Venice Hotel Recommendations

caral2004

There are numerous hotels there, but without knowing how much you want to spend it's difficult to know what to recommend. The Danieli, for instance, is about $800 USD per night right now, but there are certainly cheaper options.

21 hours ago, Langoustine said:

There are numerous hotels there, but without knowing how much you want to spend it's difficult to know what to recommend. The Danieli, for instance, is about $800 USD per night right now, but there are certainly cheaper options.

800 $ per night! Too expensive for me

If you can easily manage your luggage, you can stay just about anywhere in Venice.  Depends on your budget and requirements.

If you can't manage your luggage,  it might be easier to stay near Piazzale Roma or near an Alilaguna stop in order to avoid bridges and uneven surfaces.

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/venice-warning.htm

17 hours ago, caral2004 said:

800 $ per night! Too expensive for me

Hi there,

Try booking.com and search for a place that is within your budget. We found a nice hotel not far from the Grand Canal in the Cannaregio neighbourhood. It is within walking distance of the Rialto Bridge and other sight seeing places. When is your cruise?

https://www.wanderingitaly.com/maps/venice.html

Let me know if I can be of any more assistance.

Angela

You might want to look into Rialto Hotel. We have booked there in June specifically because mot only it is a great location, but the water taxi will bring us practically to the front door since it’s entrance is on grand canal.  Don’t want to bother with dragging luggage , there were other options in price range like Hotel Concordia near st marks square and hotel Gabrielle which required some dragging of luggage.  

• 2 weeks later...

Stayed at Hotel Al Duca in Santa Croce neighborhood this past September. A beautiful hotel with a fabulous breakfast. Very close to the San Stae Vaparetto stop and in a lovely local area with a small grocery stores, wine shops restaurants and a 15 minute walk to the Rialto. I loved this hotel. Check it out on Tripadvisor.

Hello there fellow cruisers!

We cruised from Barcelona to Venice and stayed a few nights in Venice before going home. Venice itself was far too expensive for us after a month in UK and a 2 week cruise! We had the most wonderful experience staying just across the bridge on the mainland in Mestre. The hotel has a shuttle(limited)to town, so we spent most of our days exploring Venice followed by some lovely evenings strolling around the neighbourhood near the hotel. We found some beautiful gathering places where the locals hang out as well as charming restaurants all walking distance to the hotel. It was also simpler to get a taxi to the airport(closer) from our hotel..which was very nice and comfortable. Here's a link to explore https://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/us/en/venice/vcerr/hoteldetail?cm_mmc=GoogleMaps-_-HI-_-IT-_-VCERR

cheers!

Edited by vicchick
punctuation
  • Like 1

Orbitz lists about 2,500 hotels and rental properties in Venice (and the immediate area).  You can likely find somebody to support most of those places.  We could be like others and post our own favorites but it is not relevant to the OP.  So, I will ask a series of questions of the OP which might help us narrow down the good options.  1.  Can you easily handle your own luggage for long walks, going over foot bridges, etc?  2.  Are you completely mobile (have the ability to walk) or do you have limitations?   3.  What is your budget?  4.   What do you rate as more important,  Convenient location or great views.  and 5.  How picky are you about quality?  I could add other questions such as do you demand a Queen/King bed, do you want included breakfast, must you have an elevator or can you handle steps with a smile, etc.  

And since at least one poster suggested Mestre, another important question is whether or not you insist on staying in Venice....or if you would be happy a few miles outside of town (where you can get a train or bus connection into Venice?)

Hank

19 hours ago, vicchick said:

We cruised from Barcelona to Venice and stayed a few nights in Venice before going home. Venice itself was far too expensive for us after a month in UK and a 2 week cruise! We had the most wonderful experience staying just across the bridge on the mainland in Mestre. The hotel has a shuttle(limited)to town, so we spent most of our days exploring Venice followed by some lovely evenings strolling around the neighbourhood near the hotel. We found some beautiful gathering places where the locals hang out as well as charming restaurants all walking distance to the hotel. It was also simpler to get a taxi to the airport(closer) from our hotel..which was very nice and comfortable. Here's a link to explore https://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/us/en/venice/vcerr/hoteldetail?cm_mmc=GoogleMaps-_-HI-_-IT-_-VCERR

cheers!

We finish our cruise in Venice as well, 5am to be exact.  I like your idea of the Holiday Inn, would they allow you to keep your luggage before check in time? Did it cost you to shuttle each way to the city? It states a $9 fee, was that what you paid each way, each time?

I don't remember exactly what the shuttle fee was, but it is not very frequent; we did use taxis a couple of times. We did have to wait until the appointed check in time - no early option offered. If you are ready to hit the ground running, I would look for a lugguage storage near the sights and head over the bridge when you are ready to wind down😓 This link might help you find options:http://www.reidsitaly.com/destinations/veneto/venice/planning/to_by_ship.html

Hope this helps. Caio!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, aaalynn1 said:

We finish our cruise in Venice as well, 5am to be exact.  I like your idea of the Holiday Inn, would they allow you to keep your luggage before check in time? Did it cost you to shuttle each way to the city? It states a $9 fee, was that what you paid each way, each time?

