Queens Grill or Veranda Restaurant

TV Dad

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

Reply 16.

edit and I'm sorry you think me rude but I'm just sticking up for the staff as this is the third time you have omitted to mention the fact you were told about off menu requests.

You can only stick up for the staff that served you on your cruises it doesnt say everybody else gets the same service at other times or on other ships as you have no experience if you were not on the ship at the time.

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Sorry I cannot let this go and respond as I have not had a memory failure as you rudely stated. Yes he came once and said was everything OK and did we have any special requests. Unbeknown to us being our first time that we could order off menu and could request items that were not on the menu i.e. caviar etc. or special meals and he never indicated of anything we could order and we made a point of telling him it was our first time in QG hoping that he could help us with information unfortunately he did not. The food that we were served was exceptional but we ordered all items on the menu and occasionally pre ordered items that were on the menu but you had to order in advance. With regards the waiters they were no better than what we have received in Britannia on QM2 and if anything annoying because they kept trying to second guess what we wanted for breakfast because we had it the previous day without thought that we might want a change which we did but still they did it.

Agree, we found queens grill to be no better than a diner at home in cramped very ordinary room with mediocre food and service at best. Certainly no luxury experience.

First and last time on Cunard for us.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

You can only stick up for the staff that served you on your cruises it doesnt say everybody else gets the same service at other times or on other ships as you have no experience if you were not on the ship at the time.

I said in a reply to you personal experiences will differ, QE regular, different staff etc but my point to you about staff which  I have now made three times is about the member you continually slight by inferring he omitted to give you the QG spiel.  To ignore the fact you were told about special requests once could be called an omission. The third time is giving a false impression.
Can't put it plainer than that I'm afraid.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, orchestrapal said:

Agree, we found queens grill to be no better than a diner at home in cramped very ordinary room with mediocre food and service at best. Certainly no luxury experience.

First and last time on Cunard for us.

We still and enjoy cruising with Cunard but not in QG I would for a special occasion consider booking PG depending on price but certainly dont think it is worth the extra money for a QG. Of course this is only my opinion and do not want to upset the regular QG cruisers.

I've been upgraded to Queens Grill but will be not making full use of it due to my Mom being in Brtittania we plan to join her most evenings. But we will be trying out Queens Grill for the first couple of nights 14th and 15th July as our Son is doing the short Southampton to Liverpool trip so he and his girlfriend will sit with Mom then. We are vegetarian so my plan was to ask for the cooks to make us a vegetarian Indian meal One night and a nut roast in pastry with veg, and roast potatoes the next day. Do you think that's OK to ask?

Can you get Heinz beans(or other good baked beans not the usual rubbish ones served on Cunard) in QG? for breakfast on good thick wholemeal toast.? (not the usual rubbish thin weak bread served on Cunard) Can you get a good cup of coffee in QG not the usual rubbish etc?

15 minutes ago, Liberal_Baggie said:

I've been upgraded to Queens Grill but will be not making full use of it due to my Mom being in Brtittania we plan to join her most evenings. But we will be trying out Queens Grill for the first couple of nights 14th and 15th July as our Son is doing the short Southampton to Liverpool trip so he and his girlfriend will sit with Mom then. We are vegetarian so my plan was to ask for the cooks to make us a vegetarian Indian meal One night and a nut roast in pastry with veg, and roast potatoes the next day. Do you think that's OK to ask?

Can you get Heinz beans(or other good baked beans not the usual rubbish ones served on Cunard) in QG? for breakfast on good thick wholemeal toast.? (not the usual rubbish thin weak bread served on Cunard) Can you get a good cup of coffee in QG not the usual rubbish etc?

The coffee in QG was dreadful as well as cold. I managed on double espressos and my husband on the tea bags, not good for the price.

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 1:17 PM, Stella1250 said:

Hey TV Dad, I am on the Hamburg to Kiel portion this July 13th. I am also looking forward to Peking Duck. I hope they have three of them on board!  As for the Wagyu, I could probably do without that. I went to Japan last year, and the Kobe knocked my socks off.

Stella -- Let's all meet for a drink one night in the QG lounge one night. 

1 hour ago, Stella1250 said:

Sure, what night are you thinking of? How about Wednesday the 17th before dinner? Perhaps 6:30 or 7:00 PM?

