Norwegian worst customer service on the 7 seas

waytoodeep03

5 hours ago, MitzyG said:

I can top that one...another cruise line.  It's 9pm at night.   The newsletter for the next day's events is supposed to be delivered to the room by 8pm.    It's not there.  I want to go to bed but I also want to know what's happening the next day.   I go to the front desk, figuring they have a copy.    Nope...I don't see it.    I wait in line and nicely ask "Could I have today's newsletter? Mine didn't arrive."   The guy rudely points the pile of old newsletters.   I said "No, what about the one that was supposed to be delivered TODAY, it didn't arrive"   He then lectures me on what day it is, where we JUST were and that he showed me "today's" newsletter.   I said "Fine, give me TOMORROW's newsletter"    He says "Well, if that's what you wanted, you should have asked for it".   And note...every encounter with diff folks at that front desk was similar.

Bottom line - every cruise ship has its rude folks.   Every cruise has moments of lack of service, moments when passengers are rude, staff are rude etc.   1) Every ship has it, you can't escape and 2) If you focus on these things, it'll be really hard to have a "good cruise".   If you accept that there are a few rude moments, but overall, you had a good time, you'll have a better memory of the experience and a have a better cruise.

So he gave you EXACTLY what you asked for and HE is rude?

Sometimes I feel that people on here don’t realize that English is usually the crew’s second or even third language.  Also, while NCL has fantastic crew members, sometimes what one views as rude (a short curt answer), others view as helpful.  

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Kingkonig said:

Sometimes I feel that people on here don’t realize that English is usually the crew’s second or even third language.  Also, while NCL has fantastic crew members, sometimes what one views as rude (a short curt answer), others view as helpful.  

Also, people need to understand that the crew are human. As such, they're going to have days where they aren't at 100%. I'm sorry you had a bad experience OP, but 1 or 2 less than perfectly friendly crew members out of several hundred is hardly "the worst customer service on the seven seas."

As an example, let's take a look at my trip to Disney World in May. When I had dinner at Spice Road Table in Epcot (a meal which would have run me $68 if I didn't have a dining plan mind you), I had one of the most inattentive servers I have had in years. And not just at WDW. Anywhere. Now, I could use that encounter to blast Disney's customer service. Or... I could step back, realize that I had an amazing interaction with literally every single other cast member on property and see that it was a personal problem, not a company problem. 

• Like 2

When my daughter and I sailed on the Pearl a couple of years ago, she struck up a friendship with a young woman from eastern Europe who told her that what always amazes her is how Americans always say "Please and Thank you" for everything.  She said "If you ask for something and I give it to you, the transaction is over, no need to continue this conversation".  We were both amazed (not that it's changed how we ask for and appreciate things!)  I guess my point is that different cultures have different ideas of what is polite or not...and people of all cultures work on every ship.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, clevercruiser said:

Carnival, Celebrity, Cunard, Crystal, er...🤔

Nope. It's the Independence, the Oasis, the Symphony, the Anthem, the Encantment, the Allure and the Rhapsody.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, waytoodeep03 said:

That would be the breakaway to be specific. Ive never experienced such rude staff in all my years of cruising as I have on the breakaway. 

Staff is rude. They dont respond when asked a question. My wife and i asked a young lady what exactly is the ice bar and her literal response was "what does it look like". My wife was ready to jump across the podium at this woman. 

I literally watched a bartender argue with a customer over a drink. Got in the customers face as if he were going to fight. How did this happen? Is there anything that can be done to better this situation on Norwegian?

People pay good money to go on vacation to relax. Not to be at odds with staff. 

sorry you had such a bad experience with the Breakaway. We did not have that, though I do think some NCL ships have better and more friendly crew members than the Breakaway. That being said, we have run into some pretty rude crew members on other cruise lines as well. 

Was this your first NCL cruise? Don't judge an entire line by a few jerks.  

Our experience with rudeness on any ship has more to do with rude passengers, not rude crew members. On our only Breakaway cruise that is exactly what we had: 2254 kids running all over the ship, bad weather and very rude passengers I can understand why there were some crew members that were not very pleasant.  

8 hours ago, Twipenne said:

Nope. It's the Independence, the Oasis, the Symphony, the Anthem, the Encantment, the Allure and the Rhapsody.

I don't think so.  I'm pretty sure the Seven Seas reference is to all the oceans.  It's an old saying.

Edited by ColinIllinois
  • Haha 1

Years ago  my husband went swimming in a chlorinated salt water pool (do they do that anymore?)

on a different line's pool. He opened his eye underwater and instantly

felt burning in his eyes and they turned red. He went to the ship's doctor that told him he was STUPID

for opening his eyes and what did he expect. Yup...Happens all the time. We still had a great cruise.

Edited by Peachypooh

My own observation is that there is far far more rudeness on the part of passengers than there ever is from staff.  Sometimes it is kinda funny to see how angry some people are throughout their whole cruise.  

