Dublin to London aboard the Cloud—live—May 23, 2019 to June 4, 2019

RachelG

1 hour ago, RachelG said:

I hate scotch too.

Two more here.

Interesting to compare your experiences with ours on the Wind.At least you don't have to pay extra for the excursions but the difference in price more than compensates for that these days.

Loving the report.

Edited by drron29
  • Like 1

Rachel:

thanks for doing such such an awesome job reporting about your trip, and all the great pictures.  Love those Puffins.  Also nice to see the bridge that the Hogwarts Express went over since I am a Harry Potter fanatic.   By the way, if there is a ever and scotch or beer tasting and George doesn’t want them, I will be the next one in line behind him to take them off your hands.

Now a report from Tulsa.  More bad weather and RAIN!!!!!!  Last night or early this morning we were rudely awakened by Tornado sirens again, 12:30 am.  After tearing apart El Reno, west of Oklahoma City, it bounced along and whacked Sapulpa.  No deaths, but lots of damage.  Then went about 2 miles south of us, we live near Tulsa Hills.  Mainly tree and power pole damage, then on to Jenks where it also had mostly tree and power pole damage according to initial reports.  Creek Turnpike closed near Jenks because Debris and power poles on the road.  Then went to other parts of Broken Arrow and on east. 

More stuff, but I think I told you enough.  Not terrible, but not good either.  Water is still high in the rivers, and probably will be for weeks because the rain keeps coming.  Never saw the rivers this high.  Two couples that we know that live near 121st and Sheridan have put their furniture up and hermetically sealed their homes with tarps and sandbags just in case the water gets higher.  Hopefully not, but better safe than sorry.

continue to enjoy your trip, and letting us enjoy it with you,  and I hope you didn’t mind getting a Tulsa report.

• Like 1

May 26, 2019–Portree, Isle of Skye, Scotland

I woke up after a sound sleep to foghorns and fog, lots of it, so thick I couldn’t see much of anything.  It gradually cleared enough to see some tree covered hills rising out of the sea. We were surrounded by islands on all sides, one with a town just barely visible which would be Portree on the Isle of Skye.

As yesterday, we have been here before and very much liked it. Our plan for the day was to visit Armadale Castle and Gardens.  It was very damp with drizzling rain and temperatures about 50F with a fair amount of wind, so we layered accordingly.

The zodiac ride to shore was fine what with all the layers.  We boarded a nice bus for the 45 minute ride via narrow winding roads to Armadale, the ancestral home of the MacDonald clan.  Once there, it was raining pretty steadily.  George and I first walked through the lush gardens to the ruins of the old castle, which you can’t go into because they are unsafe.  The gardens have huge rhododendrons and all sorts of trees.  The rhododendrons are just spectacular.  I have never seen so many and so large.  We walked around a bit more then up to the museum.  I found my grandmother’s family name on the list of families in the clan.  The museum is small but very informative regarding the clans history and subsequent migration of many members to America and elsewhere.

Back to the bus and back to Portree where they dropped us off in the town square.  The plan was to go to get fish and chips, but when we found the shop, it was pouring rain and there was a long line out the door with no seats inside.  People were eating fish and chips in the pouring rain, which didn’t sound a bit appealing to me.  And the wind had picked up considerably, so we headed to the zodiacs.

It was a very rough and wet ride back to the ship, and just when we thought it couldn’t get worse, we started getting pelted with sleet.  The zodiac operator and the crew at the ship did an expert job of getting the zodiac secured and us out safely, but everyone in our zodiac was quite fit and mobile.  Otherwise it could have been downright dangerous.

We dried off and went for a late lunch in La Terraza, then George hit the gym while I went to exercise class.  Only one other lady there for first class and two others for second, so two semi private classes—stretching and abs.  The instructor really know how to work you hard when she realizes you are used to working out.

Had to do some communication with home as a tornado hit our street last night.  Apparently our house is ok, but the street is blocked with downed trees.  Our air conditioning has been out for 3 days due to either a lightening strike or power surge from the previous storm.  But we have electricity. The air con guy came out and told Jenny what was wrong, but not sure when he will get it fixed as he is way backed up due to the storms, and a bunch of roads are closed due to flooding or downed trees.

Trivia was a bust.  The Venetian Society reception was tonight.  George and I got the 100 night recognition, but we have been enjoying free laundry all cruise.  

Delicious dinner in the dining room.  I will try to post pics of the menu.  George had outstanding lamb, and my shrimp were great.

