snorkeling coco cay

I don't know what the beach is called now, but we snorkel off the first beach you encounter after going across the bridge and turning to the left.  There is a reef out there.

South Beach does not have good snorkeling.  When you get off the ship and the dock, turn left and go over the new bridge.  Find the snorkel hut and go down to the beach.  You will see the opening between the 2 rock areas.  Head out there, then after you snorkel there (which is the best area) go right to the far right buoy by the far right life guard.  That is where the sunken plane is.  Then start heading to shore to the next buoy.  That is where the sunken ship is.  Awesome snorkeling out there, better than many places we go to.  For us, it is to get out there early and snorkel before everyone else is out there.  So we snorkel about 9 am and then we are good for the day and chill at the beach right below where the snorkel hut is

• Like 1

I had the best snorkel experience ever at Coco-

Last year we were the first off the ship and as we got to the beach the lifeguard said there were manatees close to the beach-we ran to the water and there they were-we swam with them for an hour-just watching and they didn't mind. It was the beach near the snorkel hut. We were very blessed that day!

Edited by harry0
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, karena1 said:

South Beach does not have good snorkeling.  When you get off the ship and the dock, turn left and go over the new bridge.  Find the snorkel hut and go down to the beach.  You will see the opening between the 2 rock areas.  Head out there, then after you snorkel there (which is the best area) go right to the far right buoy by the far right life guard.  That is where the sunken plane is.  Then start heading to shore to the next buoy.  That is where the sunken ship is.  Awesome snorkeling out there, better than many places we go to.  For us, it is to get out there early and snorkel before everyone else is out there.  So we snorkel about 9 am and then we are good for the day and chill at the beach right below where the snorkel hut is

Totally agree , if your not doing the tour, get out there early before the more people and tours gather and crowd the spots. 

Snorkeled there for the first time back in April and for the first hour I was the only one at the various spots, was really fun! Also it’s a decent workout depending on tides since the spots aren’t that close to each other.

37 minutes ago, suesnake2002 said:

I thought i read here that area,plane and boat, are past the roped area. And only accessible by tour??

I may just swim pass buoys😉, what are they going to do about it?

4 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

LOL, just kidding, but really you have to take a snorkel "tour" to see the wreck!   Filthy lucre always prevails.

Surprising that they would rope off that area,  it's not as interesting to us as the reef area.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

I don't know what the beach is called now, but we snorkel off the first beach you encounter after going across the bridge and turning to the left.  There is a reef out there.

And a sunk plane.  😉 

Though it was really placed there to add to the delight of snorkelers.  Googled:

This is the chance of a lifetime to see an airplane on the bottom of the sea, resting at just 3 to 5 meters, or 11 to 15 feet, deep. This is yet another artificial wreck purposely placed underwater to develop into a thriving reef for divers and snorkelers to enjoy, and you will see plenty of gorgeous fish here, along with parts of the fuselage and wings.

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, island lady said:

And yell at you if you bring your own equipment and don't rent a life vest from them.  😞 

Maybe it's changed since Perfect Day, but the last time we were out there, they were not charging extra for the life vests.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Maybe it's changed since Perfect Day, but the last time we were out there, they were not charging extra for the life vests.

Oh that's good.  Loved that area as the best for snorkeling...but stopped taking my snorkel gear when we got yelled at for not having one.  I dislike those goofy vests, I bob like a cork in the ocean...don't need a vest. 😉 

1 minute ago, island lady said:

Oh that's good.  Loved that area as the best for snorkeling...but stopped taking my snorkel gear when we got yelled at for not having one.  I dislike those goofy vests, I bob like a cork in the ocean...don't need a vest. 😉 

We ended up buying vests anyhow.  I'm not a strong swimmer, so it's like a security blanket for me.  My wife is like you and would rather not wear one at all.

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

We ended up buying vests anyhow.  I'm not a strong swimmer, so it's like a security blanket for me.  My wife is like you and would rather not wear one at all.

I can't do scuba diving...I don't sink.  😮 😄 

We went snorkeling in May and took our own gear. They will let you have a vest free of charge, however we did see a few people out there without one. They did inform us that the plane was no longer accessible but I did not ask if this was temporary or not. Saw a  good size sting-ray while we were there. 

Just now, belmontcrew said:

We went snorkeling in May and took our own gear. They will let you have a vest free of charge, however we did see a few people out there without one. They did inform us that the plane was no longer accessible but I did not ask if this was temporary or not. Saw a  good size sting-ray while we were there. 

I don't think the plane is a big deal, it's not like it's a 747 down there.  It's a small plane they said they sunk there as a novelty.

• Like 2

What "vest" are you guys referring to?  The small thin one that you blow in to inflate that I usually see snorkeling excursions use?   I was just going to use one of the pool vest to go out to the reef.  Would employee not let me take the pool vest?

I was looking forward to seeing the plane (24 more days!!!).  Don't wanna pay an excursion though.  Not really a "Perfect Day" then...without forking over more $$.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dude_hdt said:

What "vest" are you guys referring to?  The small thin one that you blow in to inflate that I usually see snorkeling excursions use?   I was just going to use one of the pool vest to go out to the reef.  Would employee not let me take the pool vest?

I was looking forward to seeing the plane (24 more days!!!).  Don't wanna pay an excursion though.  Not really a "Perfect Day" then...without forking over more $$.

The pool vests for children are only for use on the ship, not to be taken ashore.

3 minutes ago, dude_hdt said:

What "vest" are you guys referring to?  The small thin one that you blow in to inflate that I usually see snorkeling excursions use? ...

Yes, that one.