No wine as prizes at M&M

Currently sitting in the M&M on Jewel.  

They have been told not to give out wine as prizes any more. 

Very small attendance so my raffle ticket 🎟 may have won a bottle !!!

Has this spread to other ships? 

Is this a start to phasing out M&Ms due to lack of interest? 

1 hour ago, little britain said:

I dont go unless there is a huge roll call

Roll calls are also dying 

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, little britain said:

Haven't seen wine given in the last few ourselves.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dewaldcruiser said:

My experience over the last five years is that M&M is less promoted, less attended and less supported than it was ten years ago.  Not sure why though.

Takes time for the crew to set up and run, consumes space, have to send out invites that aren't always accurate.  The informal meets at one of the bars on day 1 have always been more fun and better to meet people.

• Like 6

Our Roll call for our August Baltic in 41 days only has 9 pages (about 225) posts.  Still no daily activity.  Last count I Seen for the MM is 37.  I'm glad we passed the 25 but 37 still seems low for a sold out ship.

Anyway, I'm sure we will still meet many great people on board, as the few that are participating in the roll call are a very nice bunch.

I attribute this low post count to the fact that I figure there are lots of European guests that might not participate in and English forum.

dp

Edited by dpostman

I think the roll calls here are dwindling as many people are on other social media groups.  I’ve taken to reading the roll calls of other sailings as my current one is still sadly at only 4 pages and less than 60 days away.

I am guessing that since there are really only 4 or 5 people posting on our roll call not many people will actually show up to the M & M. I’m not naming the specific one because I’m not trying to shame anyone, just commenting on how it is. 

It seems like its a combination of lack of interest and also the lack of invitations being sent out. Last two times on Symphony we had to ask for the time as we didn't receive an invitation.

4 minutes ago, dpostman said:

Our Roll call for our August Baltic in 41 days only has 9 pages (about 225) posts.  Still no daily activity.  Last count I Seen for the MM is 37.  I'm glad we passed the 25 but 37 still seems low for a sold out ship.

Anyway, I'm sure we will still many great people on board, as the few that are participating in the roll call are a very nice bunch.

I attribute this low post count to the fact that figure there are lots of European guests that might not participate in and English forum.

dp

Hopefully your roll call has arranged for an informal meet.

Also, lets not forget that the last forum site "revamp" would probably discourage many new possible forum member from joining or at least, regulary participating in the forum.  Had the forum looked like this when I first joined up, I probably would not have stuck around.  But now that I'm hooked, I just deal with it as is and hope it will get better.

dp

• Like 2

Just now, Host Clarea said:

Hopefully your roll call has arranged for an informal meet.

I'm just waiting til we get closer to sail date and if it is not done yet, I'll propose something.

dp

It's also very difficult for people to sign up for the M and M now, the links don't seem to work for many people. On our May cruise many on our roll call could not sign up with the current link on here, we kept posting an old link which seemed to work better for most. I don't know if there is any way to get Cruise Critic to change the link.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dpostman said:

Also, lets not forget that the last forum site "revamp" would probably discourage many new possible forum member from joining or at least, regulary participating in the forum.  Had the forum looked like this when I first joined up, I probably would not have stuck around.  But now that I'm hooked, I just deal with it as is and hope it will get better.

dp

Yes, the last forum change didn't help roll call participation.

• Like 1

They had wine on the Grandeur, in fact tons of it. DH and several others won a bottle during the M&M; since neither of us drink wine, I was trying to give it away (as was one other  “wine winner”). As it is so inconsistent across ships, maybe it is determined more by the opinions of the activities director than any actual policy?

M&M - we have had issues with some people not getting invites and missing for that reason alone. While I know that nothing will change, it would be so helpful if we had a working message system here at CC to make organizing those informal gatherings easier. DH and I enjoy getting to know others cruisers from CC, it would really be a loss to not have the meet and mingles.

Edited by 2Beeze
  • Like 3

With Facebook cruise groups and others, 

now so popular , 

Cruise Critic is not the only game in town . 

I can remember roll call groups with thousands of posts . 

Royal is not interested anymore . 

Time and money . Should Royal provide Meet and mingle for Facebook group and Cruise Critic group and all other groups . 

Meet and Mingles can still occur though, 

but activities may have to be organized on  own In the future . 

Good luck . 

Edited by ssb

2 hours ago, kernow said:

Did they say what the reason was? Are they still giving other prizes? Maybe it's just a stingy hotel director:classic_biggrin:.

There was wine on Indy in May.

Sadly it isn’t the fabulous Peter as HD any more.  It shows.  

The 2 prizes ( yes that’s right ...2) were a cellophane wrapped biro/ highlighter/ bag and magnetic photo frame.   I didn’t win 😢 

there was wine on Explorer in May... the one and only time I ever win it!!

1 minute ago, kochleffel said:

No wine given at ours today and only about half of those who signed up attended.

Did they at least have some snacks and punch?

No wine on ours on Navigator in November 2018. In fact the only decent prizes on offer were some handcrafted seapass holders made by another member of the roll call. Everything else was just the cheap logo items.

On Serenade in December 2017, there was a bottle of white, a bottle of red, and a bottle of bubbly as the top prize. We actually won that, which was fitting as we were celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary on board :classic_biggrin:, but we don't drink... We would happily have opened it at dinner to share with our tablemates but it turned out they were non-drinkers too! :classic_laugh:

In the end we left it for our cabin steward. 

1 minute ago, yogimax said:

Some may also remember that there was a time when they gave gifts (e.g. RC note pads) to everyone who attended.  That has stopped.

Yes, I remember that, and it was great because they were on a string and the idea was you wrote your screen name on them and hung them round your neck so folks could put faces to the names they'd been chatting with online before the cruise.

4 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Some may also remember that there was a time when they gave gifts (e.g. RC note pads) to everyone who attended.  That has stopped.

Yep, I remember that.  Stopped about the same time they stopped giving C&A gifts to everyone.