Norwegian Pearl- Disembarked on 4/28/19

Lmburns513

Was anyone sick with the norovirus on your cruise? I was on the transatlantic sailing following that cruise and the ship was a mess! Many passengers and crew were sick and I was wondering if it started with our trip.

Edited by Lmburns513
Typo
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lmburns513 said:

Was anyone sick with the norovirus on your cruise? I was on the transatlantic sailing following that cruise and the ship was a mess! Many passengers and crew were sick and I was wondering if it started with our trip.

No it was one the best cruises we took, the food was great, one night at the buffet there were mounds of jumbo shrimp, I think I ate like 20 of them (yeah the same jumbo shrimp that is offered at Cagneys)  Yeah so I was surprised with the reports of noro on the cruise after ours.  it was a great cruise. (wife had salmon 3 times) what a great cruise

16 hours ago, Newleno said:

No it was one the best cruises we took, the food was great, one night at the buffet there were mounds of jumbo shrimp, I think I ate like 20 of them (yeah the same jumbo shrimp that is offered at Cagneys)  Yeah so I was surprised with the reports of noro on the cruise after ours.  it was a great cruise. (wife had salmon 3 times) what a great cruise

So glad to read this as we will be cruising on The Pearl starting June 8th! Was getting worried with all of the negativity. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nikechic23 said:

So glad to read this as we will be cruising on The Pearl starting June 8th! Was getting worried with all of the negativity. 

The best defense against noro, is to wash your hands often, especially before you eat.

In addition there were plenty of hard workers cleaning tables in the buffet, really the best I have seen, also I saw the staff replacing all serving spoons like every hour, so I was really surprised when I heard about the noro

On 5/13/2019 at 3:56 PM, Lmburns513 said:

Being one of the victims on the above cruise, it started within 48 hours on board with a line out the door at the clinic on 4th deck (my deck) and the passengers to  which it spread rapidly, told to stay in their cabins and Med Staff would come to you.... in my case to took 4 hours  after I reported it. I could never sail the Pearl again and maybe NCL. There was a certain paranoia with all the announcements and quarrenteeing passengers leaving their cabins and ship finally taking their cabin key away. No salt/pepper shakers and condiments on tables, etc.,etc. You had to ask for everything connected with food.. I believe the ship is now totally contaminated and should be off line.. 

There was no apology from staff at any point as I left the ship as if my sickness never occured.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2019 at 2:27 PM, Newleno said:

In addition there were plenty of hard workers cleaning tables in the buffet, really the best I have seen, also I saw the staff replacing all serving spoons like every hour, so I was really surprised when I heard about the noro

we  were on a ship with noro the week before about 4 years ago. It is amazing how hard the crew works to keep in under control. They even wiped off the menus in the dining room after each order. 

• Like 1

We were on the April 28th Transatlantic and just got home a day ago.  After the first couple of days apparently Noro became a crisis.  We luckily did not get sick but heard reports of 30-125 people sick; could have been more as they would not say numbers.

I suspect it was brought on board by embarking passengers, but do not know.  NCL took extreme measures to combat the disease; no more serving yourself in the buffet, constant cleaning by the staff, nothing on tables in dining room when seating but the table cloth, paper menus only, etc.

It was inconvenient to be sure, but we did appreciate the efforts to stem the virus.  We heard of many people being quarantined in their cabins; after a while keys were taken away from sick passengers because some were not obeying the quarantine.  I hope they do a complete cleaning of the ship before the next cruise.

I never heard if the cruise before ours also had problems.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

• 2 weeks later...

A co-worker just got back from the sailing after the noro outbreak and said no one was sick on their cruise (that he saw anyway).  They were on the ship 14 days and had a great time. 

I was on the TA April 28 and had no problems. Not only do I wash my hands frequently, I never shake anyone's hand. At the solo dinner one night, the cruise director, Pedro, extended his hand. I put forth my fist to bump like I normally do with everyone but we laugh and did an elbow greeting instead.

I feel sorry for the people who got sick. However, being quarantine should not be an honor system. It should be mandatory to surrender the cabin key.

Edited by IrieBajan54
word

11 minutes ago, IrieBajan54 said:

I feel sorry for the people who got sick. However, being quarantine should not be an honor system. It should be mandatory to surrender the cabin key.

No need to surrender it. The ship can simply deactivate it.

1 hour ago, Outerdog said:

No need to surrender it. The ship can simply deactivate it.

The only problem is with two or more in the same cabin. We were on this cruise, down the hall were several cabins in quarantine, one man in a bathroom kept coming out in the hallway, in his bathrobe and rummage thru the cabin stewards cart for items. He was also found near the elevators, in the other cabin, observed a PAX entering the cabin with a tray of food from the buffet.  The only thing stopped this activity was the threat made by the captain that if anyone from a quarantine cabin was found outside their cabin, they would be removed at the next port.   

• 5 weeks later...

We were on the April 28th transatlantic and I agree that the staff did a fantastic job of trying to control the virus but the customer service by the desk staff was terrible. I think that the excursions were a nightmare and Norwegians method for getting each excursion off the ship created an extremely hostile environment.  My wife was actually frightened by how angry passengers became out of frustration especially when we were in Dublin.