Icon of the Seas Blocks Are In The House!

4 hours ago, GimmeOcean said:

What is the point of those orange grates in front of the windows? Just decorative? I feel like I’m missing something obvious.

Those are Shutters for when the Ship goes through a Hurricane while at Sea... There should be a video of how to shut them... click on the "Videos" button at the bottom of your RCCL App...

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

They are just the result of some extremely poor choices made by the design team. 

I guess they keep it from looking like an office building, but I’d really be annoyed having that blocking the view.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

They are just the result of some extremely poor choices made by the design team. 

Kinda like the one entry and exit point into the skating rink through playmakers. Videos coming out of today's sailing already look VERY crowded and the ship is no where near capacity. 

• Haha 1

On 1/27/2024 at 8:27 PM, cr2000 said:

Kinda like the one entry and exit point into the skating rink through playmakers. Videos coming out of today's sailing already look VERY crowded and the ship is no where near capacity. 

I've been to 2 shows there and quest.  It's really not that bad.  Venue was full every time fo yhr ship not bring at capacity won't affect a thing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, True Liandry said:

Good day! According to the DNV https://vesselregister.dnv.com/vesselregister/details/38545 in dimensions section Icon of the Seas is not 250 k GT as was mentioned before but 248663 GT. Tht source looks very reliable. But can anyone confirm what this souce is reliable?

I suspect that’s likely to be right. 
250k is quite a round figure 248.663k is quite specific. 

it’s likely that when planning these things they give a bit of a vague likely figure and as specs change that figure will also change. 

it’s only once in operation they’ll know the exact tonnage. 

I think that still makes her the biggest. Wonder is 236k GT. 

I used 250 k, RCI gave info about 250800 GT. Maybe where was recalculation after ship was completed. Of course Icon of the Seas is biggest cruise ship. That is just a little bit sad what i's not more that 250000. As for Wonder of the Seas there was info about 236857 GT but according to DNV Wonder of the Seas is 235600 GT.

On 1/15/2024 at 9:39 PM, eroller said:

I actually look at tonnage and actual dimensions.  Tonnage is just a measurement of enclosed interior space.  It can be deceiving.  Actual dimensions tell the full story.  In the case of ICON both her tonnage and dimensions are the biggest, so she is the undisputed largest cruise ship in the world.  She doesn’t look it though in person.  

Hi Late answer but still. I thought about that for long time. I think for ships with slit superstructure GT is not all to mesure ship size. I think Oasis class ships is not like 225-235 k GT, but more like 250 k it terms of size. 250 k for fist two generations and 260 k for third generation. Those ships have stlit superstructure and sperstructure ontinues overboard. But inside areas like Central Park and Boardwalk could easily be counted in GT. (They could even make glass roof over Central Park and glass roof above Boardwalk and glass wall on the back of Boardwalk and those areas will be counted to GT. For Icon  of the Seas that would be like 270 GT. Also MSC World Europa also have open promenade, but it's superstructure doesn't go overoard. That means MSC World Europa will be 225 k GT. BUt now one more interesting moment. Oasis have 225 k GT Europa 215 k GT, almost the same. But if two ships will be near each other, Oasis will look like bigger, because it is wider above waterline. So yes, GT dosn't show all size of ship when we talk about ships with split superstructure. Hope you and anyone who will read this message will understand what I mean.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/27/2024 at 7:27 PM, cr2000 said:

Kinda like the one entry and exit point into the skating rink through playmakers.

Except that is incorrect.  There are two other exit points at either side of the rink that lead into the Promenade.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Except that is incorrect.  There are two other exit points at either side of the rink that lead into the Promenade.

Thanks for this information.  I hope someone posts a video soon on this.

13 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

They lead to the outdoor walking track not the Promenade. 

Exactly the only inside entry is through Playmakers. The other two "exits" get you on the jogging track.

steamboats

1 hour ago, steamboats said:

Exactly the only inside entry is through Playmakers. The other two "exits" get you on the jogging track.

steamboats

Which is also called the outdoor promenade and you can enter the inside anywhere there are lots of doors to the jogging track/promenade.  I do not plan to exit through Playmakers.  That's what the large double sliding doors in Absolute Zero are for and the signage over them says Exit to Promenade.

Edited by BecciBoo

11 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Which is also called the outdoor promenade and you can enter the inside anywhere there are lots of doors to the jogging track/promenade.  I do not plan to exit through Playmakers.  That's what the large double sliding doors in Absolute Zero are for and the signage over them says Exit to Promenade.

That's why I said "the only inside exist" 😉.

Anyway it was pretty quick leaving Absolute Zero after the show.

steamboats