Regent Cancels Muara Brunei adds Puerto Princesa PI

Just received email from Regent:

We would like to inform you of a change to your upcoming Seven Seas Explorer March 9, 2021, 28-night Asia itinerary, The Best of Asia, sailing Hong Kong, China to Tokyo, Japan.

Given the recent information that has come to light, we’ve made the decision to cancel all future calls to Muara, Brunei. In addition......., and a call to Puerto Princesa, Philippines has been added.

Regent doesn't say what the "Recent information" is but I guess it is because of Brunie's newly enacted draconian homophobic laws.

Any one been to Puerto Princesa?

J

7 hours ago, JMARINER said:

Just received email from Regent:

We would like to inform you of a change to your upcoming Seven Seas Explorer March 9, 2021, 28-night Asia itinerary, The Best of Asia, sailing Hong Kong, China to Tokyo, Japan.

Given the recent information that has come to light, we’ve made the decision to cancel all future calls to Muara, Brunei. In addition......., and a call to Puerto Princesa, Philippines has been added.

Regent doesn't say what the "Recent information" is but I guess it is because of Brunie's newly enacted draconian homophobic laws.

Any one been to Puerto Princesa?

We stopped there on the World Cruise.  Just looked back to see what we did.  We took a highlights tour.  Started in a van to a Plaza.  During World War II Japan invaded the island.  US soldiers were holding out in a bunker.  The Japanese set fire to the bunker.  A few escaped to tell the story.  Of interest to us is after the war ended, the soldiers bodies were moved to St. Louis and buried.  We plan on visiting their mass grave this summer.  Then we took their version of a tuk tuk to a World War II Museum.  Next a market.  Final stop was a Boardwalk.  I kept the Destinations tour descriptions.  If I find the one for this leg, I will be back to let you know what else was offered. 

• Like 1

We received the Brunei cancellation for our Voyager cruise December 2019 very shortly after the new laws were enacted, so I assumed that was the reason. We have an extra day at sea, so any new port is probably better than that.

I finally found the correct paper.  We had three tours offered in Puerto Princesa.  

St. Paul Underground River - Regent Choice - $99 - Two hour bus ride to a wharf.  Thirty minute ride on a local outrigger.  Forty-five minute tour of underground river via paddle boat.  Stop for lunch on return.

Puerto Princesa Highlights - Free - Forty minute bus ride to a penal colony.  Tour.  Twenty Five minute walk to a Heritage Center.  Visit.  Fifteen minute drive to WWII museum.  Visit.  Drive to Plaza Cuartel.  Visit.  Walk to Cathedral.  Visit.  Return to pier.

Local Escapade - Free - This is the one we did.  Drive to Plaza Cuartel.  Visit.  Walk to Cathedral.  Tuk tuk to WWII museum.  Visit.  Continue to souvenir shop.  Shop.  Ride to local market and visit.  Continue to Baywalk to catch van back to the ship.

2 hours ago, RachelG said:

Personally glad they are dropping Brunei.  

Why?

I have never been there before.  (Not that Brunei looked all that interesting.)

J

35 minutes ago, JMARINER said:

Why?

I have never been there before.  (Not that Brunei looked all that interesting.)

J

They have sharia law.  Women have no rights.  If a woman is raped, it is considered her fault.  Now they are going to enforce the anti homosexual laws strictly.  Punishment for theft is cutting off a hand.  And that is just the start.

• Like 1

Punishment for homosexuality is death by stoning. This applies to everyone, including foreigners and non-Muslims.

We have been there twice, and there is nothing of interest to see there. The port is at least a half hour shuttle drive from the town in the middle of nowhere.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, BBWC said:

Punishment for homosexuality is death by stoning. This applies to everyone, including foreigners and non-Muslims.

We have been there twice, and there is nothing of interest to see there. The port is at least a half hour shuttle drive from the town in the middle of nowhere.

There is no way we would go to a country that is not accepting of the LGBTQ community.  We fully support this community and I am having trouble wrapping my head around how people in some parts of the world can hang on to the hate and prejudice.  This is not meant as a political post but rather a human post.

We have been to Brunei and do not remember much about it which says a lot. 