• Like 7

I have stepped in to defend staff from passengers. One of whom accused a girl at customer services of swearing at him and demanded her sacked. I told the manager who appeared to defuse the argument the only person whom I heard swearing was the bloke at the poor girl. I also added that I thought the girls professionalism in face of this abuse was a credit to the cruise line and should be rewarded. 

Outcome was the bloke was asked to leave customer services, and the wife and I received a lovely bottle of wine sent to our room from the hotel director thanking us for our kind words about his team. 

I really feel some cruisers treat the staff very rudely, Just because you are on a cruise does not entitle you to treat the crew or anyone else for that matter as rubbish. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

sorry you had such a bad experience with the Breakaway. We did not have that, though I do think some NCL ships have better and more friendly crew members than the Breakaway. That being said, we have run into some pretty rude crew members on other cruise lines as well. 

Was this your first NCL cruise? Don't judge an entire line by a few jerks.  

Our experience with rudeness on any ship has more to do with rude passengers, not rude crew members. On our only Breakaway cruise that is exactly what we had: 2254 kids running all over the ship, bad weather and very rude passengers I can understand why there were some crew members that were not very pleasant.  

I agree with you on different ships.  We cruised the GA out of Miami last summer and while the crew did their job and didn't seem rude they weren't what we've come to expect for NCL crew members.  Our steward left a lot to be desired and we ended up not tipping any extra, which is a first for us.  We thought maybe it was a Miami thing.

44 minutes ago, thistimeplease said:

I agree with you on different ships.  We cruised the GA out of Miami last summer and while the crew did their job and didn't seem rude they weren't what we've come to expect for NCL crew members.  Our steward left a lot to be desired and we ended up not tipping any extra, which is a first for us.  We thought maybe it was a Miami thing.

We almost didn't tip anything extra on our last cruise which was the Dawn.They usually have the best service at sea. Actually we did tip because our cabin steward was very friendly, but I expect she was new plus the language barrier was unbelievable. I will say, she was very appreciative of the tip. She thanked us a couple of times. We have had other stewards that never said a word. 

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 9:18 AM, waytoodeep03 said:

That would be the breakaway to be specific. Ive never experienced such rude staff in all my years of cruising as I have on the breakaway. 

Staff is rude. They dont respond when asked a question. My wife and i asked a young lady what exactly is the ice bar and her literal response was "what does it look like". My wife was ready to jump across the podium at this woman. 

I literally watched a bartender argue with a customer over a drink. Got in the customers face as if he were going to fight. How did this happen? Is there anything that can be done to better this situation on Norwegian?

People pay good money to go on vacation to relax. Not to be at odds with staff. 

One more couple who will never cruise NCL again!!!

(Good, less people to drive up the prices).  :classic_tongue:

• Like 2

Just remembered something. One embarkation day a gentleman in front of me in line had forgotten his hat at home.

He asked the woman in the gift shop if she sold bucket hats. She had no idea what that was.

He kept repeating louder and louder bucket hat bucket hat. Truth be told I didn't know what one

was either. Anyway I moved next to him and I looked right at his face and gave him a look that said "you are out of line"

and he sheepishly put his head down and walked away. Not a word was exchanged.

• Like 1

I happen to know what an ice bar is from experience. I also know what each place on my ship is because I've studied the deck plans and done my research. Below is how the ice bar is on the Breakaway (if google is correct). There is a door to the right. So, you can't "see" into the bar. If this woman hadn't researched the ship, if she doesn't follow pop culture, it may very well have been a valid question. That's plenty of ifs...The "tone" of the question has a lot to do with the responses we get also. A snide "What is an icebar, anyway" vs. a "You probably get this quite often, but may I ask what is involved in an icebar". I agree though that the response of jumping over the podium is extreme. I simply would have replied, "I am unfamiliar with the concept, could you please educate me?"

Capture.thumb.PNG.4c6e29a3097b58c3b1c1cc849fbe523f.PNG

5 hours ago, ColinIllinois said:

I don't think so.  I'm pretty sure the Seven Seas reference is to all the oceans.  It's an old saying.

I'm pretty sure the comment re ship names was in Jest.  

That said..

In Greek literature (which is where the phrase entered Western literature), the Seven Seas were the Aegean, Adriatic, Mediterranean, Black, Red, and Caspian seas, with the Persian Gulf thrown in as a "sea." 

In Medieval European literature, the phrase referred to the North Sea, Baltic, Atlantic, Mediterranean, Black, Red, and Arabian seas. 

After Europeans 'discovered' North America, the concept of the Seven Seas changed again. Mariners then referred to the Seven Seas as the Arctic, the Atlantic, the Indian, the Pacific, the Mediterranean, the Caribbean, and the Gulf of Mexico.

Not many people use this phrase today, but you could say that the modern Seven Seas include the Arctic, North Atlantic, South Atlantic, North Pacific, South Pacific, Indian, and Southern Oceans.

• Like 1