Shipboard Entertaining 25-30 People

AnnintheGarden

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with arranging a cocktail party during their trip.

I am curious as to the best days and times — (I know not to conflict with formal evenings at least and I would like it a bit later in the trip in case I meet a few other people I would like to invite)

Where are these normally held on the ship?

How was the catering handled?

I would appreciate tips and suggestions.

We are in Q. We head out on the July 7-14 from NY to Southampton and return on the August 11 trip from Southampton to NY.

12 hours ago, AnnintheGarden said:

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with arranging a cocktail party during their trip.

I am curious as to the best days and times — (I know not to conflict with formal evenings at least and I would like it a bit later in the trip in case I meet a few other people I would like to invite)

Where are these normally held on the ship?

How was the catering handled?

I would appreciate tips and suggestions.

We are in Q. We head out on the July 7-14 from NY to Southampton and return on the August 11 trip from Southampton to NY.

Had get togethers many times in the Suite. Your Butler will be happy discuss your food/beverage requirements and take care of everything for you, including the service and the personal invitations.  If not for your Suite, the Butler will arrange for the function in a private room.

I was just informed by my agent that the only option is to entertain in our suite and we can accommodate perhaps 10-12.

I was quietly astonished she was telling me this now as I have been quite clear all along regarding the fact that we will be entertaining. 

So so does anyone know definitively if entertaining in the suite is the only way? 

18 minutes ago, AnnintheGarden said:

So so does anyone know definitively if entertaining in the suite is the only way? 

The group with which we were traveling had a private cocktail party in the Corinthia Lounge. There were 36 of us. I was only a guest and not involved in the planning, but obviously it can be done. 

18 minutes ago, AnnintheGarden said:

On the UK version of the FAQs is 'Can I hire a room for a private function?' The answer is yes, the room is free, and they suggest you contact the Customer Contact Centre to talk about it. Perhaps best to bypass the TA.  Someone cleverer than me might be able to post a link.

I know that a rooms can be reserved for a gathering such as a Cruise Critic meet & greet, but typically the room is on Deck 2 near Connexions and does not normally have a bar.

Isn't there a room just aft of the Commodore Club on the port side? That should accommodate 15-20.

3 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

I know that a rooms can be reserved for a gathering such as a Cruise Critic meet & greet, but typically the room is on Deck 2 near Connexions and does not normally have a bar.

Isn't there a room just aft of the Commodore Club on the port side? That should accommodate 15-20.

They mention charging for food and beverages, so no doubt they can provide them.

The Admirals Room behind the Commodore Club on the QE and the QE are available for functions, Ive been to quite a few in them over the years. Of course the room is used for other meetings such as the AA meet and also where the tv show is filmed so it has to be for a time when not already booked. If you are in Grills, your Butler will organise for you, otherwise the Pursers office will coordinate with the Hotel manager.

And as for numbers in your suite for a party , my top number so far was 48,  next year I hope to squeeze a few more in, 

Have a great party.

• Like 3

I phoned the Cunard Customer Care number and the woman who answered was astonished.

she said it absolutely is possible. She said she could not understand why my TA was being told it was not possible.

she encouraged me to email Cunard Onboard Services so I have just done so.

if anyone else has any ideas please let me know.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AnnintheGarden said:

I phoned the Cunard Customer Care number and the woman who answered was astonished.

she said it absolutely is possible. She said she could not understand why my TA was being told it was not possible.

she encouraged me to email Cunard Onboard Services so I have just done so.

if anyone else has any ideas please let me know.

May one suggest the immediate defenestration of your TA with some vigour.

• Like 2

Your TA's reply is very strange.

Firstly, 20 to 25 people in a QG stateroom is easily done, why, we have that number for our soirees in our Britannia cabin, although it is a bit of a squash and not ideal if you can't put people out on the balcony. The advantage of the stateroom is that you can provide all of the food and drinks yourself so it works out a lot cheaper.

Our travel agency frequently hosts receptions on board - you have to pay for the food and drink if you do it in a public room. We have never heard that it can't be done.

Roscoe's parties are of the stuff that urban legends inspire, may be you can out do him! I'm sorry we will miss meeting you as we only embark on the 14th.

2 hours ago, safarigal said:

Your TA's reply is very strange.

Firstly, 20 to 25 people in a QG stateroom is easily done, why, we have that number for our soirees in our Britannia cabin, although it is a bit of a squash and not ideal if you can't put people out on the balcony. The advantage of the stateroom is that you can provide all of the food and drinks yourself so it works out a lot cheaper.

Our travel agency frequently hosts receptions on board - you have to pay for the food and drink if you do it in a public room. We have never heard that it can't be done.

Roscoe's parties are of the stuff that urban legends inspire, may be you can out do him! I'm sorry we will miss meeting you as we only embark on the 14th.

