Ocean Medallion Question Thread - Part 1

Host CJSKIDS

11 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

What do you do with your Medallion when you go ashore?  Used to find it easy to carry the cruise card in a pocket with ID and credit card in a very light weight plastic folder.  Don't want it to be showing on my person when walking around - yes I know the locals can tell you are a cruiser.  Just have a personal preference.

Ocean Medallion 

I keep it in my pocket all the time. I only take it out if I have to. My old Medallions my wife is saving them to put on the  refrigerator someday 😁😁

60821D5A-327B-4631-BF06-0B9DF6FEA346.jpeg

2 hours ago, OzPilot said:

Deb - Thank you kindly for the feedback. I’ll also be interested to hear about MedallionNet up north. Cheers. Bill 

Wish I had better news about MedallionNet. I already reported on it when I was on the ship in May. (I had written about it on the blog.) Basically, it downright sucked and I don’t expect it to be much better this time. I'm turning in my Elite minutes to get the unlimited package, though. It’s the only possible way to be able to keep up with the blog, clients, and (attempt) to upload videos. 

But it when we were on the Caribbean Princess in the Caribbean for a month? AMAZING!

Okay, other than being able to say that you are wearing the latest technology or maybe getting your drink thirty seconds sooner, am I the only one who doesn’t see the benefit of the ocean medallion ?  Why should I pay extra for this?

Have you all watched the Princess Video explaining why medallion net does not work well; or the signal is bad in Alaska.  The video explains why the signal is great in the Caribbean and not so great in Alaska and the Northern hemisphere

I just received my medallion for my Alaska cruise.  I want to customize the little paper part.  Princess lets you purchase some that say "birthday" or "anniversary."  I have seen where others have customized with where they are going.  Is there a template for me to be able to customize this?  I've been Googling for a while and haven't found anything.  I know I could take it out and trace it on paper, but a template would help me align things better.

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

Have you all watched the Princess Video explaining why medallion net does not work well; or the signal is bad in Alaska.  The video explains why the signal is great in the Caribbean and not so great in Alaska and the Northern hemisphere

Currently one day west of Nuuk Greenland. Tv erratic. Slow email. Streaming NOT working. Difficulty loading images. 

59 minutes ago, olegna said:

Currently one day west of Nuuk Greenland. Tv erratic. Slow email. Streaming NOT working. Difficulty loading images. 

Your wifi issues are addressed in the video.  Your signal is blocked by the area of the country you are in.  

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, rollingjay said:

Unfortunately we have a while it’s showing 112 days. 

I guess today's my lucky day then. Although I don’t know where they get 39 minutes. That’d make it 8am local time here in Alaska and I’m pretty sure they won’t be letting me on the ship then.

2956A91F-86B8-431A-BDA6-CC8BF19F5024.jpeg

7 hours ago, tip said:

Okay, other than being able to say that you are wearing the latest technology or maybe getting your drink thirty seconds sooner, am I the only one who doesn’t see the benefit of the ocean medallion ?  Why should I pay extra for this?

You do not pay extra. Where did you get that idea?

20 hours ago, lx200gps said:

FWIW, it measures about 77.4mm by 54.5mm and is about 8.5mm thick. I found it to be too thick to comfortably fit in a wallet in my back pocket, as I was always worried that the hard plastic case could be cracked if I sat on it. I always kept it in a pocket. I would prefer the thinner old-style cruise card, but the Medallion in its case, no lanyard, was OK.

I guess just OK will have to be OK.  Probably will be a bit bulkier in a front pocket than the old card, credit card and ID....

4 hours ago, idahospud said:

I guess today's my lucky day then. Although I don’t know where they get 39 minutes. That’d make it 8am local time here in Alaska and I’m pretty sure they won’t be letting me on the ship then.

2956A91F-86B8-431A-BDA6-CC8BF19F5024.jpeg

We will be on the Southbound sailing that starts on the 7th.

I'm Ocean Ready but a Canadian resident so need to pick up my OM at the port in Vancouver. Can anyone who's been in that situation explain what embarkation will be like? Will being Ocean Ready make any difference if I don't already have the medallion?

3 hours ago, dides said:

The android version of the MedallionClass app is now available to install from the Google Play store - all looks good!

Thank you - I had been waiting.

My question:  I scanned in my Passport and it gave me the "green light" to take the pic....

Would the app tell me if it's not readable or not good enough? 

I can see it okay - but, It's not real clear or doesn't seem big enough

11 hours ago, FoghornLeghorn said:

Thank you - I had been waiting.

My question:  I scanned in my Passport and it gave me the "green light" to take the pic....

Would the app tell me if it's not readable or not good enough? 

I can see it okay - but, It's not real clear or doesn't seem big enough

If you will notice, it reads the information at the bottom (the part they scan in their computer) and not actually the photo, etc.  When I did mine, it highlighted that information.  They have your picture in their database and it pulls up with your information.  The photo you are uploading is for their security when you get on and off the ship. 

1 hour ago, caitlyn20 said:

If you will notice, it reads the information at the bottom (the part they scan in their computer) and not actually the photo, etc.  When I did mine, it highlighted that information.  They have your picture in their database and it pulls up with your information.  The photo you are uploading is for their security when you get on and off the ship. 

Thank you!

1 hour ago, POF1234 said:

Another related question, 

I purchased the internet package - do they issue you a password ? How does it actually work ?  

Currently rates are $10 per day or $7.50 per day if you are elite and trade in your free minutes. 

24-Hour Internet Cafe and Internet Access

Guests are welcome to use the internet terminals in our 24-hour Internet Café to access our free OceanConcierge application and purchase satellite internet plans to access web-based email accounts, news, and more. Plans can be used in the café or on your own wireless-enabled device by using the ship’s Wi-Fi network from the comfort of your stateroom and all guest accessible public areas.

To access satellite internet, first log in to OceanConcierge. You will need to enter credentials and create your own login name and password. Afterwards, select Internet and you will be redirected to the Plan Selection page where you can choose between daily or voyage length plans.

With these plans, you do not need to logout when you finish your session. Please be aware that we will log you out after 24 hours in order to conserve the network in consideration of other guests. For basic questions about logging in, please speak to anyone from the Passenger Services Desk or the Digital Communications Manager. The manager's hours are posted at the desk, in OceanConcierge, and in the Princess Patter

Printing is available for the internet terminals located in the café.