can one switch dining choice from traditional to select during cruise?

moonjelly

Hi!

My experience with Princess is that if you have traditional dining at a set time and are not happy with the assigned table mates or the assigned waiter, you can switch to anytime dining, but then cannot switch back.

Is this also true on Celebrity, where if you have assigned late seating dinner and you are not happy with it for some reason, can you switch to Celebrity Select Dining during the cruise?

I do not anticipate that my friends will have any trouble with their assigned late dining, but I want to know if they have this option should something be amiss and they do not like it.

This is for Celebrity Solstice, Alaska.

Thank you,

Julie

Edited by moonjelly

They can request to be switched to another table in traditional dining and that is probably easier.  They can ask the MaitreD if they can move to Select and they will do there best to accommodate them if space is available.

Select is usually over subscribed.

Changes can often be made on the first afternoon after embarkation, but I doubt that a change can be made part way through a cruise.

There are other options of course, Speciality restaurants and the Self Service (Ocean View cafe and bar) on deck 14. We have never done either, as we have always been happy in MDR.

Edited by upwarduk

The staff on board will do their very best to make customers happy. If someone in traditional dining is truly unhappy with their assignment, they will try to move them to another table, to another seating time, or to select dining, although since that is often over sold they prefer her not to make that change but will do so if necessary.

This is one of the reasons we no longer cruise on Princess.  They do allow their Traditional dining people to switch to Anytime.  

By the end of the cruise the traditional dining room is empty and there are long lines for Anytime (or Personal Choice, or whatever they call it).

10 hours ago, moonjelly said:

Hi!

My experience with Princess is that if you have traditional dining at a set time and are not happy with the assigned table mates or the assigned waiter, you can switch to anytime dining, but then cannot switch back.

Is this also true on Celebrity, where if you have assigned late seating dinner and you are not happy with it for some reason, can you switch to Celebrity Select Dining during the cruise?

I do not anticipate that my friends will have any trouble with their assigned late dining, but I want to know if they have this option should something be amiss and they do not like it.

This is for Celebrity Solstice, Alaska.

Thank you,

Julie

Our first five Celebrity cruises, we had fixed early dining.  Worked out well with great stablemates.   Then cruise number 6 we had a disaster.  The one couple we liked moved to another table after one night, we hung on for another night and asked to go to another table.  That worked out fairly well.  Cruise number 7 we had another disaster and asked too move to Select Dining.  They moved us and every since then we go Select.  Typically we meet cruise mates that we met on other cruises or at the meet and greet or elite happy hour and go to dinner when we want.

Short:  Go on X's website  (bookmark the sailing page) do a fake booking daily, if the option for select dining appears call X and ask to change to select.  Cancellations/Upgrades can happen at anytime.

Long:  I'm sailing for the time on X today and will be on the Solstice.  Despite originally being booked in an inside cabin for late dining and wait listed for select, I saw that OV opened up and was only $100/per person more so I called to upgrade, I was told upon booking that select dining was available and took it.  I inquired about if I didn't upgrade, would I automatically be changed to select or was it cabin category specific and was told they weren't sure but believed it was done on the ship.  Personally I'd rather get it all done before I board.

On our last cruise our friends switched from Traditional early to Select. They were travelling with another couple who had to cancel due to health issues the day of the cruise embarkation. They went to GS and the MDR maître d immediately upon embarkation and asked to be switched to Select. The change was made without issue. That was in December on Silhouette.

On past B2B onboard the Silhouette, in the first leg we was very happy with out table-mates (2), waiter, location, etc. So we ask to the MaitreD if for the next leg we can be with the same waiters, no problem. The first night of the 2nd leg our new table-mates never answer to our welcome hello, etc. so we ask to be changed to another table at the same time. The MDR was full but no problem, we was happy with our new table and friends.