Ocean Medallion Question Thread - Part 1

Host CJSKIDS

9 hours ago, Ceramicpro said:

I haven’t read all of the threads on here, please forgive me if this is a repeat question.  Can I get my medallion at embarkation?  My husband and I want to be “electronic free” and leave the tablets and phones at home.  

The answer is yes, however, you can still have it delivered to your home. Even though you ordered the medallion online you can still leave your phones and tablets at home. The medallion you receive is the same as the one you would get at the pier.

• Like 1

Those of you on this thread who have downloaded the ocean medallion app to you iphone or ipad;  this app is being tweaked as we speak and will continue to add more options for you.  Once the app is fully functional; you should have access to all the other ocean apps plus you should be able to link all your existing reservations in the app.  Some of you probably have already done this.

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

Those of you on this thread who have downloaded the ocean medallion app to you iphone or ipad;  this app is being tweaked as we speak and will continue to add more options for you.  Once the app is fully functional; you should have access to all the other ocean apps plus you should be able to link all your existing reservations in the app.  Some of you probably have already done this.

The app on my iPad went into a "do loop." when I tried to complete registration following the segment where Princess offers options to hold medallions.  I didn't purchase anything therefore my "basket" was empty.  The website really didn't like that...and the app is still stuck.

Will experience the medallion in September on Regal.  Not looking forward to it.  I enjoy my privacy and the first crew who comes out of a shop, addresses me by name and tries to sell something, will get a good military dressing down.  Its a crass invasion of privacy, just like fast food places asking for your name so they "can serve you better."  Malarky!  I don't need to make life-long friends with shop clerks or the waiter who brings a six-pack of soda to my cabin.  They have a  job - I am the customer.  I'm sure they feel the same way.

Edited by Ride-The-Waves

Ride-The-Waves,  if you feel that strong about you invasion of privacy; why not opt for a cruise card only and skip the medallion.  You have not given it a chance; which is shame; since I think it is very useful.  I like being able to go into a gift shop(and no one mentioned me by name) and flashing the medallion on the reader. I used it at the pool bar and same thing (my name was not mentioned).  If you want to talk about invasion of privacy;  do you know when You call an airline; if your phone number is on your profile the agent will address you by your name?  In the 21st century we live in a world that opens up so many new tech windows; and it makes our life easier.  The medallion if you choose to use it; makes the cruise fun.  In your case, give it a try; if you don't like it; just visit guest relations and request a card.  Have a great cruise

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Ride-The-Waves,  if you feel that strong about you invasion of privacy; why not opt for a cruise card only and skip the medallion.  You have not given it a chance; which is shame; since I think it is very useful.  I like being able to go into a gift shop(and no one mentioned me by name) and flashing the medallion on the reader. I used it at the pool bar and same thing (my name was not mentioned).  If you want to talk about invasion of privacy;  do you know when You call an airline; if your phone number is on your profile the agent will address you by your name?  In the 21st century we live in a world that opens up so many new tech windows; and it makes our life easier.  The medallion if you choose to use it; makes the cruise fun.  In your case, give it a try; if you don't like it; just visit guest relations and request a card.  Have a great cruise

I've seen a number of posts saying the same thing "...ask for an old-style cruise card". and yet I also recollect (perhaps erroneously) reading posts here on CC saying that some folks who did just that were politely told "get stuffed, we only give Medallions now". I'm one of the ones who have no real use for any of the functionalities of a Medallion and prefer the thinner form factor of the plastic card.

For those with recent experience (our only Medallion trip to date was last May), are Princess giving out cruise cards at Embarkation upon request?

There are a group of 10 of us going on the Royal in October.   We are all senior citizens and some do not have smart phones etc.   Are we able to just print out our boarding pass and they will have the medallion waiting for us when we get to the port or does everyone have to go to ocean.com and fill in all the information?    We all have our personalizer filled out, is that all we need to do?   Thank you for your help.

35 minutes ago, mrsihopes said:

There are a group of 10 of us going on the Royal in October.   We are all senior citizens and some do not have smart phones etc.   Are we able to just print out our boarding pass and they will have the medallion waiting for us when we get to the port or does everyone have to go to ocean.com and fill in all the information?    We all have our personalizer filled out, is that all we need to do?   Thank you for your help.

print out your boarding pass and they will have the medallion waiting for you when we get to the port

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Will experience the medallion in September on Regal.  Not looking forward to it.  I enjoy my privacy and the first crew who comes out of a shop, addresses me by name and tries to sell something, will get a good military dressing down.  Its a crass invasion of privacy, just like fast food places asking for your name so they "can serve you better."  Malarky!  I don't need to make life-long friends with shop clerks or the waiter who brings a six-pack of soda to my cabin.  They have a  job - I am the customer.  I'm sure they feel the same way.

