Icon of the Seas Blocks Are In The House!

45 minutes ago, topanga49er said:

There was no "dedicated" area in suite lounge on Wonder, except for the small area as youo walk in  A simple coffee, fruit and bagel bar.  I am sure they will have something similar on Icon.  They haven't even sailed yet.  Does anyone remember the Sprinkler system explosion on Wonder's inaugural sail?  Everyone swore that the carpets would be mildewed and ruined, and that it all looked awful.  Hey, everyone on this thread is passionate about cruising or we wouldn't be viewing it so much.  But cmon folks.  Give it a chance and give some of the negative comments a rest.

Wonder of the Seas has a dedicated area that is built for handling hors d'oeuvres, continental breakfast, speciality coffee etc. you can see it in a number of YouTube videos. It seems on Icon (much like the lounge area), it's an afterthought, setup on a couple folding tables in front of what looks to be a service bar.  It's really like they were over budget and cut a number of corners in CK and the Sun Decks, or just didn't plan well? IDK.

Icon

icon.png

Wonder of the Seas

wonder.png

Edited by cr2000

20 minutes ago, cr2000 said:

Wonder of the Seas has a dedicated area that is built for handling hors d'oeuvres, continental breakfast, speciality coffee etc. you can see it in a number of YouTube videos. It seems on Icon (much like the lounge area), it's an afterthought, setup on a couple folding tables in front of what looks to be a service bar.  It's really like they were over budget and cut a number of corners in CK and the Sun Decks, or just didn't plan well? IDK.

Icon

icon.png

Wonder of the Seas

wonder.png

Was that an area you visited often on Wonder?  What type suite did you enjoy on Wonder8?  Was it nicer than other suite areas you enjoyed on other cruises?

What is the dining option on the suite deck like on the Wonder?  

Is The Grove a lot nicer on Wonder?

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, cr2000 said:

Suite deck space is a very good size, however, you figure 179 suites at 3 people (avg) per suite is 537 guests using that space. My quick count from that video shows perhaps seating for 120 people (heck the bar has a mere 6 seats!) and the "pool", as I expected, is large jacuzzi at best, maybe good for 10 people? I don't think suite guests are going to like having to get up early to save a chair, might as well head down to the lower decks and fight for chairs with the rest of us. Lol. I also think it looks cheap (like it was furnished from the Target or Ikea catalog). I suspect suite prices will correct down as negative customer reviews roll in.

It does not need to accommodate "537" at the same time. Wonder can barely accommodate 50, and I have never seen an issue there. Not all the suites use the areas at the same time.

Yes, CK/SL is nice on Wonder, but personally, I think this looks far better.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

@topanga49er

Thanks for posting the videos..  I have never cruised Wonder so I can not compare.  I have done suites on Symphony and Harmony and I have to say the Icon Suite areas looks sooo much larger and nicer!  I know people in Suites don't spend a lot of time in just the Suite area but it looks like they will love it when they do.

I agree. Very excited.  Long wait.

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

This slides vid is awesome.  At the 2:00 mark it shows the steps up to the top which are more steps than stairs so I may be capable to go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um3ssjj_7Ok

It must be 30 years since I got on a slide. Really want to go (just want to lose some weight so I don’t embarrass myself trying to get off the mat at the bottom). 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

I want to add to the conversation about the suite space on Icon.  It looks fantastic to me and I can't wait to see it this March.  I will say this...the suite areas are the most bare and least used places on the cruise ship IMO.  We did Wonder in a Crown Loft and loved going to the suite deck which was right down the hall from our suite...but 90% of the time we were lucky if there was 5 other people there.  Same for Costal Kitchen...very quite each night and also during happy hour at the bar.  We had the same experience on Symphony and Harmony with their respective suite area.  

I really don't think that Royal is all that concerned with going crazy developing the suite deck or Costal Kitchen when it is really not that utilized by suite guests in general.  And I would say that some nights, you see more Pinnacle Club members than suite guests  at the Costal Kitchen and Bar.  At the end of the day, as a Suite Guest, we have never been like "man I wish there was more to the suite areas!" Most of the time we are like "the people in the suite area are the bomb!! They take care of everything!"

Just my opinion..

