Back to back Question

We are sailing on the Epic Western Mediterranean 9/29 and 10/6. We are platinum. Are we entitled to the extra specialty dining vouchers that come with each sailing on both legs of our trip? We have 2 different reservation numbers but are in the same cabin.  Also, what happens in Barcelona on turnaround day? Thanks

We have done this same itinerary many times.  There will be a meeting for those doing B2B cruises and you will receive a letter in your stateroom advising you of the location/time.  It is usually the last sea day of the first leg of the cruise.  Platinum vouchers will be delivered early in the "second" leg of the journey for the second leg of the trip.  You will of course NOT have to pack as you are booked in the same cabin.  We have done it both ways in that we have had to walk OFF of the ship - only to go into the terminal for a very short period of time (customs etc) and right back on the ship and also did a tour in that port.....

It is truly a wonderful feeling to see everyone packing up, standing in line to disembark....and they you get to walk off of the ship knowing that you have another week onboard!

• Like 2

Booked as a true B2B all the perks bonus bennies are separate for each leg.

Unused vouchers can't be used on the 2nd leg - Platinum Latitudes booze

however you can of course keep - make a note to talk with your cabin attendant

to get your next leg ration and not confuse it with the previous.

Also cover any special requests - your cabin may not need the full enchilada detailing

for the turn.

The Muster Drill is still a requirement !

Depending on the turn around port you may be able to stay on board - the procedure

is all explained the letter delivered to your cabin - other ???s inquire at Guest Services.

I would disagree, more often than not if you turn up to the muster drill for the second leg of a B2B your name is not on the list.  I have found that if there is more than 10 days between embarkations, yes, you have to go, less than 11 no.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, casofilia said:

I would disagree, more often than not if you turn up to the muster drill for the second leg of a B2B your name is not on the list.  I have found that if there is more than 10 days between embarkations, yes, you have to go, less than 11 no.

The two B2Bs that I have been on - I and my party were fully accounted for no missing data names.

Show up check in even if your name is NOT on the list/manifest have them make a note of it and attend the drill.

Not so much an issue if you are in the same cabin - remaining at the same life boat station.

Changing cabins location may require a new life boat assignment - don't go to your former station.

Don't fail to attend or make your appearance accounted for - the crew will be looking for you.

Failure to attend the drill requires a make-up session - sometimes at an inconvenient time.

Just now, dbrown84 said:

If you buy alcohol during the first leg, can you get it on the last night of the first leg?  Then you could drink it during the second leg

You should not post questions like that giving away secrets - damn I hate that when that happens !

YES this can be done.

Sort of an expensive drink having to take a cruise to have a bottle(s) available on the 2nd cruise. LOL !

• Haha 1

You  get the Platinum benefits-   per cruise.   So,  you'll  get the usual  2 vouchers per cruise.    A great option for Barcelona touring is to head to  Montserrat,  simple to go independently cheaply.   Or, join a free walking tour (tip based),  multiple options.   Or any of other countless enjoyable activities.      Don't waste your day-  enjoy Barcelona.    

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, jjjct said:

Doing B2B, but my booking only has 1 reservation number. Is it still considered 2 cruises and will I receive Platinum perks for each leg of the cruise?

It's unusual to have one booking number for two cruises. Did you book with a TA? Perhaps your single number is associated with the TA not the cruise line.

26 minutes ago, jjjct said:

Doing B2B, but my booking only has 1 reservation number. Is it still considered 2 cruises and will I receive Platinum perks for each leg of the cruise?

The most likely reason for you just having one reservation number from NCL for a B2B would be because they are also offering the cruise as a single option as well, and that is what has been booked.

For example, they often do alternating 7 night itineraries in the Eastern Med, which can also be booked as a single 14 night cruise. Have you booked something like that?

If so then you should just get one set of platinum perks. However, you never know. When we did that cruise a few years ago we got them for each leg anyway which we weren’t expecting, and others who had sailed a few weeks previously didn’t.

2 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

The most likely reason for you just having one reservation number from NCL for a B2B would be because they are also offering the cruise as a single option as well, and that is what has been booked.

For example, they often do alternating 7 night itineraries in the Eastern Med, which can also be booked as a single 14 night cruise. Have you booked something like that?

If so then you should just get one set of platinum perks. However, you never know. When we did that cruise a few years ago we got them for each leg anyway which we weren’t expecting, and others who had sailed a few weeks previously didn’t.