LOL...I was just about to say the same about you Safrigal...wasnt it one of your legendary parties that created the flotsam and jetsam that create your Veuve Clicquot boat in the pool Boat race??? I think you won from memory....

I also remembered that the Yacht club is available and its bar of course. Viaggio has regular cocktail parties in it, and also Terry Waites Duckling parties are usually held there, they are private parties - the Cruise Critic parties that the ship organised are usually held in the connexions room....(probably to discourage them it would be a hideous room for a party)

I might respectfully suggest that your agent isn't that familiar with the Cunard culture....the parties are why we go!

Anne- to answer your question regarding timing, formal nights can be a good night for a cocktail party, an hour for dining times gives people somewhere to go before dinner and means you know that their time is limited and you won't be sweeping up drunks well after you wanted to leave yourself. Otherwise, early evening around 5ish if they are in the admirals lounge is a good time for people - it depends on how long you want people to stay around. the longer they are there, if you are paying for the alcohol and nibbles the higher the cost. 

I had a couple of afternoon teas in my suite during the world cruise, they worked out quite good as it was mid day and not everyone wanted to get sozzled that early in the afternoon. Although that didn't stop the usual suspects........

Edited by roscoe39

3 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

defenestration
/ˌdiːfɛnɪˈstreɪʃ(ə)n/
noun

1. 1. 
    FORMALHUMOROUS
    the action of throwing someone out of a window.
    "death by defenestration has a venerable history"
    •  
  2. 2. 
    INFORMAL
    the action or process of dismissing someone from a position of power or authority.
    "that victory resulted in Churchill's own defenestration by the war-weary British electorate"

great word PORT ROYAL...I had to look that one up its now my word of the week !

22 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Look my agent was correct:

”Unfortunately,  the ship is not accepting any request's for July 07 or Aug 11 voyages these are blacked out voyages for ship's own activities.”

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AnnintheGarden said:

Look my agent was correct:

”Unfortunately,  the ship is not accepting any request's for July 07 or Aug 11 voyages these are blacked out voyages for ship's own activities.”

just to confirm Ann, what whip are we talking about?

12 hours ago, AnnintheGarden said:

My agent just said that it is only available for some cruises and asked if those who have attended these private events had them at a certain time of year. 

I am going to give her all of these comments.

So typical of some Travel Agents who probably haven't cruised 'Cunard Line' as many of the seasoned Cunarders on this board have.

I'm assuming you are sailing on QM2 ? ( as you mention New York)

The 'Board Room' which is adjacent to the Commodore Bar on deck 9 would be the ideal venue to hold your reception.

Once onboard make an appointment  to discus  your plans with the following;

The 'Customer Services Manager' and the 'Grills Concierge', this is the route you should take. Travel agents or Cunard shoreside staff will be unable to help you.

Your embarkation day 'Daily programme' will list the name of the onboard Customer Services Manager for your particular voyage. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

So typical of some Travel Agents who probably haven't cruised 'Cunard Line' as many of the seasoned Cunarders on this board have.

I'm assuming you are sailing on QM2 ? ( as you mention New York)

The 'Board Room' which is adjacent to the Commodore Bar on deck 9 would be the ideal venue to hold your reception.

Once onboard make an appointment  to discus  your plans with the following;

The 'Customer Services Manager' and the 'Grills Concierge', this is the route you should take. Travel agents or Cunard shoreside staff will be unable to help you.

Your embarkation day 'Daily programme' will list the name of the onboard Customer Services Manager for your particular voyage. 

Good answer Bell Boy. 

There are of course other venues when timing considerations are taken into account.

As you are aware, you and I have attended 'private' functions in the G32 and the old Wintergarden  on Queen Mary 2...

1697022306_CandBnoticewithDragana.jpg.5ab34d03eac1658d0e5b111118dbb3a9.jpg

• Like 1

OP’s TA  may have limited knowledge of the Cunard Product?

May not book Cunard very often , may have not 

taken advantage of Cunard free TA online training for Commodore  Certification   , CLIA training , or no training at all ?

At worse , merely an order taker ☹️

19 hours ago, laktex said:

How about upgrading to a Q1 - no problem then!

Excellent idea. Ann are you traveling with 25 to 30 friends, or do you plan to collect these folk along the way? In which case I would recommend a date late in the trip so you will have plenty of time to make 25 friends who would be interested in coming to your affair. The largest gathering I have been to on QM2 was about twelve for drinks before dinner hosted by a couple who are a Lord and Lady, and very gregarious. The attendees were fellow QG diners at near by tables, and a couple of folk they met at the Commodore after Dinner. I suggest that you limit your guest list to the folk who will fit in your suite and on the balcony. Your butler can arrange for drinks and snacks.