Alaska cruise visa documents needed?

bumorgan

I'm going on a Alaska cruise with my wife of 4 years. She has a permanent green card and a Colombian passport. We are leaving from Seattle and coming back to Seattle. I want to take her on the Yukon tour which enters Canada. Will I need any sort of Canadian Visa. I know if you fly into Canada she would need a visa. Thanks.

5 minutes ago, bumorgan said:

I'm going on a Alaska cruise with my wife of 4 years. She has a permanent green card and a Colombian passport. We are leaving from Seattle and coming back to Seattle. I want to take her on the Yukon tour which enters Canada. Will I need any sort of Canadian Visa. I know if you fly into Canada she would need a visa. Thanks.

I would think she would need the same regardless of how she enters Canada.

When we rented a car and drove into Canada from Skagway they were pretty through at the border.

We have also taken the Princess tour and the bus stopped at the same Port of Entry.

1 minute ago, Colo Cruiser said:

I would think she would need the same regardless of how she enters Canada.

When we rented a car and drove into Canada from Skagway they were pretty through at the border.

We have also taken the Princess tour and the bus stopped at the same Port of Entry.

Not exactly true. I have a UK passport and a US green card. I don’t need a visa to enter Canada by cruise ship, or by land, but I need an ETA (electronic travel authorization) if I want to enter Canada by air.

4 minutes ago, polmcs said:

Not exactly true. I have a UK passport and a US green card. I don’t need a visa to enter Canada by cruise ship, or by land, but I need an ETA (electronic travel authorization) if I want to enter Canada by air.

Thanks, best for the OP to get correct info from somewhere other than the internet.  🤔

Maybe Princess or The Canadian Gov't?  

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, bumorgan said:

In all honesty ..  I would suggest you address this with Canadian authorities for a more official read 

3 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Thanks, best for the OP to get correct info from somewhere other than the internet.  🤔

Maybe Princess or The Canadian Gov't?  

I’d trust the Canadian government (pretty sure that if there isn’t an oxymoron statement in there, then tautology is in play! 😉 ) more than I would Princess. We took an Alaska cruise out of Seattle one year with a stop off in Victoria and Princess were insistent that I needed a visa to enter. I finally put them right.

1 hour ago, bumorgan said:

She has ... a Colombian passport.

Visa requirements are based upon the country of passport:

https://www.migrationexpert.ca/canadian-embassy/colombia

This is an interesting site:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp

It says a Greencard holder doesn't need a ETA or VISA, but then when you click on the link, it says that Columbian citizens need a Visa, with no discussion about USA Greencard Holders.

You may need an eTA, depending on how you travel to Canada

If you drive a car or arrive by train, bus or boat

You don’t need an eTA, but you need to bring the right travel documents. You don’t need a visitor visa either.

Visitors to Canada

Identification requirements for United States citizens and permanent residents, and international visitors

All international travellers must carry acceptable identification and a valid visa (if necessary) when entering Canada. A passport is recommended because it is the only reliable and universally-accepted travel and identification document for the purpose of international travel. International transport companies, such as airlines, must make sure that travellers have proper, valid travel documents. If you do not have the proper documents, you may be delayed or unable to board the plane. What you need will depend on where you are from, how you are travelling, and what documents you are travelling with. Consult entry requirements by country.

When you enter Canada, a border services officer will ask to see your passport and a valid visa, if you are arriving from a country for which one is required. Visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website to learn more about what travel documents are required.

Citizens of the U.S. who are members of the NEXUS program may present their membership card as proof of identification and as a document that denotes citizenship, when arriving by air (when coming from the U.S.), land, or marine modes.

Citizens of the U.S. who are members of the FAST program may use their cards as proof of identity when arriving by land and marine modes only.

Permanent residents of the U.S. who are members of the NEXUS or FAST programs must travel with a passport and proof of permanent residence, and may be asked to present these documents to the officer upon arrival at the border.

Permanent residents of the U.S. who are members of NEXUS also need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) when flying to or transiting through Canada. Citizens of the U.S. and Canada are exempted.

All visitors arriving from or transiting through the U.S. are encouraged to visit the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website for information concerning the U.S. Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, and the requirements to enter or return to the U.S.

This site is more definitive. Bring her Passport and Green card (which you need anyway to re-enter the USA). No ETA required for car/boat:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=593&top=16

Edited by richmke

3 hours ago, bumorgan said:

3 hours ago, bumorgan said:

No, if she has a Permanent Resident Card, she will not need a Canadian visa. What will be done is when you check in the person who will check her in will take the green card and her Colombian passport, make a copy of them and the copy will be retained and provided to the ship and her green card and her passport will be returned to her. The only time she will need those 2 documents will be if she goes on the train out of Skagway that goes back into Canada. That will be the only time she will need those documents. She will not need them to get off in Victoria.

While I usually say that you should check with an official site on questions like this, I do check-in for Princess every week and I know that she does not need a Canadian visa if she has a "green card" to go with her Colombian passport. If she didn't have a "green card" she would definitely need to have a Canadian visa to even get onboard the ship!  But, just so you can check for yourself, here is a link to the Canadian government site that covers this subject.  Look at the top of the document where you'll find the heading "Visa Exempt."  Look at the next-to-last item in that list where it says " United States, lawful permanent resident of "

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/entry-requirements-country.html

Tom

Edited by Pierlesscruisers
  • Like 1

These types of questions on a CC forum always amaze me.  And the responders are also "amazing" offering their experiences.  

The only factual answer can come from the Canadian or US governments, respectively.  Their websites are usually clear on these visa matters.  If not, a call will provide a definitive answer.  Taking the "word" from a poster on CC and then claiming at an immigration official that you followed the "policy" from someone on CC is a non-starter.  And doing so can get you really in a pickle with immigration.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Globehoppers said:

These types of questions on a CC forum always amaze me.  And the responders are also "amazing" offering their experiences.  

The only factual answer can come from the Canadian or US governments, respectively.  Their websites are usually clear on these visa matters.  If not, a call will provide a definitive answer.  Taking the "word" from a poster on CC and then claiming at an immigration official that you followed the "policy" from someone on CC is a non-starter.  And doing so can get you really in a pickle with immigration.

But it was verified by the required 3 posters who don't know each other.  🤔