• Like 7

22 hours ago, Sail2k said:

We did Wonder in a Crown Loft and loved going to the suite deck which was right down the hall from our suite...but 90% of the time we were lucky if there was 5 other people there.  Same for Costal Kitchen...very quite each night and also during happy hour at the bar.  We had the same experience on Symphony and Harmony with their respective suite area.  

At the end of the day, as a Suite Guest, we have never been like "man I wish there was more to the suite areas!" Most of the time we are like "the people in the suite area are the bomb!! They take care of everything!"

In the times I've been Sky on Oasis class ships, the lounge area/suite bar has always been absolutely packed. I've not yet done Wonder so I can't say about the suite area, but on Allure/Harmony the 'suite deck' was barely used because it was lacking any reason to - there's just nothing there except probably a bored bartender. It's less about 'wow, I wish there were more suite areas' and more so a 'wow, I wish they'd actually do something of substance with their suite areas'. New footage from Icon is looking nice, but it's still no where near The Retreat or The Haven. 

I just got back from a room in the Haven courtyard on the Joy and it absolutely blew my mind over any of my suite experiences on RCCL, and I paid less for that room than they're charging for Icon balcony rooms. 

1 hour ago, Newcruiser215 said:

Matt has great coverage! Looks fantastic in the video, BUT you've only got a couple thousand VIPs on board. I wonder if it will look as enjoyable with 7000+ members of the general public on board. Lol.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JemzRoo said:

In the times I've been Sky on Oasis class ships, the lounge area/suite bar has always been absolutely packed. I've not yet done Wonder so I can't say about the suite area, but on Allure/Harmony the 'suite deck' was barely used because it was lacking any reason to - there's just nothing there except probably a bored bartender. It's less about 'wow, I wish there were more suite areas' and more so a 'wow, I wish they'd actually do something of substance with their suite areas'. New footage from Icon is looking nice, but it's still no where near The Retreat or The Haven. 

I just got back from a room in the Haven courtyard on the Joy and it absolutely blew my mind over any of my suite experiences on RCCL, and I paid less for that room than they're charging for Icon balcony rooms. 

I think you nailed it. The Haven experience is exceptional, particularly how it's isolated from the rest of the ship. Near as I can tell based on videos here, the suite areas and blocks of suite rooms, both forward and aft, are wide open to the general public. Wonder has more of a Haven like experience, but still not NCL level.

38 minutes ago, cr2000 said:

Matt has great coverage! Looks fantastic in the video, BUT you've only got a couple thousand VIPs on board. I wonder if it will look as enjoyable with 7000+ members of the general public on board. Lol.

I'm also eager to see what the experience will be like once they start cruising near capacity. 

2 hours ago, Newcruiser215 said:

I'm also eager to see what the experience will be like once they start cruising near capacity. 

Curious how often Wonder of the seas sails at full capacity.  It's not hard to sell out cabins at two people, I would think its not as easy to fill the 500-1000 3/4/5+ cabins to capacity.  As oppose to a voyage class that only has to fill 200 cabins with 3/4 guests.

20 minutes ago, SUgwoz said:

Curious how often Wonder of the seas sails at full capacity. 

Probably never. Well over 100% sure or even 110%, but filling every berth would very tough - out of 6000+ customers, someone is bound to miss the sailing.

• Like 1

Dear Debra,

(with Icon reservation starting with 3 and ending with a 5.)

I'm not Debra and I'm not sailing on Icon on Jan. 27.  

Royal just sent me an email that was meant for you.

image.thumb.jpeg.5e814501288cede5169b75b469890225.jpeg

Good to see some things never change, I guess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

7 hours ago, JemzRoo said:

I think that the Haven experience is much better than that of what Royal offers but once outside of the Haven, it was a complete zoo. We cruised on the Bliss and enjoyed everything the Haven had to offer but again once we left that area the rest of the ship felt tight and busy.

The Icon doesn’t interest us at all. We enjoyed the Oasis class when the Oasis and Allure first entered service. Last year on the SYM cured that. Our tastes have changed over the years. We now prefer the size of the Voyager and Solstice class. I think the Icon will be great for cruisers who are looking for a more active cruise but that’s no longer us. 🙂

• Like 1