We were just in Brunei.  The standard of living is high but the living is highly controlled.  Many travel over to the next country for a little fun.  The sultan’s residence(s) are over the top opulent.  The main mosque is over the top opulent.   We did a river cruise and saw a formidable crocodile waiting for us to fall overboard as well as some proboscis monkeys.   Then on to the water village which was interesting but we spent a bit too much time there.   

3 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

There is no way we would go to a country that is not accepting of the LGBTQ community.  We fully support this community and I am having trouble wrapping my head around how people in some parts of the world can hang on to the hate and prejudice.  This is not meant as a political post but rather a human post.

I love your statement and your commitment, but in actuality, you do go to many countries that are not accepting of the LGBTQ community, starting with too much of the US, sadly. And most African countries, many South American nations, Eastern European, Caribbean, etc. Some are more overtly hostile than others, of course. 

Edited by redjetz

51 minutes ago, redjetz said:

I love your statement and your commitment, but in actuality, you do go to many countries that are not accepting of the LGBTQ community, starting with too much of the US, sadly. And most African countries, many South American nations, Eastern European, Caribbean, etc. Some are more overtly hostile than others, of course. 

You are obviously correct.  I am saddened by the views taken on by the U.S. government but do not want to tread into political territory as it is not okay with Cruise Critic.  As much as I want the world to be open to everyone, I understand that this is not the case.  However, when being "homosexual" will cause you to be stoned to death, it takes it to another level.  

So, the only thing I can really do is applaud Regent for stopping visits to Brunei.

I must agree with TC2 that I appreciate Regent having taken the decision to cancel visits to this autocracy with its astoundingly repellent social laws.

Even if the place was really interesting, which it is not, cruise lines should no longer stop there, as that would support the ghastly policies of the absolute ruler, the sultan, who lives an appallingly lavish life while many of the people in the country, particularly those who are brought in to do low-level jobs, live at a level that is close to poverty.

Sadly, although the decision of cruise lines to avoid Brunei will not likely change the mind of the sultan regarding the strict sharia laws that he supports, that decision will at least provide a small note of international protest against such repugnant laws.

Edited by freddie

I don't think that cruise lines base their decisions on the politics of the countries they visit. They are more likely to be concerned with the safety of their passengers ashore. If - gay - passengers are seriously at risk, the port gets cancelled. 

3 hours ago, Floridiana said:

I don't think that cruise lines base their decisions on the politics of the countries they visit. They are more likely to be concerned with the safety of their passengers ashore. If - gay - passengers are seriously at risk, the port gets cancelled. 

I like to believe that they feel the same way about any of their crew who might also be at risk.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RJ2002 said:

I like to believe that they feel the same way about any of their crew who might also be at risk.

I agree. I'm sure Regent takes into account the safety of everyone on the ship that goes ashore. As a woman, I felt uncomfortable going on an excursion to the mosques of Brunei, and it wasn't something I was really looking forward to on our cruise.  But,  it would have been interesting to see how local women were involved in our excursion when we reached the floating city portion of the tour that's outside of the city. The excursion description seemed to suggest they were business owners outside of the city,  but that may be just making it less unpalatable to the cruise guests.

8 hours ago, RJ2002 said:

I like to believe that they feel the same way about any of their crew who might also be at risk

The crew, of course, as well.

I find mosques very interesting, have visited several decorative mosques that are accessible to visitors. The major mosques in Abu Dhabi and Oman are  simply amazing. You just have to adhere to their dress code or they make visitors wear a cover up. And yes, Muslim women own businesses in the countries I have visited which, I admit, do not include Brunei. 

We have also visited mosques (I purchased proper clothing before we left for the Middle East - not expensive and I did not keep it).  I found one mosque quite amazing (think that it was in Oman).  We were able to see how the men wash themselves before entering the mosque (demonstrated by a wonderful guide).  

Many people (including us - twice) have been in the Blue Mosque in Istanbul - another amazing place but we did not learn much by walking through it.

Most Muslim people are very kind people (no different really than we are in many ways).  Women may not be treated the same as men which can be a challenge for me as a woman but I respect their culture and understand that what works for us may not work for others.  

However, the law that has been past in Brunei is just horrendous.  I would be horrified and against it - no matter what country passed the law.  And, has been mentioned, the safety of the crew and guests is most important for Regent.