Are Lobster and Filet Mignon served in the MDR?

VPMJ

Hi! We will be on our first NCL cruise next month on the Breakaway. Is lobster or filet mignon served in the MDR one night? DH is asking because if we use our Fine Dining Promo credits, he does not want to miss lobster or filet mignon in the MDR. We have mostly cruised Carnival and they have those one night. Thanks in advance!

5 minutes ago, Jldevlin said:

No sorry ....not on NCL ...

OK, thanks, that's what I thought and I just needed clarification in order to proceed with our planning. Which specialty dining options are recommended for Lobster and Filet Mignon? I would assume Ocean Blue and Cagneys?

1 minute ago, VPMJ said:

OK, thanks, that's what I thought and I just needed clarification in order to proceed with our planning. Which specialty dining options are recommended for Lobster and Filet Mignon? I would assume Ocean Blue and Cagneys?

I can only speak to Cagney's for Steaks.  They have both a 5 oz and an 8 oz filet that I find generally excellent.  (Just my opinion of course.) 

I haven't been to Ocean Blue (my cruise buddy thinks "fish" is a tuna fish sandwich), so I can't speak to the Lobster there.  I think you can search this site and find both the Cagney's and Ocean Blue menu's here.

Enjoy your cruise.

MD

• Like 2

Your hubby can order a strip steak every night in any of the main dining rooms, but no filet.

Lobster has almost disappeared from NCL menus. I think it may be available in Ocean Blue on Breakaway. Ocean Blue is a specialty restaurant that used to have an up charge if used with a dining package but I think that has changed. The lobster will still be an additional upcharge even with a dining package if it's available. 

I was last on Breakaway in January. Changes have happened since then so Im sure someone else will give you more updated info.

• Like 1

Just now, Mike D. said:

I can only speak to Cagney's for Steaks.  They have both a 5 oz and an 8 oz filet that I find generally excellent.  (Just my opinion of course.) 

I haven't been to Ocean Blue (my cruise buddy thinks "fish" is a tuna fish sandwich), so I can't speak to the Lobster there.  I think you can search this site and find both the Cagney's and Ocean Blue menu's here.

Enjoy your cruise.

MD

Thank you! Now the big task will be securing reservations around shows!

2 minutes ago, Paul Bogle said:

Your hubby can order a strip steak every night in any of the main dining rooms, but no filet.

Lobster has almost disappeared from NCL menus. I think it may be available in Ocean Blue on Breakaway. Ocean Blue is a specialty restaurant that used to have an up charge if used with a dining package but I think that has changed. The lobster will still be an additional upcharge even with a dining package if it's available. 

I was last on Breakaway in January. Changes have happened since then so Im sure someone else will give you more updated info.

Good to know, thanks!!

2 hours ago, VPMJ said:

Hi! We will be on our first NCL cruise next month on the Breakaway. Is lobster or filet mignon served in the MDR one night? DH is asking because if we use our Fine Dining Promo credits, he does not want to miss lobster or filet mignon in the MDR. We have mostly cruised Carnival and they have those one night. Thanks in advance!

Ocean Blue has it for an additional upcharge if you are using a dining package. NCL did away with lobsters in August 2017. There are still a couple of places you can get them (Ocean Blue and the raw bar (chilled lobster). 

2 hours ago, Paul Bogle said:

My 7 year old was looking forward to lobster on our upcoming cruise (for his birthday no less).  I just told him there would be no lobster.  His response:  what kind of cruise IS this ???!!!    I mean, he has been on a grand total of Zero cruises & has had lobster a grand total of Zero times in his life but the indignation is 100%.

• Like 4
  • Haha 11

2 minutes ago, Paul Bogle said:

OUCH....Wait till he's a teenager.

My mom would call that payback.  She prayed for me to have a kid just like me.  Only problem is he started early...I at least waited til 13.  LOL.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Not sure why mom would tease a 7 year old about not having lobster. Nothing said, and the kid would have never missed it. Training the next generation of Cruise Critic complainers. 

100 % this kid won't even remember anything about lobster come cruise time  & as he was busy building his fort when the conversation took place, there's a good chance he doesn't remember it now.

We were on the Breakaway a few months ago.  We enjoyed getting the Lobster Roll at Ocean Blue's walk-up window on Deck 8.  It was only available on 'At Sea' days from noon to 2pm.  I think it was about $10.   

For us land-locked folks, that Lobster Roll is something we look forward to😎

@VicRock  WOW!!! He sounds like a future CC contributor!!  😂

Maybe he's been watching the Love Boat...I remember they did show the folks dining on lobster...

Cagneys had lobster the last time we were on Getaway in April & Breakaway last October.  

The Garden Cafe has a seafood themed night & they sometimes will have a dish with lobster chunks.  Also lobster bisque soup.

Have a great cruise!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, VPMJ said:

NCL stopped serving Lobster in the MDR a few years ago. It wasn't great Lobster anyway. 

14 hours ago, VicRock said:

My 7 year old was looking forward to lobster on our upcoming cruise (for his birthday no less).  I just told him there would be no lobster.  His response:  what kind of cruise IS this ???!!!    I mean, he has been on a grand total of Zero cruises & has had lobster a grand total of Zero times in his life but the indignation is 100%.

out of the mouth of babes!!!!

On the Pearl a few weeks ago the Food and Beverage person told us the reason they don't serve lobster anymore is "they prefer to leave it in the sea where it belongs" and "other cruise lines serving 4 ounce rubbery tails are doing a disservice and they refuse to compromise". He also took a poll of the audience to see who eats lobster at home and used that as a point to say people don't eat it at home, they don't need it here. The whole thing was funny. 

13 minutes ago, Wheeling TravelingMom said:

On the Pearl a few weeks ago the Food and Beverage person told us the reason they don't serve lobster anymore is "they prefer to leave it in the sea where it belongs" and "other cruise lines serving 4 ounce rubbery tails are doing a disservice and they refuse to compromise". He also took a poll of the audience to see who eats lobster at home and used that as a point to say people don't eat it at home, they don't need it here. The whole thing was funny. 

Do they also leave fish and shrimp in the sea, where they belong? 🙄

I assume the guy was being sarcastic, right?