• Like 1

Sorry about your weather, Rachel. Skye looks beautiful and it's a shame not to be able to enjoy the great scenery. I'm forecasting dry skies for St. Kilda tomorrow, but I have been known to be wrong before. I hope you get to see the amazing bird colonies there and the gigantic cliffs!

Saw those scary storms on radar last night.  Would not have wanted to be there, that’s for sure.  

Congrats on the free laundry!  Amy & Taylor want to know how many dresses you’ll bringing to Antarctica for our formal nights?  Still working on JP to bring a real suitcase to the end of the earth. 😁

7 hours ago, JohnGinPBG said:

Sorry about your weather, Rachel. Skye looks beautiful and it's a shame not to be able to enjoy the great scenery. I'm forecasting dry skies for St. Kilda tomorrow, but I have been known to be wrong before. I hope you get to see the amazing bird colonies there and the gigantic cliffs!

We have been to Skye once before—on a bright sunny day, and it was spectacular.

3 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Saw those scary storms on radar last night.  Would not have wanted to be there, that’s for sure.  

Congrats on the free laundry!  Amy & Taylor want to know how many dresses you’ll bringing to Antarctica for our formal nights?  Still working on JP to bring a real suitcase to the end of the earth. 😁

Tell Amy and Taylor I have 3 dresses on this trip, plus 2 fancy tops which I wear with leather pants.  Still working on wardrobe details for Antarctica, but at least 3 dresses.

Edited by RachelG
  • Like 1

Kudos Rachel & George for reaching the free laundry/100 days on SS milestone.

Thanks again for your robust & very entertaining posts & beautiful snaps.

Rachel, if you have time can you please post a screen shot of the daily fitness schedule offered by the Cloud Fitness instructor.  Do George and you find the fitness equipment adequate for your needs?   Lastly, how is the entertainment in the lounges? 

• Like 1

Rachel, enjoying your review very much and have been following the storms......my heart goes out to all of those affected....looks like parts of the state is a war zone:classic_sad:

3 hours ago, WesW said:

Kudos Rachel & George for reaching the free laundry/100 days on SS milestone.

Thanks again for your robust & very entertaining posts & beautiful snaps.

Rachel, if you have time can you please post a screen shot of the daily fitness schedule offered by the Cloud Fitness instructor.  Do George and you find the fitness equipment adequate for your needs?   Lastly, how is the entertainment in the lounges? 

The gym is larger than that on Silversea Explorer, about the same size as on Regent Navigator, with a couple of treadmills, a couple of ellipticals, some exercise bikes and a weight machine as well as free weights.  Not outstanding but adequate.  The machines are situated so that you can see outside while you are exercising.  

Entertainment in lounges is somewhat spartan.  One singer who is pretty good but too loud and 2 pianists (one for each lounge).

image.jpg

• Like 1

No competition for gym space from us. We have been inside the gyms maybe 3 times in over 100 days. There will always be time to exercise when we get home!

Kudos to those of you who have the time and discipline to exercise on vacation. We only do so when running around on self-guided tours. 

Rachel, Chris and I finally caught up on your posts today. Thanks for the menu. It looks way nicer than the airplane food we're getting here on our flight home! Beautiful sunset too. Keep on enjoying!

• Like 1

Rachel,  thanks so very much for posting the Cloud's Fitness Centre activity/seminar schedule above.

How do you rate the Cloud Expedition team vs. the other expedition voyages George and you have taken?  Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, WesW said:

Rachel,  thanks so very much for posting the Cloud's Fitness Centre activity/seminar schedule above.

How do you rate the Cloud Expedition team vs. the other expedition voyages George and you have taken?  Thanks in advance.

The expedition team is very large; therefore, we haven’t gotten to know them that well.  Not like on the Explorer cruises at all.  But they seem very competent.

• Like 1

May 27, 2019–St. Kilda, Scotland

We had a very rocky sail through the night to St. Kilda which is in open ocean 40 nautical miles beyond the Outer Hebrides.  St. Kilda is actually anarchipelago.   It is now uninhabited except for the rangers and a few military personnel, but people lived there until 1930.  A breed of ancient sheep, the Soay, also live there.

We awoke to something we hadn’t seen in several days, the sun shining brightly.  The temperatures were around 50F, but felt warmer.  There were multiple grass topped rock outcroppings with steep sides rising out of the ocean around us, with a large island, Hirta, on one side.  We anchored very close, so we could see the remains of multiple ancient rock structures called cleitean which are only found on St Kilda.  They were storage huts, and there are over 1000 still present on Hirta.

A ranger came aboard to give a lecture about the islands, then we went over to the island by zodiac.  We were able to hike all over.  2 organized hikes were offered,one short and steep and the other longer but not as steep though we did have a big elevation gain.  Or you could just do your own thing.  

