Icon of the Seas Blocks Are In The House!

2 hours ago, steamboats said:

BTW, here´s my DH´s video about the Icon of the Seas (no need to understand the German talking ;-))

As always, those are great video’s by your DH. Thanks for sharing.
I realize it was a short cruise for you guys, but what are your general impressions of Icon if I may ask? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

As always, those are great video’s by your DH. Thanks for sharing.
I realize it was a short cruise for you guys, but what are your general impressions of Icon if I may ask? 

Thanks, yes it was only 3 nights onboard for us. The whole ship is absolutely amazing! A real evolution of the Oasis Class ships.

Of course there are things which I don't really appreciate - like that you have to walk through Playmakers to leave the ice show. BTW it's really tricky to find the Teens 'n Club. Sort of ... Go to Absolute Zero, pass the door and turn left to the bathroom... No signage at all.

The Royal Promenade is huge and the open feeling of the two decks is really nice. Ww didn't have enough time to check whether the open concept doesn't lead to a mix of all the sounds from the different venues.

As for the Central Park I feel more comfy on the Oasis Class. But maybe that changes when the plants are growing a bit more. On Oasis Class there are nice little areas with benches to sit. On the Icon it's more like "hurry and walk through".

A lot of nice areas in Chill Island but the pool space might get cramped with a full load of passengers. The Hideaway has almost no shade at all.

Thrill Island is nice (o.k., I don't really need it). Crown's Edge is not really worth the money (whatever it is... 19, 49 or 89.99 USD).

I'd love to do a full cruise to get the real feeling. But I'm pretty sure that as well AS on Oasis Class you won't feel cramped even with a full load.

steamboats 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, steamboats said:

That's why I said "the only inside exist" 😉.

Anyway it was pretty quick leaving Absolute Zero after the show.

steamboats 

I don't think it was good design though sticking Playmakers in like it was an afterthought, but we'll be sneaking out through the track.

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

Which is also called the outdoor promenade and you can enter the inside anywhere there are lots of doors to the jogging track/promenade.  I do not plan to exit through Playmakers.  That's what the large double sliding doors in Absolute Zero are for and the signage over them says Exit to Promenade.

While technically it may be called the Promenade most people think of the Promenade as the indoor section of deck 5 and not the running track.

My aft balcony stateroom is interesting. I have to unlock two doors to get into it. Me and one other stateroom has a locked private hallway.  The balcony is quite large for this to be considered a normal balcony room. Geometry is kind of weird. 

2 minutes ago, Pinballs83 said:

My aft balcony stateroom is interesting. I have to unlock two doors to get into it. Me and one other stateroom has a locked private hallway.  The balcony is quite large for this to be considered a normal balcony room. Geometry is kind of weird. 

Pics please!

4 minutes ago, Pinballs83 said:

What deck are you on?

Deck 14.  I think port and starboard have a similar setup.  Below me looks like a big suite, so I don't think they have that hallway, but I can check later on.

Speaking of signage.  There is an error on the stateroom safe overlay.  They reversed the text for enter and cancel... whoops.  When you push cancel, it is enter.

Edited by Pinballs83
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Pinballs83 said:

Deck 14.  I think port and starboard have a similar setup.  Below me looks like a big suite, so I don't think they have that hallway, but I can check later on.

One benefit could be the isolation of newlyweds.  They won't disturb anyone.

Edited by soremekun
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Pinballs83 said:

Speaking of signage.  There is an error on the stateroom safe overlay.  They reversed the text for enter and cancel... whoops.  When you push cancel, it is enter.

Ask if they will open that door on your balcony and give you access to that Hugh unused balcony.

37 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

We are in a similar cabin. We’ve got 14358. Any pics you could post would be appreciated. 😀

We have 14756 for our Icon cruise in 5 weeks (3/9/24). Looks like a mirror of 14358. Sure hope our balconies are that big! 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

We are in a similar cabin. We’ve got 14358. Any pics you could post would be appreciated. 😀

You are right next to the locked hallway. A bit of a hike to get back here, but I am really liking the aft facing balcony. 

20240203_175907.jpg

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, steamboats said:

Thanks, yes it was only 3 nights onboard for us. The whole ship is absolutely amazing! A real evolution of the Oasis Class ships.

Of course there are things which I don't really appreciate - like that you have to walk through Playmakers to leave the ice show. BTW it's really tricky to find the Teens 'n Club. Sort of ... Go to Absolute Zero, pass the door and turn left to the bathroom... No signage at all.

The Royal Promenade is huge and the open feeling of the two decks is really nice. Ww didn't have enough time to check whether the open concept doesn't lead to a mix of all the sounds from the different venues.

As for the Central Park I feel more comfy on the Oasis Class. But maybe that changes when the plants are growing a bit more. On Oasis Class there are nice little areas with benches to sit. On the Icon it's more like "hurry and walk through".

A lot of nice areas in Chill Island but the pool space might get cramped with a full load of passengers. The Hideaway has almost no shade at all.

Thrill Island is nice (o.k., I don't really need it). Crown's Edge is not really worth the money (whatever it is... 19, 49 or 89.99 USD).

I'd love to do a full cruise to get the real feeling. But I'm pretty sure that as well AS on Oasis Class you won't feel cramped even with a full load.

steamboats 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and impressions of Icon.  I am surprised they don’t have extra seating in Central Park given the additional eating places, bars and jazz set up they have out there. All of the photos I have seen of the Promenade look great. I’m glad they removed those expensive jewelry stores from Icon’s promenade compared to other ships. I think a lot of people with agree with you about paying for Crown’s Edge 😀.

Hopefully, you guys will get to sail on her again and for a full 7 days. We have been following the building of Icon and are looking forward to our sailing on her this coming  spring. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pinballs83 said:

I was peaking around that corner.  I thought it was for a suite or something.  There is a non standard divider, but it has a door that could be opened.

Just ask your cabin steward if they will open it. It doesn't hurt to ask.  I have been watching those areas for a long time.

• Like 1

No go on the access to the extra balcony space. It's a crew only area. The last regular balcony has a normal divider. The door on my balcony to that area is probably only five feet. I'm surprised they don't sell one of these staterooms as an extra large balcony. 

I'm liking this ship so far. More complimentary food than oasis, some open late. Lots of staff and bars. Better version of the promenade.  The flow of the ship is kind of odd in a few places like access to Surfside. 

20240204_115701.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, True Liandry said:

Can anyone tell, on this forum or somewhere else is similar thread about MSC World Europa or MSC World America?

You will have to search the MSC threads to find that out. 

On 2/4/2024 at 7:13 AM, True Liandry said:

Can anyone tell, on this forum or somewhere else is similar thread about MSC World Europa or MSC World America?

Check out the MSC thread:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/49-msc-cruises/

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/403-msc-roll-calls/

Good luck! Cheers!

Edited by SilkySal
add

38 minutes ago, soremekun said:

Random:  For the door number signs, are aft signs blue and forward signs green?  I am trying to find the pattern.

Forward is green, midship blue-ish, aft darker blue

Edited by NanaPam00
  • Thanks 1