Sad and frustrated and I haven’t even left!

BA5

16 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Absolutely.  I loved it. 

Ha!!! Any photos or video you'd like to share? 😜

4 hours ago, twangster said:

Few North Star reservations are offered pre-cruise so they tend to go quickly.  The majority of reserved times are available for booking on board only.

+1.... this above.

A lot of folks here are adding their opinions/experiences on Anthem, however Anthem has nothing to do with Ovation whatsoever and how Ovation runs their ship/activities(and cruise planner) so far. It's been a work in progress since Ovation finally came to North America for the first time only 2 months ago.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, orville99 said:

Cool, a surf simulator that makes its own icebergs. Last time we were on an Alaskan cruise, the outdoor temperature never hit 70 degrees.:classic_ohmy:

Last year the highs were 85F when I was there with no rain.  A wet suit could be in order for some, like Orlando residents.;)

5 hours ago, Biker19 said:

But riding the Flowrider as you sail away from the Dawes glacier would be awesome.

Heck ya.

2 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

+1.... this above.

A lot of folks here are adding their opinions/experiences on Anthem, however Anthem has nothing to do with Ovation whatsoever and how Ovation runs their ship/activities(and cruise planner) so far. It's been a work in progress since Ovation finally came to North America for the first time only 2 months ago.

Yeah, the Ovation is a completely different puppy, and if it was magically switched with Anthem the people from NY/NJ/ and surrounding areas, would eat them for lunch.  

JC

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, BA5 said:

I am booked for the July 26 Alaska-Ovation of the Seas and have been religiously checking for Northstar and Ifly reservation on the website. Someone in my roll call told me to call and when I did, I was told that they are both booked up and absolutely no chance on going on either one except when I board, I can hope that someone cancels. What is the use of paying significant money for a cruise on a big, beautiful ship and no chance to use anything it offers. My boys will be so very disappointed. 

You can book on board.  Do it as soon as you board.  If the process is like on the Anthem, go to 2X70 and there are many kiosks and live staff to take any type of reservations.  We have been told many times that at least 25% of activities are reserved for on board  bookings.  Also, an OP on CC board mentioned  that I-fly can only be booked on board.

BA5...you'll be fine and your kids will have a blast.

We were on the Ovation and it was definitely built for Alaska....and children in mind.

The staff inside the IFly are nice and will accommodate you...we were able to try it more than once on the Ovation simply because others didn't show up.  Happy Sailing!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

The staff inside the IFly are nice and will accommodate you...we were able to try it more than once on the Ovation simply because others didn't show up. 

My experience and most recent reporting would indicate that you got real lucky - the answer most of the time is no.

18 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

+1.... this above.

How is it different?

(the only pic I have is an "after" photo - the helmet has air vents, and my hair was pulled out through those vents, and stuck like that after I removed the helmet.  😁)

On 6/26/2019 at 9:40 PM, 2ManyCruises said:

We’re onboard Ovation now. I can tell you that there were plenty of openings for both when we reserved as soon as we boarded.

As Bob said there’s Alaska. Ifly and Northstar didn’t seem important at all once we experienced the beauty of Alaska for the 4th time. 

Where exactly did you go to reserve them? Making my list of what to do as soon as I board. Thanks

13 minutes ago, kyrie said:

Where exactly did you go to reserve them? Making my list of what to do as soon as I board. Thanks

See my post #29.  The process of booking on board should be the same.

3 hours ago, fredflint said:

there are land based places that do iFLY I would look at more unique stuff like the flowrider

I think there are more flowriders off the ships than there are Ifly’s and flowriders are far cheaper to do off the ship than the Ifly.

jc<—— who has done IFly on land.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

How is it different?

From what I've read on Anthem reviews, you can prebook on the cruise planner etc., there's a standby line at the venue for those who don't book, etc

So far Ovation has been booking only once you get on board... and then a few saying they were able to book on the cruise planner.... and then others on different sailings saying they can't. No standby line.... so far? Looks like a work in progress

5 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

(the only pic I have is an "after" photo - the helmet has air vents, and my hair was pulled out through those vents, and stuck like that after I removed the helmet.  😁)

Haha!! Brilliant 😀

5 hours ago, Biker19 said:

My experience and most recent reporting would indicate that you got real lucky - the answer most of the time is no.

