Beyond Princess Cay - Beautiful Lighthouse Beach

fishin' musician

The last 4--5 times we have been to Princess Cays we haven't gotten off the ship.  I don't care for the crowded beaches either.  My wife though has said  this summer she wants to take a float and get off the ship and float in the ocean.  I don't care for sitting on  the beach alone in particular, so I might try this.  Can you give more detailed directions on your path?

Awesome pictures. 

Head east, out of the Princess compound,  thru the straw market (don't forget to support the local economy when you return.  George's libations are worth the trip alone, but only if you are headed back to Princessland.)  The roads to the southern tip are clearly marked on the attached Google map and pointed out by my scribbles.  Don't forget to take water.

20190421_210301.jpg

Edited by fishin' musician

9 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

You have some fabulous pictures and great memories - and you win the Intrepid Explorer of the Month award!  That was quite a hike!

Well thank you. 

I look back on it and think what would have happened had I turned an ankle, or worse.  The ship would have likely dispatched a search crew and most likely would have recovered me. It begs the question, has anyone been left abandoned on a "private" island?  I can only imagine the cost and logistics involved in getting me to St Thomas in 2 days.

When we have done that hike, we always leave a note with the medical staff (just as you get off the tender) with our names and cabin number and where we are going, not that we expected them to come looking for us, but just to know that we had every intention of being back in plenty of time and if we weren’t, at least the port agent would know where to start looking. I have turned an ankle before (not hard to do, especially on that long north-south road) and had no choice but to keep going. Luckily, I packed an Ace wrap in my backpack and was able to. 

9 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

When we have done that hike, we always leave a note with the medical staff (just as you get off the tender) with our names and cabin number and where we are going, not that we expected them to come looking for us, but just to know that we had every intention of being back in plenty of time and if we weren’t, at least the port agent would know where to start looking. I have turned an ankle before (not hard to do, especially on that long north-south road) and had no choice but to keep going. Luckily, I packed an Ace wrap in my backpack and was able to. 

Good idea, especially on that island where they don't expect people to wander off to far.

13 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

FWIW, my wife knew where I was headed (she prefers beaches with all the creature comforts).  My guess is that there would be a very intensive search before they would leave someone there.  It would be very bad press if it were to get out that someone was left/abandoned on their "private" island.  How long would they search?  Again, has anyone heard of someone being left behind/abandoned at any of the cruise line "private" islands?

13 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

We're doing the dune buggy thing and the wife wants to know about bugs.  See a lot of skeeters?

We've been to Lighthouse Beach twice.  Once on the dune buggies and the second time with Eleuthera tours.  Both times were in November.  On the first visit we didn't get a single bite.  On the second visit I was attacked by what I think were sand flies.  My legs especially were absolutely covered in bites (hundreds of them).  I was miserable for well over a week both due to the pain, itching and also a fever that broke as a result of having so many bites.  It took many more weeks for the bites to heal enough to not be bothersome.  My husband who was next to me the entire time may have had a bite or two but he definitely wasn't bothered by them.  So though we've not encountered mosquitos there can definitely be biting bugs and lots of them.  I'm sure it depends on the time of year, the amount of rain they have or have not had, etc.  

• Like 1