Coastal Kitchen?

5 minutes ago, janazaz said:

I keep seeing Coastal Kitchen mentioned. It’s been more than a few years since we’ve cruised and since I have been reading these boards. So, what is the CK all about?

Specialty restaurant restricted to suite guests and Pinnacle C&A members. 

4 minutes ago, janazaz said:

Thanks, Host Clarea. Is that GS and up? Guess I could look it up but thanks anyway. 

GS and up for breakfast and lunch.  JS and up for dinner.  Pinnacle for all meals.

4 minutes ago, janazaz said:

One last question, what’s so special about it that it’s reserved for certain cruisers?

It has excellent service and made to order meals in a much less hectic environment than the MDR.

• Like 2

On 5/26/2019 at 11:49 PM, janazaz said:

One last question, what’s so special about it that it’s reserved for certain cruisers?

And the view is awesome and it is very relaxing!!!

• Like 1

We have a voucher from our TA for one specialty dinner.  We are in JS on Allure, would Coastal Kitchen be a good alternative for dining in the MDR or should we get more specialty dining?

6 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

We have a voucher from our TA for one specialty dinner.  We are in JS on Allure, would Coastal Kitchen be a good alternative for dining in the MDR or should we get more specialty dining?

I'd be happy with Coastal Kitchen for dinner.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

Thanks, that's what we will do!

In a JS you have lowest priority for CK.  Availability will depend how many pinnacles on your sailing.  The number of suite guests tends to be somewhat consistent but if there are large pinnacle numbers on your sailing they get priority over JS guests and you may find you can only eat at CK once or twice.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, twangster said:

In a JS you have lowest priority for CK.  Availability will depend how many pinnacles on your sailing.  The number of suite guests tends to be somewhat consistent but if there are large pinnacle numbers on your sailing they get priority over JS guests and you may find you can only eat at CK once or twice.  

Good to know.  I will try to make reservations if possible.

41 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

There is no charge for CK, so use your voucher for one of the pay restaurants. You can have dinner in CK for free as long as there is space available. If space is not available, having a voucher won’t help. 

• Like 1

I don't find the food that exciting, it is better in the specialty restaurants.

However, it is a much nicer environment to eat breakfast and things get made fresh, so I usually use it for that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alistairg said:

I don't find the food that exciting, it is better in the specialty restaurants.

However, it is a much nicer environment to eat breakfast and things get made fresh, so I usually use it for that.

I agree with you.  I find the Coastal Kitchen fairly average for dinner.  The notable exception is the filet, which is excellent.  Other than that, I prefer the specialties for dinner.  You can’t beat the CK for breakfast though.  Quiet, leisurely good breakfast.  Hands down beats the MDR and certainly better than the WJ. Oasis class has a beautiful view.  Q class, not so much.

3 hours ago, twangster said:

In my experience, it's a total crap shoot with the exception of a TA or a yearly voyage like President's cruise/50th birthday Bash.  The number of full suite passengers alone exceed the capacity of CK along with the other JS guests.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

In my experience, it's a total crap shoot with the exception of a TA or a yearly voyage like President's cruise/50th birthday Bash.  The number of full suite passengers alone exceed the capacity of CK along with the other JS guests.

Oasis in November.  I was able to use CK twice both at 8pm.  No other time slots available.  

Wasn’t a TA or president cruise.  

CK was designed around Sea, Sky and Star class. Pinnacles are the only variable.  With growing numbers of Pinnacles for a Florida based ship a JS guest is facing dwindling CK availability.  

Edited by twangster
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Oasis in November.  I was able to use CK twice both at 8pm.  No other time slots available.  

Wasn’t a TA or president cruise.  

CK was designed around Sea, Sky and Star class. Pinnacles are the only variable.  With growing numbers of Pinnacles for a Florida based ship a JS guest is facing dwindling CK availability.  

I think you were on the same week as Laura. 

She could not get a slot either. So much for Pinnacle getting preferred slots.

CK was designed for Dynamic Dining.  Only two menus. They didnt plan on folks eating every meal there.  Now a victim of it's own success. But that's beside the point.

The issue in my opinion is that there are 79 Sky Class, 11 Star Class, and 86 Sea Class. That alone is a recipe for failure.  Based on occupancy rates, I'd guess that equals 550+ eligible diners in a venue that barely holds 100. Even with three table turns, that's a problem.

Will 30 additional cabins with NSPP's impact that? Yes, but just don't say it is THE driving factor on a week to week basis.

The fact that you got to eat there twice is probably the new norm now that the word is out for the Suite Class guests.  

FWIW, I much prefer breakfast and lunch up there. Way less crowded. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Try and get the menus. Some nights are a dud

I've been trying to get current menus for Coastal Kitchen.  We are on the Harmony in Sep. in a JS.  Not much hope, but will try to book as soon as we get onboard.  Anyone have the current menus?  I loved the veal chop offered on the last night.  Still there?  I love lamb, DH loves duck.  Both love steak, scallops and lobster.  Working on a strategy. Any suggestions.  We don't care when we eat.  The later the better.  Will not do this again. At least a GS for us!!!  Thanks in advance.