One of the sports staff whom I had already chatted up in SeaPlex for Roller Skating and Circus School was behind the IFly desk. So I was friendly and chatty with him. Even with a good rapport, there was an absolute "no" when I asked about a second booking or even a standby if someone didn't show up. I asked three times in different ways during our friendly chat... "absolutely no" was the definitive answer... a directive/policy they were given. Will that change next week? Probably... it's RCL we're talking about here

I thought the IFly and Northstar are reserved in your cruise planner online just like MTD or BOGO 2 Night Dining. For instance I booked us on the BOGO 2 Night package for our upcoming cruise but now its gone. The same for MTD I booked my time but now its gone as its first come first served as are shore excursions. 

When the Cruise Planner opens up  I book everything that I want to knowing that I can cancel it up to 48 hours before sailing.

The OP is upset that they did not book it soon enough. Royal Caribbean holds back x amount of spots for the Ifly and Northstar and cannot guarantee that the OP will be able to experience  these amenities.  The same goes for shows on the larger ships. So for the OP to say that they are sad sure I would be sad that I did not book it sooner but I would be onboard early and going to the proper desk to see about booking times.

Do note that DIamond and above members get priority waitlist for shore excursions and perhaps onboard reservations so perhaps they would have priority over the OP but the sooner you get on the ball you may just get lucky. Sending you Pixie Dust! Lets hope you get what you want!

2 minutes ago, travelplus said:

I thought the IFly and Northstar are reserved in your cruise planner online just like MTD or BOGO 2 Night Dining. 

True, but IF they show up at all (sometimes they never show up) it's probably for a short time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, travelplus said:

I thought the IFly and Northstar are reserved in your cruise planner online just like MTD or BOGO 2 Night Dining. For instance I booked us on the BOGO 2 Night package for our upcoming cruise but now its gone. The same for MTD I booked my time but now its gone as its first come first served as are shore excursions. 

When the Cruise Planner opens up  I book everything that I want to knowing that I can cancel it up to 48 hours before sailing.

On Ovation iFly and Northstar are not in the cruise planner when it opens up.  There is no way to predict which day it will be.  I have checked my cruise planner every single day for the last six months. The day Northstar came up. I had checked around 9:00am and it wasn’t there.  At 3:00 I saw on another social media site that people were booking it.  I did get a reservation but there were few left and by the next day they were gone. So if I was at a job all day and couldn’t get back on I probably would have missed it. A few people from other weeks have seen iFly but the consensus is that you have to reserve onboard. It has never showed up for me. 

Yes, the OP and our family will probably get to do these but we won’t know until the cruise. It is frustrating that Royal promotes all the fun activities but can’t actually meet the demand so that everyone who would like to try them can. 

• Thanks 1

On our Ovation Roll call it was in the roll call within a few minutes anytime something opened up (pixels, Northstar, Ifly). I was subscribed to the roll cl with instant email so I could go from work PC. I do know they close at 72 hours prior to sailing and Northstar showed up about 80-96 hours before sailing and then it closed at 5pm 72 hours before sailing.

3 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

One of the sports staff whom I had already chatted up in SeaPlex for Roller Skating and Circus School was behind the IFly desk. So I was friendly and chatty with him. Even with a good rapport, there was an absolute "no" when I asked about a second booking or even a standby if someone didn't show up. I asked three times in different ways during our friendly chat... "absolutely no" was the definitive answer... a directive/policy they were given. Will that change next week? Probably... it's RCL we're talking about here

That was my experience.  On the Anthem in 2016, we made 5 or 6 flights on a 9 day cruise, one booked pre-cruise.  On the Ovation in 2017, we made three flights on 16 day cruise, one booked pre cruise. On the Ovation 2019 on a 16 day cruise we got two flights, one booked pre-cruise.  Since I spent hours on the flowrider, it was shocking how often they had groups of 3 to 5, and how many flights the instructors and staff took.  Truly, a different world from the Anthem....

jc

1 hour ago, AlanF65 said:

On our Ovation Roll call it was in the roll call within a few minutes anytime something opened up (pixels, Northstar, Ifly). I was subscribed to the roll cl with instant email so I could go from work PC. I do know they close at 72 hours prior to sailing and Northstar showed up about 80-96 hours before sailing and then it closed at 5pm 72 hours before sailing.

I noticed today every thing (Ifly, Northstar, sushi making, etc)was on our planner with a “book on board”-I assume that means no more pre-cruise scheduling. I will be ready when I board!

