Refundable or Non-refundable

We are a party of three....Which one do you usually do...refundable or non refundable? It's a 7 day cruise, so the deposit is $750 and the difference in price is around $600 between the two. I just didn't know what most people do.  I want to do trip insurance too, so I wasn't sure if the non-refundable part would be covered?

We originally book as refundable..  Once we book our flights, then we switch to non-refundable cost is less than our booked refundable cost (which isn't always the case).  But if booking a guarantee room, then it has to be non-refundable.

PS - In your case, that's a pretty big difference of refundable to non-refundable so if you are pretty sure (ignoring unknown circumstances), then it may be worth non-refundable

Edited by LuCruise
  • Like 1

A lot of it is perception.

They used to present it as a "discount" if you chose non-refundable. Things were refundable by default, but you would see savings by choosing non-refundable. Now they present it as an "upcharge" to book refundable. Non-refundable is the new default. But in the end, it's the exact same thing.

When I book a cruise, I intend to follow through and take it. If I don't, then I will pick another cruise in its place. From an economic point of view, I would probably benefit from booking non-refundable. Even when I need to cancel, I would likely be able to apply the penalty toward a change.

However, it gives me peace of mind to book refundable. I reserve before the following year's school schedule is out. Airline fares have been getting ridiculous. It just feels better to book refundable. Nothing is committed until I'm sure school is out and I can get the flights I want.

For the last few cruises I booked the cost of making it refundable was between $140 and $205. For me, that is a reasonable price to pay for the added peace of mind.

Also keep in mind that prices often increase as the sailing date gets closer. I booked my last cruise two years in advance in order to get the best rate. If I would have waited until I was sure I wanted to go, the cruise price would likely have increased much more than the $200 upcharge for a refundable rate. By booking early, you can mitigate the cost of the refundable fare.

For trip insurance, I wait until I am sure that I'm going to go before purchasing it. For all practical purposes, that means I'll purchase insurance as soon as I purchase non-refundable airfare. It does mean that the insurance won't cover pre-existing conditions, but I don't feel confident purchasing insurance before I've truly committed to the trip.

Edited by MightyMike

54 minutes ago, snaefell said:

Only ever booked through a TA & not had a choice in those cases,always non-refundable,is the option only available when you book direct with the cruise line?

Unless you are booking a guarantee cabin or a grand suite or higher you should have a choice between refundable or non-refundable no matter who you book through

1 hour ago, snaefell said:

Only ever booked through a TA & not had a choice in those cases,always non-refundable,is the option only available when you book direct with the cruise line?

We book with a TA all the time get have the option of refundable or non-refundable. 

Are you booking under US/Canadian rules?

2 hours ago, snaefell said:

It’s actually much easier for a TA to get you refundable pricing as they don’t have to go through the entire booking process to get it.  

Thanks for the replies guys,we are in the UK & using a mix of online & high street travel agents,not great cruise enthusiasts,we have done 3 (& a bit!) so far & have 2 booked but so far have not had an option of a refundable deposit on any of them,a refundable deposit would certainly have been handy with the latest booking,Anthem Of The Seas repo in April 2020 which pretty much has turned into a cruise to nowhere for us after RCI dropped Halifax from the cruise,leaving us with Ponta Delgada where we stopped on our last cruise,Cobh & Le Havre where we can go anytime from the UK,using IMO the stupid excuse of the Atlantic can be rough in Winter as the reason,our options have turned into losing the deposit, paying RCI £150 to change to another cruise,none of which we fancy or putting up with it,annoying!

1 minute ago, snaefell said:

Thanks for the replies guys,we are in the UK & using a mix of online & high street travel agents,not great cruise enthusiasts,we have done 3 (& a bit!) so far & have 2 booked but so far have not had an option of a refundable deposit on any of them,a refundable deposit would certainly have been handy with the latest booking,Anthem Of The Seas repo in April 2020 which pretty much has turned into a cruise to nowhere for us after RCI dropped Halifax from the cruise,leaving us with Ponta Delgada where we stopped on our last cruise,Cobh & Le Havre where we can go anytime from the UK,using IMO the stupid excuse of the Atlantic can be rough in Winter as the reason,our options have turned into losing the deposit, paying RCI £150 to change to another cruise,none of which we fancy or putting up with it,annoying!

Refundable deposit is not available in the UK..... that is why so many of us use USA TAs....

Remember, only $100 per person is not refunded at all.  Any additional deposit is refunded as a future cruise credit.

So for a $600 difference, you can rebook 5 times, and still be $100 ahead.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If I book a cruise that's 10 months out at a refundable rate can I then change it to non refundable in a few months when I have air fare booked?  Will RCL just remove that additional fee or will they rebook the cruise at the going rate on the day I change it?

1 minute ago, Lorey2007 said:

If I book a cruise that's 10 months out at a refundable rate can I then change it to non refundable in a few months when I have air fare booked?  Will RCL just remove that additional fee or will they rebook the cruise at the going rate on the day I change it?

Reprice to the going rate.

To be clear the cruise is repriced at that days fare with any promotions that are going on? Do I get to keep the cabin I originally picked?

17 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

4 minutes ago, Lorey2007 said:

To be clear the cruise is repriced at that days fare with any promotions that are going on? Do I get to keep the cabin I originally picked?

23 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Re book as a totally new booking at the going rate and keep the cabin I picked? 

9 minutes ago, Lorey2007 said:

Re book as a totally new booking at the going rate and keep the cabin I picked? 

No, you will keep the same booking number and stateroom.  However, the price will be adjusted to that of the day you make the change.

I Never book non refundable. I’m not loyal to one cruise line and if a better deal or itinerary comes up on one of the other lines I frequent than I can cancel and book that cruise. Also with elderly parents plans can change. I don’t purchase travel insurance until close to final payment so if something comes up before final payment I can cancel without penalty.

Since we want to choose the cabin, we have to pay for nonrefundable. We also buy trip insurance cuz we have 3 kids and parents in their 70s.

From what I understand, we can book another cruise and the deposit is applied as future cruise credit, less $100 per person. If 2 of us are cruising, that's $200 we won't have to apply to the next cruise.