Single traveller charge - any benefit travelling with a couple?

slidebite

My wife and I are looking at booking a cruise this fall. We have a single friend who has some interest in trying cruising but I believe is a little hesitant going solo. Since we are going, I am considering asking her if she'd like to join us. 

If she were to get her own cabin, are there any benefits for a party of 3? I am sure if she shared a cabin there would be a significant financial savings, but I don't think that would be in the cards.

I suspect not, but just thought I'd ask. Thanks.

Your friend will will pay the single supplement rate, which is the fare for two plus one port charge fee. Singles also do not qualify for many of the promotions. Better if the friend can find another friend to share the cabin.

I'm a solo. Not only do I get all the promos, I get dbl OBC from my PVP if it's a current offering + 60 OBC. The only one I don't get is double embarkation specialty dinner comped (it's just me anyway) + 1 other. I don't get to split over multiple nights. 

54 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I'm a solo. Not only do I get all the promos, I get dbl OBC from my PVP if it's a current offering + 60 OBC. The only one I don't get is double embarkation specialty dinner comped (it's just me anyway) + 1 other. I don't get to split over multiple nights. 

You don't get double PBP during Sip N Sail so that you can have 30 alcoholic beverages a day.  😉

46 minutes ago, bemis12 said:

You don't get double PBP during Sip N Sail so that you can have 30 alcoholic beverages a day.  😉

I couldn't get through 15 a day!! Just leave me my blackjack $$s

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, skynight said:

Just as this is being discussed here is a posting regarding the same issue.

There are very few details in that post.

Edited by Coral

The only benefit I can think of is the advantage of knowing others on the ship.  I cruise solo a lot.  Some ships have solo cabins that cost a bit less than the double occupancy fare - Holland and Norwegian in particular - but they are scarce.  Some cruise lines offer no single supplement on some cruises but you have to hunt for them.  *****.com has a feature that lets you look for single passenger prices and cruises with reduced single supplements, but that is the only one I know of other than calling the cruise lines directly.   Though I know of no benefits, I also know of no detriments other than the higher cost.  Cruise lines will often have a table with several solo diners if you opt for main dining room at a regular time and I've met life long friends that way.   I have never been turned down for a reservation or a table because I was a solo.  

Not sure exactly what you mean by benefits for a solo sailing with a couple. The main one of course is that she will know some people on the ship already.  If you plan to do traditional dining,  make sure your reservations are linked so you are assigned to the same table. She also may want to book some shore excursions with you, she'll have someone she knows to share a cocktail before dinner or play trivia with, and so on. You may want to have a conversation with her in advance about what everyone's expectations are, to avoid hurt feelings. Will you want to share every dinner with her, for instance, or would you two like a "date night" by yourselves? If I were your friend, I would consider it a benefit to sail with friends instead of totally solo, but some people love it. For the record, I think it's a lovely gesture for you to think of including this friend in your vacation plans.