On line check in photo required?

SSAtlantic

We are on Infinity in a month. I have completed our on line check-in a few weeks ago. Friends traveling with us are attempting to complete but are  being asked for photos. Is this new or is she doing something wrong? I believe Edge asks for photos but she said that is not what she did.

Thanks

26 minutes ago, SSAtlantic said:

We are on Infinity in a month. I have completed our on line check-in a few weeks ago. Friends traveling with us are attempting to complete but are  being asked for photos. Is this new or is she doing something wrong? I believe Edge asks for photos but she said that is not what she did.

Thanks

It was required to complete check in for our August cruise on Summit.

We were on Infinity about a month ago and part of the check in was uploading a photo.   We talked to a number of people who did not upload one and had to have one take on check in.  It is suppose to speed up the checkin process but not mandatory.

• Like 1

We spent a lot of time and effort uploading our photos for our recent Millennium cruise. At check in, they said they knew nothing about it and had to take our photos just like they always have. It may depend on your port of embarkation...(Ours was Oi terminal in Tokyo). I'd be curious to know if anyone has had success with this process (i.e. not have to have the photo re-taken and saved time at check in) and if so, what terminal/city did you embark?

We did checking for the Edge & uploaded photos.   Got to the port our express pass was scanned , went through Security and walked on the ship.  Sea Pass. Arcs we waiting outside our cabin.  Less than 15 minutes from exiting taxi to walking onto cabin.  

Just did checkin for the Summit and uploaded photos.  Printed bar coded xpress pass and instructions indicate sea pass cards will be at our cabin.  Makes embarkation a breeze.

1 hour ago, WestLakeGirl said:

Not required.  You don’t even have to chck in on line at all.  Do it all at the terminal.

Technically true so I will rephrase my original response.

It wasn’t required but we always complete check in online and show up with our Express Pass in hand. It was required when checking in in order to get their system to generate the Express Pass.

RCI has been doing this for years, starting with the Quantum class ships.  No big deal.  If the photo you upload isn't satisfactory, they'll take another one of you at the pier, just as they've did before the uploads.

13 hours ago, late2cruisin said:

We spent a lot of time and effort uploading our photos for our recent Millennium cruise. At check in, they said they knew nothing about it and had to take our photos just like they always have. It may depend on your port of embarkation...(Ours was Oi terminal in Tokyo). I'd be curious to know if anyone has had success with this process (i.e. not have to have the photo re-taken and saved time at check in) and if so, what terminal/city did you embark?

I did on the Infinity about 5 weeks ago.    We took our own picture (took a couple tries to get one the right scale).  They later updated the App to have head outline to assist.   We did not have to have a new picture taken on boarding and when I saw my card being scanned they photos I took were on the security screen.    In our case we were departing from Fort Lauderdale.

We just did them for the Millie for Aug. 2. However we didn't have the correct background (white) so I am sure they will need to retake them. It was required for us to keep going so  we just put a place holder in basically! 

They will take your picture in the Terminal or as you board the ship. You can take your picture with your computer camera. Just follow the directions as you do the express pass information. Not something you need to be concerned about.

9 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I did on the Infinity about 5 weeks ago.    We took our own picture (took a couple tries to get one the right scale).  They later updated the App to have head outline to assist.   We did not have to have a new picture taken on boarding and when I saw my card being scanned they photos I took were on the security screen.    In our case we were departing from Fort Lauderdale.

Yes, I think that's the key- you left from Ft. Lauderdale. Probably the larger terminals are set up for this, whereas the smaller ones aren't. That's understandable, but I wish they had told us that it wouldn't work at all terminals. I could have figured it out that a makeshift container port wouldn't be able to handle that and I could have saved myself some time...