I would suggest you direct your rage where it belongs, to Princess and Carnival senior management, and not bully the poor underpaid and overworked Princess waiter or sales clerk who are just trying to do their job.

Have a great cruise.

• Like 3

So, I've been following this thread for a while and been a bit concerned about the difficulties with the suite of Ocean apps.  I've also heard several say that they should just be consolidated into a single app to handle all functions.  Well, it appears that this may have happened!!!

I just read this article: https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/oceanmedallion-cruising-gets-simpler-with-all-in-one-app/.  It appears that there is a SINGLE "Medallion Class" app now available in the Apple App Store.  I downloaded it and it seems nice, though I have not used it yet.  We are sailing on the back-to-back Christmas & New Years' cruise on the new SkyPrincess--so I have some more time before I need to use it.  Hoping that any kinks are worked out before that time.  Will be interested to see how the news of this app develops and what happens.    The Princess website on Medallion Cruising still shows the suite of apps and not think single app!

36 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

I would suggest you direct your rage where it belongs, to Princess and Carnival senior management, and not bully the poor underpaid and overworked Princess waiter or sales clerk who are just trying to do their job.

Have a great cruise.

Thanks.  I was being facetious.  Always respectful and appreciative of the crew, especially the overworked room stewards.  We generously provide them with gratuities well over and above the required amounts.  Throughout my military career have lived in and visited many of the countries where these people call home.  They work hard for little compensation and usually are supporting family back home.  Befriend them and find out more about their lives supporting our lives of privilege.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Thanks.  I was being facetious.  Always respectful and appreciative of the crew, especially the overworked room stewards.  We generously provide them with gratuities well over and above the required amounts.  Throughout my military career have lived in and visited many of the countries where these people call home.  They work hard for little compensation and usually are supporting family back home.  Befriend them and find out more about their lives supporting our lives of privilege.

I figured you were kidding, but abuse of these hard working folks is a sore spot for me so I over reacted. These folks are generally fantastic, and when I see see how they are sometimes treated by self-entitled primadonna passengers, it makes me quite angry. Anyway, I'm off topic.  Enjoy your trip on the Regal, she's our favorite ship. Just gorgeous, you'll love her.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WNY Cruiser said:

So, I've been following this thread for a while and been a bit concerned about the difficulties with the suite of Ocean apps.  I've also heard several say that they should just be consolidated into a single app to handle all functions.  Well, it appears that this may have happened!!!

I just read this article: https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/oceanmedallion-cruising-gets-simpler-with-all-in-one-app/.  It appears that there is a SINGLE "Medallion Class" app now available in the Apple App Store.  I downloaded it and it seems nice, though I have not used it yet.  We are sailing on the back-to-back Christmas & New Years' cruise on the new SkyPrincess--so I have some more time before I need to use it.  Hoping that any kinks are worked out before that time.  Will be interested to see how the news of this app develops and what happens.    The Princess website on Medallion Cruising still shows the suite of apps and not think single app!

There is a new CC thread with info about the single app. You can delete all the previous ones.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2686541-exciting-ocean-medallion-app-news/

14 minutes ago, OzPilot said:

There is a new CC thread with info about the single app. You can delete all the previous ones.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2686541-exciting-ocean-medallion-app-news/

13 minutes ago, olegna said:

If you have an Android phone, the single app will not be ready for another week or so.

True dat. The other thread has a wealth of information, plus there is access to a highly informative video produced by one of the posters. And one of the posters is a Princess staffer who is providing up-to-the-minute information.

Edited by OzPilot

43 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

I figured you were kidding, but abuse of these hard working folks is a sore spot for me so I over reacted. These folks are generally fantastic, and when I see see how they are sometimes treated by self-entitled primadonna passengers, it makes me quite angry. Anyway, I'm off topic.  Enjoy your trip on the Regal, she's our favorite ship. Just gorgeous, you'll love her.

Thanks.  Second time on Regal.  Have cruised on Royal and Majestic (Australia and NZ).  Booked on Enchanted next Fall.

Edited by Ride-The-Waves

2 hours ago, OzPilot said:

True dat. The other thread has a wealth of information, plus there is access to a highly informative video produced by one of the posters. And one of the posters is a Princess staffer who is providing up-to-the-minute information.

Thanks for sharing. Good to know

• Like 1

We're sailing on our next cruise in January....it is on Sky Princess, our first Medallion trip.  I received my medallion this week.  My husband hasn't received anything. I was surprised I received it this far in advance......I thought it was a month or so at most.  Are they sending them out earlier now?  I haven't even made final payment yet.  Hopefully, I won't lose it before we sail.