4 hours ago, er345 said:

On Ovation iFly and Northstar are not in the cruise planner when it opens up.  There is no way to predict which day it will be.  I have checked my cruise planner every single day for the last six months. The day Northstar came up. I had checked around 9:00am and it wasn’t there.  At 3:00 I saw on another social media site that people were booking it.  I did get a reservation but there were few left and by the next day they were gone. So if I was at a job all day and couldn’t get back on I probably would have missed it. A few people from other weeks have seen iFly but the consensus is that you have to reserve onboard. It has never showed up for me. 

Yes, the OP and our family will probably get to do these but we won’t know until the cruise. It is frustrating that Royal promotes all the fun activities but can’t actually meet the demand so that everyone who would like to try them can. 

Exactly!

4 hours ago, travelplus said:

The OP is upset that they did not book it soon enough. Royal Caribbean holds back x amount of spots for the Ifly and Northstar and cannot guarantee that the OP will be able to experience  these amenities.  The same goes for shows on the larger ships. So for the OP to say that they are sad sure I would be sad that I did not book it sooner but I would be onboard early and going to the proper desk to see about booking times.

Do note that DIamond and above members get priority waitlist for shore excursions and perhaps onboard reservations so perhaps they would have priority over the OP but the sooner you get on the ball you may just get lucky. Sending you Pixie Dust! Lets hope you get what you want!

I watched for it from the get go and it wasn’t available. When it was, it was for a party of one. Sounds like you are making me out to be a slacker and I am not. Actually, I work as a nurse. I am sure people appreciate that I am paying attention to their needs versus checking my cruise planner. Smh. I really just want Ifly for my kids. 

2 hours ago, BA5 said:

I watched for it from the get go and it wasn’t available. When it was, it was for a party of one. Sounds like you are making me out to be a slacker and I am not. Actually, I work as a nurse. I am sure people appreciate that I am paying attention to their needs versus checking my cruise planner. Smh. I really just want Ifly for my kids. 

Not sure if you bought  a zoom package but the Key has priority ifly and north star. It was on sale as low as 19.95 for our sailing, not sure when you are leaving but the benefits are early on and off the boat which may help at the port, the Lunch at Chops  and carry on drop off to your room. Its not the best solution but it would guarantee availability. If I had had the Key I would have been off early, made my flight and saved about $500 in changed flight and other costs for being late.

I think on our cruise everyone that wanted on got on but we had more seas days and more port days. You could look at the key and see if makes sense, then cancel 4 days out if ifly reservations pop open.

Its a beautiful ship with lots to do and if you are persistent I think you will get on. Maybe if you come back from an excursion between when you get back and dinner it might be open

The enormity of the the inside passage when you head south out of Dawes glacier you can see coast line with snow capped mountains  for hundreds of miles  on both sides of the ship and to the aft.

Best of luck and hope you enjoy your cruise. Alaska is majestic and the views are stunning.

Seeing a whale breach  or  bears or eagles is just something that has to be experienced.

Edited by AlanF65
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

Not sure if you bought  a zoom package but the Key has priority ifly and north star. It was on sale as low as 19.95 for our sailing, not sure when you are leaving but the benefits are early on and off the boat which may help at the port, the Lunch at Chops  and carry on drop off to your room. Its not the best solution but it would guarantee availability. If I had had the Key I would have been off early, made my flight and saved about $500 in changed flight and other costs for being late.

I think on our cruise everyone that wanted on got on but we had more seas days and more port days. You could look at the key and see if makes sense, then cancel 4 days out if ifly reservations pop open.

Its a beautiful ship with lots to do and if you are persistent I think you will get on. Maybe if you come back from an excursion between when you get back and dinner it might be open

The enormity of the the inside passage when you head south out of Dawes glacier you can see coast line with snow capped mountains  for hundreds of miles  on both sides of the ship and to the aft.

Best of luck and hope you enjoy your cruise. Alaska is majestic and the views are stunning.

Seeing a whale breach  or  bears or eagles is just something that has to be experienced.

Thank you so much. We didn’t get the Key although it was tempting. It is sold out. Like you, I have received so much great advice. I appreciate it. As frustrating as this has been, I am confident now that we will be successful in getting on as much as possible. I have no doubt Ovation and Alaska will not disappoint.