Anthem vs. Oasis

We're thinking of doing a family group trip with 10 people and because of the cost, we would have to drive to the port at Cape Liberty to sail on Anthem rather than flying to Florida to sail on Oasis.  I emailed RCI and asked if Oasis would still be sailing out of Cape Liberty in 2021 and they said in November of 2020 Oasis is moving permanently to Florida. We really like the Oasis class ships because of the many activities and amenities available.  Would we notice a huge difference between these two ships as far as size and available activities?  Is there anything you prefer on Anthem as opposed to Oasis?  Our group would have an age range of 3 years old up to 65 years old.  

We just returned from a large family group trip on Anthem, and there was never any shortage of activities! (Ages from 0 to 80.) We were glad to have sailed on Anthem -- have been wanting to try out that class and were thrilled not to have to fly to port. Really enjoyed activities such as the Escape Room, iFly, North Star, and bumper cars, as well as all the specialty dining. That being said, we decided we generally prefer Oasis, mostly for the wide open spaces, eg, Central Park and the Promenade. However, I'd say definitely go try out Anthem -- beautiful ship and great staff/service.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sun Lover said:

Would we notice a huge difference between these two ships as far as size and available activities?  

Size, maybe, activities less so in numbers, but different kinds (like roller skating vs. ice skating). 

I was on anthem last month and just got off allure. Here is my comparison- There are less things to do on anthem, but anthem has ifly and that is a great experience. North Star is one and done for us. The service and shows were better on allure than anthem. The app and internet worked better on anthem. Anthem has 270 and music hall which are both exceptional venues.  You didn’t mention ages, but I can’t imagine a group of 10

not finding enough to do on anthem- especially if you save some serious cash by driving. 

• Like 1

I have reservations on both Anthem and Oasis next spring, so I understand the dilemma. I can't do both, so I will have to pick. 

When are you going? Oasis is getting an extensive dry dock this fall--Music Hall, an escape room, water slides, BBQ and lots more. 

Port Liberty would be an easier (cheaper) departure port for me as well, but if I can find reasonable flights to Miami, I'll probably choose Oasis. Being on the largest class of cruise ship in the world tips the scales for me. Also, since spring is still cold in the Atlantic, the first and last cruise days would be indoors on Anthem.

We (boyfriend, myself and my parents) cruised Anthem late Dec into Jan 2019 out of Cape Liberty. Loved everything about the ship, enough that we had booked again for 11 nights on Anthem for this coming Jan. A change in work schedule made us have to change itineraries and we are now cruising Oasis in Jan out of Miami. Bummed we have to worry about flights to get to Miami now instead of just driving right to NJ from CT but we are all really excited to try an Oasis class ship.

I'd be curious to hear opinions from anyone who has done both. Likes/dislikes/comparisons.

Anthem was great. Lots to do and ports of call were also good. Shows were ok... The Gift was below average, hard to follow and really just not interesting. We will rock you was awesome. Comedians were good.

Looking forward to Oasis, especially after her Royal Amplification this fall.

Well my 1st Oasis-class cruise is coming up in 42 days on Harmony so I can’t yet give you first hand info. But I took my family on Anthem for Christmas; it was a mix of kids, millennials and grandparents and it was absolutely magical. There will be no shortage of things to do. And this was with missing the highlight of the cruise: Christmas Day on CoCo Cay—had rented cabana and reserved several excursions—couldn’t tender. I am sure I will love Harmony but I don’t think you will be “settling” with Anthem.

We have sailed Oasis class 8 times(3 Oasis, 3 Allure, 1 Harmony, 1 Symphony) and Anthem once. We greatly prefer Oasis class, and probably won't go on Quantum class again.

Our big likes on Oasis Class: the shows, especially the Aqua show,  ice skating show, and comedy club; the variety of  non-paid restaurants, including Park Cafe and Solarium Bistro; and the wide open spaces such as Central Park and Boardwalk.

We preferred the variety of music choices, with a special love for Jazz on 4 and the music in Central Park.

We did not care for the shows on Anthem, nor did we like the traffic flow on the main level of Anthem.

Our experience in MTD was not good on Anthem, with waits that were long. We did love the Windjammer on Anthem.

These are just opinions--mine may be very different than some, but we have another Harmony cruise booked, and expect to enjoy it  for all the same reasons that our previous Oasis class cruises were enjoyed.

Whichever you choose, a cruise is great fun for a family group. Enjoy!

Barb

We sailed the Oasis in January and have been on Quantum and Anthem.  Love Quantum class.  Not so Oasis.  wj on Oasis too small, no made to order omelets (took us 3 days to find them).  Even had to wait on line once to get in!  On Anthen there are 3 pool areas, 2 indoor ones, adult solarium and indoor family pool as well as regular outdoor pool. Don't forget bumper cars!  Area also converts to roller skating,  basketball,  and trapeze lessons.  We're booked on Anthem for b2b in October.   Won't say we won't sail an Oasis ship again but not my first choice.

We have been on both classes of ships and love both! Would not hesitate to go on either class.  We really liked We Will Rock You and the bumper cars were a neat novelty at sea.  We loved the ifly and did it several times.  We were on a 9 night though so repeated times may not always be an option.  We were allowed to make the first reservation prior to boarding , another reservation onboard after going the first time then flying stand by after that.  The option of the indoor pool was nice too, both for rainy days and for my very fair skinned daughter who burns easily. If we were close to NJ would do Anthem again in a heartbeat!!

If you want to cruise on an oasis class ship, is there a reason you have not considered the other ships in same class?   While oasis is a great ship, it would my last choice, based on shows. We have been on all oasis class ships with 3 cruises on oasis.  We did our 2nd and 3rd cruise on oasis based on cheapest price on the week we could cruise. 

Edited by maggieq

We have been on both Oasis (2 times) and then we tried Anthem and have no desire to go back to Oasis class.  The aqua show, however was unbelieveable, but we really prefer Anthem.  The bumper cars are fun, the iFly was such a hit that husband and son are now going to land iFly locations.  Escape room is fun, roller skating not so much, and the trapeze is interesting.  Overall the Anthem is smaller but we did not really mind the smaller ship.  That being said, if I could get back in an A1 I would be on Oasis class in a heartbeat.  The best suite there is on any ship.  Hope you enjoy your cruise regardless of which one you choose.

Thanks for all the replies, they're really helpful.  Another question I have is I know on the Oasis class ships they use the sports area for a variety of sports, such as basketball, volleyball, dodge ball and soccer.  Do they only have basketball and roller skating on Anthem?  It looks like their sports area is all indoors.  Is it air conditioned?

I have been on both and prefer Oasis. While Anthem was nice, I felt there was still more to do on Oasis. I also liked the promenade better on Oasis. The promenade on Anthem was much shorter and closed in feeling. I like the outside area of the Boardwalk, the outdoor water show  and and Central Park on Oasis. I've been on 15 ships and nothing compares to Oasis for me, still my favorite ship.

• 2 weeks later...

I love having a Promenade!  Just to sit and have a coffee and people watch!  

I have been on both ships and I really liked the Oasis better.   I just booked the Oasis for May 2020 when I found out it was coming to NJ. (close to me)  Whereas I was never in any rush to book the Anthem in NJ again. 

Both ships are beautiful but I just liked the Oasis better.