   I wouldn't hesitate to use a third party....just follow up with all the confirmations numbers and the hotel.  You could save a few bucks.

12 hours ago, NRichard10 said:

Thank you for the info. The Hyatt charges $2 per room or per person? Do you know if they have a shuttle to the Port?

I just stayed here with my group in March, its $2 per room for the airport to hotel shuttle and then a private shuttle company that the hotel hires for hotel to port was $7 per person.  If you have 9 or 10 rooms you are booking, call the hotel, you may be eligible for a group booking rate, we were and it worked out great.  Make sure you chose the Hyatt Convention on 17th Street, as there are more than one Hyatt hotel in the area of Ft. Lauderdale......

Duffy's is a great pub within walking distance from the hotel for a bite to eat along with Total Wine and Publix for any last minute cruise items..............enjoy your cruise.

Edited by doone

On 4/9/2019 at 1:56 PM, jagoffee said:

Walking distance to grocery store?  Is this on the beach side of the Bridge?

There is a CVS south of the hotel in Beach Place area (small shopping type mall). It’s about a 10 minute walk. Then there is also a Publix north of the hotel. Maybe a 15 minute walk at the most?  We walk everywhere from this hotel and it’s never very far.  We are nearly 60 year olds and my husband has MS.  We love to walk in this area.  Of course, we walk across the street for the beach also. 😀

6 hours ago, Esmerelda said:

There is a CVS south of the hotel in Beach Place area (small shopping type mall). It’s about a 10 minute walk. Then there is also a Publix north of the hotel. Maybe a 15 minute walk at the most?  We walk everywhere from this hotel and it’s never very far.  We are nearly 60 year olds and my husband has MS.  We love to walk in this area.  Of course, we walk across the street for the beach also. 😀

Good for you.  Thanks.  

I have never stayed on the beach.  I stayed at the Hilton Marina, Renaissance, and Pier 66 (closing) in previous years.  The Hilton was my favorite due to the views of the cruise port and the outside bar/restaurant.  I enjoy watching the ship’s departing and arriving.

On 4/9/2019 at 9:00 PM, NRichard10 said:

Never take a shuttle to the port. In this area they usually charge $10 -$15/person.  You can usually do a taxi or Uber for about $15 and you can leave when you are ready and you won't stop at any other ships

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 3:14 PM, nhraformula00 said:

http://www.valuetrips.com/

We have never had a problem booking 4-5 times with them, and love the hotel and its location.

How long does it take for Valuetrips to respond? I submitted their request form to them a few days ago, but I have received no confirmation or response of any kind.

What should I expect?

4 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Never take a shuttle to the port. In this area they usually charge $10 -$15/person.  You can usually do a taxi or Uber for about $15 and you can leave when you are ready and you won't stop at any other ships

We are a party of 10 family members and luggage. I don't think an Uber or taxi will be feasible unless I can somehow be guaranteed a van pickup?

24 minutes ago, NRichard10 said:

We are a party of 10 family members and luggage. I don't think an Uber or taxi will be feasible unless I can somehow be guaranteed a van pickup?

I would still do the math.  Is that 3 or 4 cabs or Ubers?   Request a van or Uber XL.  Still much less than $100 -$150.

Edited by ipeeinthepool

Nrichard, in the last year valuetrips has been very slow to respond around 7-10 days. You can check with the hotel itself in a few days to see if you have a reservation as of yet. We have never been denied using valuetrips and have stayed there many times in the last few years pre and post cruise. It is well worth the short wait for this hotel. We have been to many hotels along the 17th street area in the last 10 years and Hyatt Place is at the top of our list for a one night stay. They will email you your conformation but it could take some time. 

38 minutes ago, nhraformula00 said:

Nrichard, in the last year valuetrips has been very slow to respond around 7-10 days. You can check with the hotel itself in a few days to see if you have a reservation as of yet. We have never been denied using valuetrips and have stayed there many times in the last few years pre and post cruise. It is well worth the short wait for this hotel. We have been to many hotels along the 17th street area in the last 10 years and Hyatt Place is at the top of our list for a one night stay. They will email you your conformation but it could take some time. 

Is the Super Bowl week considered a blackout weekend  due to a special event?