How soon after boarding can you take your carryon items to the cabin?

jennaja

As soon as you board you will have access to your cabin.  There used to be a delay but it’s been quite a while since they did away with that.  Thank goodness.  You will also be allowed to stay in your cabin until your number is called for disembarkation.  I really appreciate both these things about HAL.

• Like 1

When the ship needed a deep cleaning, we have been delayed getting onto the ship and then had to wait even longer to be able to drop off our carry ons, etc. until an announcement was made.  This has happened to us a couple of times.

Other than that we have been able to drop off items right away and then go and do whatever we want to do.  Like check on pre booked specialty dining reservations and lunch in the dining room.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I have showed up earlier than the cabin was ready but I was able to stow my carry on and left for the few minutes it took for the crew to finish preparations.

Exactly.  You open the door, drop your carry-on in the closet and leave.  Elapsed time: 10 seconds.  No problem!  We've done that a few times.

Edited by taxmantoo
  • Like 3

The HAL standard is that cabins be ready for passengers when passengers are allowed to begin boarding.

There are rare times that cabins are not quite ready yet, but an announcement is made shortly after the standard time. There are even rarer times when the ship has been held up due to deep cleaning, or a slew of government agencies swooping in for various inspections.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bennybear said:

A month ago they wouldn’t let us even take our carry on to the cabin.   We had to wait for the announcement and take our carry on to the Lido.   

Happened to us on both cruises on K'dam. They allowed us to board, but we couldn't go to our cabins. The first time, they made an announcement that people could wait in the terminal or board. That was around 11:30-11:40. We were in the first group and opted to board. We waited near the MDR then took our carry-ons to lunch. About 12:15, they announced cabins were available, but by then we were settled in for lunch.  

• Like 1

Ours wasn’t cleared until around 1 pm.  There were crew by all the elevators and they wouldn’t let you go to your rooms.  As we had hoped to just drop off the carryon as we have in the past. And it was for all passengers, we had a suite.  

We will see what happens on our next cruise. 

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Ours wasn’t cleared until around 1 pm.  There were crew by all the elevators and they wouldn’t let you go to your rooms.  As we had hoped to just drop off the carryon as we have in the past. And it was for all passengers, we had a suite.  

We will see what happens on our next cruise. 

Interesting!  Hasn’t happened to us except in the case of a deep cleaning (Noro) but our boarding was delayed so cabins were ready when we got on board.

What ship was this please bennybear?  Just curious as this is an anomaly I would like to think.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bennybear said:

The  Westerdam,   First time we have encountered it too.   Not aware of any Noro.

Thanks.  

Must have been something going on.  At least, I hope that was the case.

• Like 1