Getting ahold of home Doctor

USA41018

My husband has terminal cancer and is currently feeling good,  We have a cruise in about 5 weeks going to the Caribbean and he really wants to go but is afraid of not being able to get a hold of his doctors here at home in case of a problem.  WE really should not have a problem because he is ok but he would just like to know he can get a hold of them  How is the ships phone service to call the US. I remember seeing in the cabin directions for calling home.  Any help would be so appreciated.

We have used ship to shore several times.The connection is great. Sometimes when you call a doctor, you get the answering service, and the doc calls you back. Is there a way to get the docs cell number to call just during the cruise?

We have used cabin phone, our cell phones, and the phone at guest services to call a US land line. All are as clear as my home phone.

Carnival to my knowledge has no way for someone to call your cabin phone or even the ship directly. Your cell phone will work to send and receive if your plan allows. Call your carrier to make sure your phone is set up and maybe buy one of the packages that cost less per minute.

Ship to shore works, but, get the internet package, the premium one so you be able to pick up that phone and use it very fast wherever you go.  I am sorry for your husband, but he has to go on this trip, he needs it, both of you do!

• Like 1

This has nothing to do with phone use to get ahold of your husband's doctors but it is something that might help put his mind at ease for the cruise. 

As someone who has cruised for 2 years during aggressive cancer treatment, and all with the blessings of my medical care team, before each cruise their offices would put together a mini medical file for me to give the ship's doctor. It would include my diagnosis, prognosis, current treatment plan (including) list of surgeries performed and planned), Rx medications required, otcs allowed, supplements suggested, along with a quick overview of possible drug interactions, and a thumb drive of any recent scans or lab tests. I think they may of also included direct (emergency) line phone numbers for the ship's doctor (or 1 in port) to contact should there be a complication or on board emergency. 

As soon as I could I would deliver these to the sickbay sometimes prior to eating embarkation day lunch. Never had a "office visit" charged or even have the nurse or PA look at me odd. Before the end of the cruise I would return to sickbay to retrieve the envelope.

• Like 2

On 5/23/2019 at 4:45 PM, USA41018 said:

My husband has terminal cancer and is currently feeling good,  We have a cruise in about 5 weeks going to the Caribbean and he really wants to go but is afraid of not being able to get a hold of his doctors here at home in case of a problem.  WE really should not have a problem because he is ok but he would just like to know he can get a hold of them  How is the ships phone service to call the US. I remember seeing in the cabin directions for calling home.  Any help would be so appreciated.

You'll be able to use your cabin phone to call but the charges run 'about' $2. a min.!

the phones are good - costs a bit to make a call but if you need to you can 

I have pancreatic cancer -- just be sure to have all his meds pain, nausea, etc anything he might use even if he does not currently need it just bring it to be safe 

On 5/23/2019 at 2:58 PM, beacha said:

We have used ship to shore several times.The connection is great. Sometimes when you call a doctor, you get the answering service, and the doc calls you back. Is there a way to get the docs cell number to call just during the cruise?

When a patient calls during after hours, the answering service will direct the patient to the MD on call.  I’ve worked in healthcare for 12 years.  No doctor I know of gives their cell to patients since that will give patients the green light to call at any time.  MDs need their rest too and not one of them would want to pick up a patient’s call at 4am unless they are actually working. 

2 hours ago, Erik101 said:

When a patient calls during after hours, the answering service will direct the patient to the MD on call.  I’ve worked in healthcare for 12 years.  No doctor I know of gives their cell to patients since that will give patients the green light to call at any time.  MDs need their rest too and not one of them would want to pick up a patient’s call at 4am unless they are actually working. 

My doctor gave me his cell phone number. I have called him at any hour. He always answers. He’s a wonderful geriatrician.

4 hours ago, Erik101 said:

There are quite a few that do actually. Depends on the doctor and it really depends on the patient. Some are respectful and only call in a true emergency, others are entitled and call with questions that can wait until business hours.