There were sheep all over with lots of lambs.  This type of sheep doesn’t require shearing.  They sort of molt and lose their heavy coats in the summer.  Many were in the middle that process.  They looked pretty pitiful with their scraggly coats even though they were plenty fat.

George took off on this own for the top of the island.  I did the long, not so steep hike and made it to the top without too much trouble.  Great views from all sides, beautiful sunshine, and ocean surrounding which was a very clear deep blue.  

I hiked back down, had a quick look at the tiny museum, then went back to the ship— getting 12,000 steps for the morning.  George showed up shortly afterward, and we went for lunch on the pool deck.  It was cold, but the views were worth it.  I had a burger and fries, something I hardly ever order, as a reward for my hike. 

In the afternoon, we did a scenic cruise by Boreray, Stac Armin, and Stac Lee which are big rock islands coming straight up out of the ocean.  They are home to thousands of birds, mostly Gannets, and some very hardy sheep.  We were able to get really close and had a great view.

Our dinner reservations were for La Dame, the French restaurant.  I had received mixed reviews, so we were interested to see for ourselves.  And it was outstanding, worth every penny.  The mushroom soup was so good, almost as good as that in the old Signatures on Regent, which is the standard for any soup ever.  My Dover Sole was the best I have ever had, and I am a connoisseur of Dover sole.  Just perfectly prepared.  George’s steak was excellent (I took a bite), and we split a lobster that was perfectly prepared.  I often have an issue with lobster because it is over cooked and tough.  This one was moist and tender, just right.

Edited by RachelG
  • Like 2

Wow, Rachel, St Kilda looks amazing, especially with great weather. Very few people get to visit these islands - you are so fortunate. And to top off the day with dinner at La Dame? So nice that you had such a great day after a couple of washouts.

Hope your sail to Orkney is smooth. Thanks so much for your report and photos.

8 hours ago, RachelG said:

My Dover Sole was the best I have ever had, and I am a connoisseur of Dover sole.  Just perfectly prepared.

This is good to know!  If you and George ever make it to our neck of the woods, Amy & I have a couple of places to take you that'll put your Dover sole palette to the test.

• Like 1

May 28, 2019— Kirkwall, Scotland 

After a smooth night’s sailing, we awoke to bright sunny skies with high puffy clouds.    We were docked with low rolling green hills on one side and a small town with big cathedral right in front.  It was chilly, in the 40s, with a very strong wind.  But at least there was sun.

We had been to Kirkwall once before and thoroughly enjoyed it, so looked forward to today.  Our plan was to hike from Yesnaby to Skara Brae.  Moss started calling out the tours early, as has been the norm on this cruise, so George had to scramble to get ready.  I must say, the getting the tours out and going on time has been the most efficient I have ever seen, at least thus far.  Regent could take a lesson.  No sitting for interminable time in the theater or exchanging tickets for numbers.  I understand it is easier with fewer passengers, but still!  

We boarded the bus and drove along the narrow roads (some so narrow that two cars can’t pass, so they have special passing spots) to Yesnaby.  The fields along the way appeared very fertile with good green grass.  Very healthy looking cattle, both beef and dairy, as well as sheep, were grazing. 

We started hiking along the high sea cliffs.  We could see the island of Hoy, with the Old Man of Hoy, a rock formation, to our left in the distance.  The cliffs are sandstone, so they crumble easily.  You have to be careful not to get too close to the edge.  The path was relatively level, but with enough rocks and crevices that you had to pay attention in places.  We saw lots of seabirds nesting and even got dive bombed by a couple as they apparently thought we were too close to their nest.

After about 3 miles, we arrived at a big beach where we hiked down then up to Skara Brae which is an archeological site with very well preserved ruins of a settlement from the end of the Ice Age.  There is an informative visitors center, and we also were able to visit Skaill House which was the home of the Laird at the time the ruins were found in the 1800’s.

After touring, we drove back to the ship, seeing a couple more archeological sites along the way, then getting pelted with hail.  The free shuttle to downtown was waiting for us at the ship.  By the time the shuttle took us to downtown, the hail had stopped, so we walked to lunch at Helgi’s, a place we had discovered on our previous visit.  George got his fish and chips fix.

We walked around town a bit and went to the local museum which had an interesting exhibit about the scuttling of a bunch of German ships at the end of WWI.

Back at the ship, a group of local girls gave a dance recital which was actually very good.  Then we had dinner with friends in La Terraza.  They had lost the reservation, but we had proof.  So they put together a table and made it right.  Very good food and fun night with friends.

• Like 3