Drinking age of ships departing USA

5 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

You are correct, the RCI policy is dictated exclusively by embarkation port. 

Thanks. But what about the cruise after mine...from Vancouver to Honolulu. I thought the drinking age would still be 21. 

And it would seem the cruise after that (Honolulu to Australia) would be 18 (Australia’s legal age is 18). 

2 minutes ago, LadyBeBop said:

Thanks. But what about the cruise after mine...from Vancouver to Honolulu. I thought the drinking age would still be 21. 

And it would seem the cruise after that (Honolulu to Australia) would be 18 (Australia’s legal age is 18). 

No, both of those itineraries would be 21 years old to drink on board.

If it was Australia to Honolulu to would be 18

6 hours ago, Palmetto Pilot said:

does Royal not too the beer/wine waiver anymore? 

6 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Not for a LONG time 

I can tell you "when".  My son is 31, and the  change happened RIGHT BEFORE he turned 18.  He was SEETHING.  LOL

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

I thought repos which end up in the US were limited to 21.

Not unless there has been a recent change.  It was always dependent on the embarkation port in the past (embarks in North America then it is 21, embarks in Europe or Australia then it is 18---I am not sure about Asia).  

Had recent (a year ago) experience with a kid in those middle years being able to drink heading west but not east on TAs

Edited by xxHadleyxx

((that said, even heading east this spring with one who was 20, waiters all TA offered wine to all three of us at dinner when pouring from bottles we bought.  German raised young man sitting with his family at dinner or in the lounge?  No one cared.  Had he been out with friends instead of parents might have been a different story.  In all honesty we had forgotten that he was technically not supposed to drink on that itinerary until partway through---we're used to mostly sailing where he can, and it is 16 for beer and wine where we live, so it had kind of fallen off our radar until someone else pointed it out seeing him having a beer in the lounge--oops)

2 hours ago, LadyBeBop said:

It is all departures from North American ports not departures from US ports that have the drinking age set at 21.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SRF said:

Heck, most Caribbean islands (or nearly so) the drinking age is based on if you are tall enough to get the money on the counter and grab the bottle. 😄

Agree and add Mexico to that list. 

I think NCL is the only major cruise line that still has the beer/wine waiver for cruises departing from the U.S.

Our university aged kids educated us to that fact a few years ago. They said screw the flow rider and ice rinks - get me a beer! 😄🍻