Icon of the Seas Blocks Are In The House!

1 hour ago, topanga49er said:

We just got off Wonder in the spring, and while the Suite area was nice, the "pool" was very small and tucked away in one corner.  Looks bigger in pictures.  Why don't we give them the time to see if it looks better by sailaway?  None of the greenery seen in the comps was in yet in Matt's video.  They are probably doing that now and I bet it will look awesome!  

Good point on greenery, that may help the suite space look a bit less sterile. Not sure how they fix the pool, all pictures I've seen suggests it's not much larger than a jacuzzi. The pictures coming out on Coastal Kitchen aren't good, comments on FB seem to affirm it, the entire space is closed in with zero ocean views, "lounge area" looks like something from a Hampton Inn hotel lobby.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Newcruiser215 said:

Unfortunately, with all of that hype that surrounded this ship, I just knew people couldn’t wait to pounce and find every little thing wrong with it. But like you said, all of these opinions without actually experiencing it. 

Well I agree 100% with you there, they overhyped the ship and now that needs to be reconciled with reality. I'm sure it's better in many way than Wonder, but early pics/vids suggest a lot of poor decisions/tradeoffs were also made. We'll just have to wait for real reviews, right now it's all employees on the ship.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, topanga49er said:

Question for the ship builders and designers on this thread...  Was there a reason that the aft Icon balconies get progressively smaller with the lower decks? (opposite of O class)  I would think it would make the balconies below deck 15 dark.  Some love balconies in shade, but I love me some sun on them and it tends to brighten the room.

There were greater minds that created Icon, so just wondering thought process behind it if you can share.

thx

I am going to relate it to residential condo towers.  As you go higher, generally it gets more expensive.  The penthouse units are the most expensive.  Since they're more expensive, they should also have greater balcony square footage.

Edited by soremekun
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, cr2000 said:

It'll be interesting when we start getting some real reviews from paying passengers that have travelled on both ships

Yeah, since every critical observation you've made has nothing to back it up and you said you wouldn't even cruise her.  LMAO

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, cr2000 said:

Well I agree 100% with you there, they overhyped the ship and now that needs to be reconciled with reality. I'm sure it's better in many way than Wonder, but early pics/vids suggest a lot of poor decisions/tradeoffs were also made. We'll just have to wait for real reviews, right now it's all employees on the ship.

What may in some peoples minds may be poor decisions and bad tradeoffs may be welcomed by others or are simply irrelevant to them.

With this ship Royal was not trying to impress longtime cruisers, they are after new to cruising and families who have done Disney and theme parks

They know that whatever they built they will not please all of their current cruisers so there is no point in trying. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Myrtle Ave. Mayhem said:

This ship encapsulates everything I hate about the current mass market line cruise ship design. Spending a week at a mall isn't my idea of a cruise vacation. Major pass for me. Thank goodness there is a line & ship for every cruiser. 

100%

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Myrtle Ave. Mayhem said:

Thank goodness there is a line & ship for every cruiser. 

And I won't have to deal with them...I'll be having too much fun on this one. 

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 1/16/2024 at 7:19 PM, cr2000 said:

Good point on greenery, that may help the suite space look a bit less sterile. Not sure how they fix the pool, all pictures I've seen suggests it's not much larger than a jacuzzi. The pictures coming out on Coastal Kitchen aren't good, comments on FB seem to affirm it, the entire space is closed in with zero ocean views, "lounge area" looks like something from a Hampton Inn hotel lobby.

One thing to remember that was not shown in Matt's video:  the Suite Sundeck on Icon is TWO decks high.  Also, not sure about Coastal Kitchen, but know the suite sundeck will have amazing views (Im in a GS on 17 under it and views are killer.  I think we will be pleasantly surprised when revenue sailing begins.  One last thing:  In the videos, did you see all the painter guys in the background while filming?  They are still actively working on her.  

5 minutes ago, topanga49er said:

One thing to remember that was not shown in Matt's video:  the Suite Sundeck on Icon is TWO decks high.  Also, not sure about Coastal Kitchen, but know the suite sundeck will have amazing views (Im in a GS on 17 under it and views are killer.  I think we will be pleasantly surprised when revenue sailing begins.  One last thing:  In the videos, did you see all the painter guys in the background while filming?  They are still actively working on her.  

I'm sure the view on those decks will be great, though I'll never see it. But I did notice people complaining on FB about the lack of ocean views from CK and no dedicated lounge. Not much of a premium experience for suite guests, but 1st world problem I suppose to those that can afford it. 

30 minutes ago, cr2000 said:

I'm sure the view on those decks will be great, though I'll never see it. But I did notice people complaining on FB about the lack of ocean views from CK and no dedicated lounge. Not much of a premium experience for suite guests, but 1st world problem I suppose to those that can afford it. 

There is give an take, personally I would sacrifice a lounge for another eating venue, seems like they basically got a Solarium bistro to go with Coastal Kitchen.

Also surprised how little you hear about people enjoying the fact that the aft of the ship has unobstructed views with a bar, and even a pool. So many point out how much they dislike the Abyss on Oasis class because it blocks the view of the aft.  

Realistically there isn't a ship design that will make all people happy.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, SUgwoz said:

There is give an take, personally I would sacrifice a lounge for another eating venue, seems like they basically got a Solarium bistro to go with Coastal Kitchen.

Also surprised how little you hear about people enjoying the fact that the aft of the ship has unobstructed views with a bar, and even a pool. So many point out how much they dislike the Abyss on Oasis class because it blocks the view of the aft.  

Realistically there isn't a ship design that will make all people happy.

We've got one of those D4 aft facing balconies deck 14.  I'm so surprised that they categorized them as standard OV balconies and not OV with large  balcony.  Not that I'm complaining!!! I'm quite looking forward to that unobstructed aft view

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

We've got one of those D4 aft facing balconies deck 14.  I'm so surprised that they categorized them as standard OV balconies and not OV with large  balcony.  Not that I'm complaining!!! I'm quite looking forward to that unobstructed aft view

I've got the ones on 14 for March of 2025 and I scored and was assigned the large balcony for the Inaugural which I quickly switched to the last aft facing one on 12.   Definitely getting my steps in.

• Like 3

Legend of the Seas I think makes sense as a name for Icon III.

I don't know the history of that name as it relates to RCCL, but I think it's keeping with the theme of Icon, Star, etc.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I've got the ones on 14 for March of 2025 and I scored and was assigned the large balcony for the Inaugural which I quickly switched to the last aft facing one on 12.   Definitely getting my steps in.

What do you think the difference is between the ones on 12 and 14 that they would categorize them differently.  

59 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The only thing I can think of is that its deck 14 and directly under public space.

Already packed my sound machine.🤣. Ken, if time permits during your 3 day, I am interested i  how many US110 outlets there are on the vanity. From the few videos I have seen of the standard OV Balcony cabin, it looked like only one.  They certainly have all the USB ports you can use, but It appears I may need to bring my currency converter and adaptor for all my non-USB electricity needs.

Thanks.   

9 minutes ago, The sea calls my name said:

Already packed my sound machine.🤣. Ken, if time permits during your 3 day, I am interested i  how many US110 outlets there are on the vanity. From the few videos I have seen of the standard OV Balcony cabin, it looked like only one.  They certainly have all the USB ports you can use, but It appears I may need to bring my currency converter and adaptor for all my non-USB electricity needs.

Thanks.   

The picture I saw had 2 USB A and 2 USB C but only one 110v plug.

• Like 1