Thanks for your response, you are always a wealth of info! There are no 27 day offerings from Peepete to Auckland showing on NCL website, I just did a cruise search and they are coming up individually. Showing a 17 day and 10 day which is what i booked with a TA, but showing as one cruise of 27 days.

Do you know if B2B usually show 2 booking numbers/itinerary.

I guess I will have to check with my TA to confirm. Being Platinum with NCL, I want to make sure we get the extra laundry and 2 extra dining perks for the second leg of the cruise. 

9 hours ago, jjjct said:

Thanks for your response, you are always a wealth of info! There are no 27 day offerings from Peepete to Auckland showing on NCL website, I just did a cruise search and they are coming up individually. Showing a 17 day and 10 day which is what i booked with a TA, but showing as one cruise of 27 days.

Do you know if B2B usually show 2 booking numbers/itinerary.

I guess I will have to check with my TA to confirm. Being Platinum with NCL, I want to make sure we get the extra laundry and 2 extra dining perks for the second leg of the cruise. 

It's odd if you have just one reservation number when they are only offered as separate cruises. As someone else stated above, you are referring to the NCL reservation number and not one from your TA?

Are they shown as separate cruises in myncl? If so then I would say you are fine regardless of reservation numbers. Given the length of the cruises, and the fact that they aren't offered as one cruise, I'd say there is a good chance you would get the latitudes stuff twice anyway.

Just now, CruisinNewbie11 said:

I have done it 3 times and have done a back to back to back same cabin, never got off the ship, only one muster.  Things could have changed but this occurred for me in March, 2019.  

I have done back to backs in the same cabin and not had to do another muster drill. I have also had to do them. On one famous occasion I attended 4 muster drills in 5 days.

It isn't that something has changed, but like most things when it comes to back to backs (whether you get latitudes benefits repeated, whether you need to get off the ship, whether you need to attend muster) it depends on a number of factors and one persons experience, even if repeated, doesn't mean that others will experience the same.

If your turnaround port is in the US you will be required to disembark.  US Customs and Border Protection procedures require a "zero count" of passengers on the ship before they will permit embarkation to begin.

Outside the US you are often not required to disembark.

As far as the muster drill is concerned, I can't figure out when it's required and when it's not, and when I asked a hotel director about it he didn't know either. 😄

Edited by njhorseman

We did a 14-day back to back cruise in the Caribbean in 2016.

We booked it as a “14 Day East and West Caribbean (Back to Back)” on NCL’s website, where it was offered as a back-to-back sailing, under a single reservation number. 

I could have booked the two cruises separately: the sailing consisted of an 8-day East Caribbean cruise followed by 6-day West Caribbean cruise, both from Miami, both of which were separately bookable on NCL’s website.

I booked as a combined itinerary, because I wanted us to have the same cabin—and that worked out well, since we wound up upselling to a suite, and we had that for the entire 14 days.

We were told to attend the muster drill on both sailings, and we did. Honestly—I would just ask at Guest Services, and do what they tell you to do. All the ship’s services are closed during the drill anyway, and for us it was kind of fun (“hey, we’re doing this again!!!”)

We weren’t platinum during that sailing, so I can’t speak to whether you get a laundry bag on both legs, but it’s very possible—we got a bottle of the sparkling wine on both legs, and that’s a Latitudes perk, so that means other Latitudes perks might repeat for both.

We did have to get off the ship. We were given a sticker that said something along the lines of “still on vacation”. We could have gone to a small room where we could wait to re-board once the ship was cleared by customs, but we chose to spend the day in Miami Beach. 

5 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

It's odd if you have just one reservation number when they are only offered as separate cruises. As someone else stated above, you are referring to the NCL reservation number and not one from your TA?

Are they shown as separate cruises in myncl? If so then I would say you are fine regardless of reservation numbers. Given the length of the cruises, and the fact that they aren't offered as one cruise, I'd say there is a good chance you would get the latitudes stuff twice anyway.

Gets even odder. On myncl there is one reservation number, showing the 10 day cruise which is the second B2B? When I click on view reservation the entire 27 day trip shows up. No where is it showing the 1st 17 day cruise individually. There is only one online check in for the entire 27 day cruise. I have company this weekend and my TA doesn't work weekends, so I think I will call NCL on Monday. Don't really care how it's set up as long as we get the Latitude perks for each leg of the cruise. Unless you think there is any other benefit for having them show as individual bookings.