If you prefer to stay in Mestre/Marghera there are closer hotels than the Holiday Inn.  If you stay near the Mestre train station you can easily catch the public bus or the train into Venice;  they run frequently, less than 10 minutes ride, under 5E.   This article has info on Mestre and Marghera hotels.  Be sure to check that their location is near the train station for easy access to train/bus.

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/mestre/mestre-hotels.htm

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I stayed at The Bauer Palazzo last summer...…..pricey but really lovely.:classic_smile:  I am going to Venice again in October and will be researching once again.   I travel solo and dragging my luggage is not part of my plan:classic_biggrin:...(but that is just me).

I just want to toss out a personal observation.  We have spent around 4 decades traveling (extensively) in Western Europe on both cruises and many DIY extended driving trips.  DW and I spend a lot of time considering where we want to stay based on many personal factors such as handling our own luggage, parking (when we have a car), price, convenience, neighborhood, etc.  We generally do not like to generically recommend hotels because everyone has their own priorities, budget, and other issues that can impact what hotel best fits their own wants.  For example, when it comes to Venice there is absolutely no way we would stay out at Mestre...but we do understand why that town suits other folks.  In Venice we would love to stay at a place like the Cipriani, but there is no way we are going to spend that kind of money on a hotel (personal preference).  One of our favorite pre-cruise hotels in Venice is near the top of our list because it is conveniently located in the Piazale Roma...but that little place has no elevator and would not suit many passengers looking for a more modern hotel.  Others would prefer a hotel in the vicinity of St Marks Square which is one of the last neighborhoods DW and I would choose for a pre or post cruise hotel.  There is no right or wrong...but all about what pleases you!

So my advice to those looking for  Venice hotel recommendations is to carefully consider your own wants and budget.  Also give a lot of consideration to whether you can easily handle your own luggage, climb up steps, etc.   Also keep in mind that Venice is a city that can be walked and it also has the excellent Vaporetto (water bus) system.  If you stay close to a vaporetto stop it is easy to get around to other places in the city or go out to any of the islands (Murano, Burano, Torcello, Lido, etc) in the lagoon.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/19/2019 at 12:50 AM, vicchick said:

cheers!

Must disagree with the above suggestion.

Venice is most beautiful in the evening after all the day trippers leave.  St. Marks at night is an unforgettable experience with the cafe orchestras playing and everything lit so beautifully.  If only staying a few days, please pay the premium to stay in Venice and experience it.  Otherwise you just see Venice with the mobs and wonder why so many of us love Venice.  

• Like 4

The conversations above are one reason why it is difficult to suggest a hotel that will suit someone else. 

Everyone has a sort of sliding list of priorities, and my priorities may not be the same as yours. It would be so helpful when folks ask for hotel suggestions if they would provide a price range and also an idea of what is important to them -- e.g., do you want to be in the center of things and walking distance to major sites? Do you need absolute quiet?  Is room size important?  (In Italy, most hotel rooms are not large unless you upgrade...)  Is an included breakfast important?  Do you want modern or do you like a classic hotel feeling?

Also in Venice it's important to consider how able you are to get around with your luggage. Bringing anything much larger than a large carry-on becomes a (literal) drag when you have to go up and down several stepped bridges or get on and off the crowded vaporetti.  There are a couple of locations that are less of a pain, but also somewhat less scenic. I had to research a long time before I found a hotel that suited us....

My own travel "mode" is to stay in a local hotel (not a chain) in the heart of whatever city or town I am in. I like to be able to walk around on my own, so a central (and safe) area is a must.  Venice isn't the only city where the atmosphere becomes much more pleasant later in the evening after day-trippers have left, or early in the morning before they arrive. I like to take advantage of those times for photos and just walking around, enjoying the sites without the noise and crowds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just a few words about Mestre, which has been mentioned is some previous posts.  Mestre is NOT Venice!  Mestre is a relatively small city on the mainland a few miles from the causeway that leads to Venice.  Mestre is a popular hotel/motel area for the lower price land tours because there is parking for their buses and the facilities are generally less expensive then in Venice.   We compare staying in Mestre to staying in Newark...for those visiting NYC!

What Mestre does offer is pretty decent transportation (via train or bus) to nearby Venice.  But when we wake up in our Venice hotel (or Inn) we walk out the door (or look out the window) and are in Venice.  When you wake up in Mestre you are not in Venice, do not see the canals, and do not have the atmosphere.  For that you would have to go to the train station and take the train...or get on a regional bus.

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a few questions as well. Although this post has helped me some, Im still not sure where to stay.  We disembark in the morning and are staying in Venice for two days.  I think I will take your advice and stay somewhere in Venice that is on a canal and the atmosphere is traditional or vintage. Would the hotel be able to hold our luggage while we explore during the day? Do most hotels provide a water taxi to the airport?

We think we will do our own thing and just get lost in the city. Walking, taking gondola rides, getting gelato, searching for the best coffee and finding a romantic dinner place. Not wanting to spend a fortune, but hope to find something priced around 150-180. 

• 1 month later...