Diamond for Dummies

I will finally reach diamond this year and would appreciate some information from you seasoned travelers!

I usually buy the drink package (Side note: I did get the $18 drink package for three  2020 sailings...woohoo!). I’m unclear on what I will receive as diamond.

1.Three drinks a day that can be used anytime at any bar? In main dining room? Is this in addition to the drinks in the diamond lounge?

2. Is there a diamond lounge on every ship? Does it get crowded? I vaguely remember a table mate leaving the MDR to get his free drink at the lounge and he said he waited a long time.

3. I’m guessing most diamond and above do not get the drink package?

4. Anything else you might suggest that I take advantage of?

Unlimited drinks in the Diamond Lounge during the free drink period.  Additionally, 3 drinks at any bar or restaurant during that same free drink period.

There is a DL on every ship except Empress and Majesty.

Diamond balcony discount is another perk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Suzyq52 said:

I will finally reach diamond this year and would appreciate some information from you seasoned travelers!

I usually buy the drink package (Side note: I did get the $18 drink package for three  2020 sailings...woohoo!). I’m unclear on what I will receive as diamond.

1.Three drinks a day that can be used anytime at any bar? In main dining room? Is this in addition to the drinks in the diamond lounge?

There are unlimited free drinks in the Diamond Lounge during Happy Hour which is usually 4:30 - 8:00 or 5:00 - 8:30, depending on the MDR meal times. You will have 3 free drinks loaded onto your Sea Pass every day that you can use at any bar, including the MDR, only during the Happy Hour times. They are not valid all day long.

2. Is there a diamond lounge on every ship? Does it get crowded? I vaguely remember a table mate leaving the MDR to get his free drink at the lounge and he said he waited a long time.

I am not a big drinker but will typically have a drink or two before dinner and then a couple more after dinner. I have bought the drink package in the past but have found that with the Happy Hour drinks, I no longer needed to spend the money on a drink package.

As Bob mentioned, the balcony discount is another valuable perk.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Suzyq52 said:

Diamond drinks are limited to the posted happy hours, which generally align with traditional dining times.  Typically it begins one hour before first seating and ends at the time of second seating, thus most ships are either 4:30 to 8 or 5 to 8:30.

Diamond drinks are limited to the list of permitted booze.  No frozen or blender drinks.

New Diamond Drink List 2019.jpg

• Thanks 1

Outside of the Lounge, where you can have as many drinks as you like while there,  there are three daily vouchers on your SeaPass card. Most bars will honor them (during the same happy hours).  (a few exceptions:  Rising Tide on Harmony and Symphony, for example).  Data gathered here on CC seem to indicate that all ships now honor the vouchers in the main and specialty dining rooms.

You were already eligible for the balcony discount since you were Platinum; it merely increases with each tier level.

Your onboard "coupon" offers as Diamond:  

diamond benefits letter Mariner 11-2018.jpg

On the above list, you get a free 24 hour period of internet.  It is 24 hours from when you first use the coupon, so plan on how you use it, like start it at 6 pm after a port day that has a sea day following it.  You wouldn't want to start it at 10am on a port day that you are off the ship all day.  If you have a SO you travel with, you each get a 24 hour period, so two well timed coupons give you the better part of 4 day usage.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Former Diamond member here, we eventually moved up, and we never got the drink pkg until the 'glitch'

It does appear that many Diamond and up do get the pkg, though

Welcome to Diamond status. Just a few more years to Pinnacle😀

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ashland said:

When and what "glitch" ?

Monday afternoon/evening when the Deluxe Beverage Package was mistakenly on sale for $18 per person per day for cruises from Feb thru December 2020.  Now fondly known as Beveragegate😇🍸

Edited by molly361
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Monday afternoon/evening when the Deluxe Beverage Package was mistakenly on sale for $18 per person per day for cruises from Feb thru December 2020.  Now fondly known as Beveragegate😇🍸

Good times next year

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Darn....I'm taking the extended family (with 6 adults) and I would have jumped on that for our May 2020 on HOTS.

I am one of those Diamond's who do still get the package..... sometimes.   I find it is only worth it if there are 3 or 4 sea days depending on cruise length and itinerary (such as Labadee or Coco Cay, as the package works there too).   Also need to factor in dining time, if you dine late then you probably will get enough freebies from the DL and then at dinner.  

If you dine early, or chose to dine early through mytime you will miss out on a good chunk of DL time.   

3 minutes ago, CRUISEFOUR said:

Can the diamond balcony discount be combined with the BOGO50 and flash sale discounts?

Cannot be combined with the flash sale ("instant") discount.

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

Cannot be combined with the flash sale ("instant") discount.

Yesterday I repriced my JS for May 2020...got my D+ discount BOGO50 and saved $352.00 over when I had booked in January. Didn't get the flash sale but oh well.

9 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Yesterday I repriced my JS for May 2020...got my D+ discount BOGO50 and saved $352.00 over when I had booked in January. Didn't get the flash sale but oh well.

Yep, just another way they have to diminish C&A perks.

14 minutes ago, Suzyq52 said:

Thank you all for responding. Helps a lot! An additional question...is the diamond lounge only open during the “free drink” time? 

And there's a coffee machine too, although I am not sure what the operating hours of that are.

3 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

And there's a coffee machine too, although I am not sure what the operating hours of that are.

Those are usually 24/7 as well but many times it could be out of ingredients and staff only fix it during certain hours.