1 hour ago, TV Dad said:

Stella -- Let's all meet for a drink one night in the QG lounge one night. 

If you don't think me rude , I'll also be on same cruisr

5 hours ago, Stella1250 said:

Sure, what night are you thinking of? How about Wednesday the 17th before dinner? Perhaps 6:30 or 7:00 PM?

4 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

If you don't think me rude , I'll also be on same cruisr

Okay! It's a date!  It's the first formal night! We'll all look fairly sharp.... Let's meet in the Queens Grill Lounge at 7:00. 

BTW: My name is Don. My wife's name is Jeanne. And we're from Florida. . . 

Stella, I'm guessing your name is Stella. What's your husband/partner's name?

Windsurfboy … where are you from?

Actually, my name is Anita. My husband is Roger and we are from NYC. We will see you guys in QG lounge at 7. All gussied up! We will be the couple in Black and White LOL

Edited by Stella1250

• 3 weeks later...

Just got off the Queen Victoria. Yes, I could order anything on or off the Queen's Grill menu. The head waiter encouraged it!

That included dishes offered in the Veranda. I ate a lot of caviar and chatueabriand  & lobster!

• Like 1

On 7/2/2019 at 1:59 PM, Windsurfboy said:

Sorry forgot  about the Wagyu beef (how could I ) so it's 3 off menu meals in 14 days.

I'm really surprised that they limited you to a certain number of requests, surely this isn't usual?

4 minutes ago, Glenndale said:

I'm really surprised that they limited you to a certain number of requests, surely this isn't usual?

I don't think this was a limit imposed by the ship, merely what the poster was intending to order?

By coincidence our table was next to TVDad,  he should be  named Caviar king, it was great to see someone enjoying their food. We had a lot of fun, a wicked sense of humour.

I didn't order off menu till day 3 morning,  partly because I liked what was on the menu, partly to see if anyone told me I could. Neither Maitre D or head waiter said anything about special requests. So if it it wasn't for this forum I would never have known.

But once I ordered the first item they then came every morning with menu and asked if I wanted anything special. I actually found the  menu items a bit old fashioned so I was  glad to be able to order off menu, Peking duck on our Chinese night was great. Ordered off menu roughly every other night, but could have done every night. Checked PG menu  a few times identical to QG, so wording off menu is the difference between the restaurants

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Did you have the Wagyu beef ?

Not in the end , except for the Peking duck and a Italian night where I did have veal, osso bucco,   I stuck to fish  . Also towards the end of the cruise when i was planning to order Wagyu beef for our last gala night I wanted lighter dishes as I was having 4 courses evety night so was by this time too full for a steak.

I also had a very nice seafood pasta,  had lobster whenever i didn't fancy the starters on the menu. A few times i had a combination of starters as a light alternative to a full main course.  Had souffle most nights as I don't like cold deserts.

Going back to Wagyu beef However I'm sure I could have it. They certainly found every fish we wanted. Once they knew I liked to tweak the menu were happy to oblige.  

I'm on the QE in November will order the Wagyu beef early on before I get to full.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2019 at 1:14 PM, Windsurfboy said:

By coincidence our table was next to TVDad,  he should be  named Caviar king, it was great to see someone enjoying their food. We had a lot of fun, a wicked sense of humour.

Actually, WindsurfBoy, my wife is the caviar fanatic. I just facilitated. 😋 We ordered at least one thing off the menu every night. Often it was caviar. Lobster, Dover Sole, Chateaubriand, veal parmesan, French onion soup, etc.. They were really quite accommodating.

There were food items. common in America, that are not available on board. A-1 Steak Sauce and raw horseradish come to mind. But, all in all, the culinary world of Cunard was open to us.  I don't think I would cruise Cunard, again, without dining in the Queen's Grill. It was that wonderful!

And how great it was to share meals with a fellow Cruise Critic! WindSurfBoy and his wife were perfect dining companions. I suggest all cruise critic readers try to arrange a meet and greet on board. 

TVdad, great to hear from you, hope you have many happy  cruises in the future. I agree about the fun of ordering  off menu 

We are now on a diet getting ready for  two weeks in Portugal  and then next cruise,in November, when I'm definitely having the Wagyu beef early on before I get too full  

I hope those who stayed on for Iceland are surviving the Gale thats hitting the UK and Ireland