I will also ask on the cruise roll call, many of whom are also doing B2B, some even doing 3 and 4 B2B.

3 hours ago, dcipjr said:

We did a 14-day back to back cruise in the Caribbean in 2016.

We booked it as a “14 Day East and West Caribbean (Back to Back)” on NCL’s website, where it was offered as a back-to-back sailing, under a single reservation number. 

I could have booked the two cruises separately: the sailing consisted of an 8-day East Caribbean cruise followed by 6-day West Caribbean cruise, both from Miami, both of which were separately bookable on NCL’s website.

I booked as a combined itinerary, because I wanted us to have the same cabin—and that worked out well, since we wound up upselling to a suite, and we had that for the entire 14 days.

We were told to attend the muster drill on both sailings, and we did. Honestly—I would just ask at Guest Services, and do what they tell you to do. All the ship’s services are closed during the drill anyway, and for us it was kind of fun (“hey, we’re doing this again!!!”)

We weren’t platinum during that sailing, so I can’t speak to whether you get a laundry bag on both legs, but it’s very possible—we got a bottle of the sparkling wine on both legs, and that’s a Latitudes perk, so that means other Latitudes perks might repeat for both.

We did have to get off the ship. We were given a sticker that said something along the lines of “still on vacation”. We could have gone to a small room where we could wait to re-board once the ship was cleared by customs, but we chose to spend the day in Miami Beach. 

Thank you for the info. I don't really care if we have to do the muster again but I will check with guest services. We are in the same cabin on both cruises and we have an Aft suite for the first time ever, non Haven. 

We plan to get off the ship, we will be disembarking in Sydney, Australia and want to spend the day seeing as much as we can. It will be nice not having to pack up anything!

I think the sparkling wine is also a suite perk also. Do you remember what other perks come with the suite? I know butler does. Were you able to eat breakfast and lunch in Cagneys.

2 hours ago, jjjct said:

Thank you for the info. I don't really care if we have to do the muster again but I will check with guest services. We are in the same cabin on both cruises and we have an Aft suite for the first time ever, non Haven. 

We plan to get off the ship, we will be disembarking in Sydney, Australia and want to spend the day seeing as much as we can. It will be nice not having to pack up anything!

I think the sparkling wine is also a suite perk also. Do you remember what other perks come with the suite? I know butler does. Were you able to eat breakfast and lunch in Cagneys.

Check with your concierge—that’s one of your perks. They’ll be able to tell you whether you need to do the muster drill again.

Since you’re in a suite, you’ll have a butler, and a suites-only breakfast and lunch restaurant. When we were on the Gem, breakfast was in Moderno and lunch was in Cagneys, but the exact location will depend on the ship. You’ll have priority seating, priority embarkation and disembarkation—which will come in handy on that turnaround day when one leg of the B2B ends, and the other begins. You’ll also have priority tendering, if any ports tender.

I’m sure I’m forgetting some perks, but suffice it to say I think you’ll be quite comfortable for the duration of your cruise! Enjoy!

1 hour ago, dcipjr said:

Check with your concierge—that’s one of your perks. They’ll be able to tell you whether you need to do the muster drill again.

Since you’re in a suite, you’ll have a butler, and a suites-only breakfast and lunch restaurant. When we were on the Gem, breakfast was in Moderno and lunch was in Cagneys, but the exact location will depend on the ship. You’ll have priority seating, priority embarkation and disembarkation—which will come in handy on that turnaround day when one leg of the B2B ends, and the other begins. You’ll also have priority tendering, if any ports tender.

I’m sure I’m forgetting some perks, but suffice it to say I think you’ll be quite comfortable for the duration of your cruise! Enjoy!

Expounding on the perks - depending on the level of the - suite - Haven suite - Owners Suite - Deluxe Owners Suite

or Garden Villa even more services that can requested. The OS DOS and Garden Villa have alcohol provided separate

from any UBP and the mixings soft drinks and on some ships*** the show seating is reserved and of prime viewing/location.

*** exception for POA (local state laws)

If paying more or the most - one should expect more or the most of the services offered.

On most ships the suites have a ships cell phone for the guest to contact the Butler or Concierge for

occasions that may arise.