Will a balcony cabin sleep 3 single adults?

Have never cruised NCL.    Cabin for 3 single women.  Looking at cabin photos, it looks like a balcony cabin has a bed and pull out sofa.   Will the bed split to 2 twin beds and sofa pull out to sleep an adult?  Or, do I need to go to a higher category?   Looking at New England - Canada cruise round trip from NYC.

Also in general, overall how does NCL compare to Princess?

Thanks.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

My sister in her 60's and two other ladies did a 12 night med cruise in a balcony cabin and said the pull out sofa bed was very uncomfortable even with one of those toppers you can get from the cabin steward.  This was on the NCL Star ( believe). They rotated who got the sofa bed so they all had to experience.  Most, but not all beds split to two twins.  Have your TA or PCC confirm for you.  Ask for the mattress topper and extra pillows.

Good luck!

The bed should separate. The sofa; depending on ship, is super super tiny. You could fit a child on it and maybe a tiny adult but not comfy for the week. It doesn’t pull out. My young kids actually ask to sleep on the floor instead!  But if you get a balcony room that sleeps 4 there should be a Pullman in ceiling. Still tight for an adult but doable.

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

The beds will separate in a balcony. And the size of the sofa bed depends on the ship. But the room (designated for 3 passengers) will sleep 3 comfortably. 

They are three “mature” women.  Overweight.    I don’t think any of the 3 would be able to climb a ladder to a bunk bed/Pullman.

Thank you!  

Edited by Kingofcool1947

1 hour ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

They are three “mature” women.  Overweight.    I don’t think any of the 3 would be able to climb a ladder to a bunk bed/Pullman.

Thank you!  

Which ship?

It would be easier to find a picture to show you the sleeping arrangements for 3 if we knew which ship.

Nobody will need to climb a ladder.  

Looks like you will be doing C/NE on the Dawn soon - most of the balconies have a Queen bed - formed together with two single beds.  The 3rd. person will sleep on the convertable sofabed - yes, foam padding is thin, ask for foam toppers, maybe an extra one or use a comforter on top, to sleep on.  

Call NCL & ask them to note your reservation to split the beds apart - in case your Room Steward forget or didn't get around to do it ... just inform & ask that be done on embarkation day - should be easily taken care of, somehow - on a busy turnaround day.  

Here's a similar (older) picture of what the sofa bed looked like on the Dawn/Jewel class ships - the deco on the refurbished Dawn is pretty good.  

If the balcony can sleep 4, then, there's a bunk or upper pullman - otherwise, it's WYSIWYG

A side note - there are no USB ports by the beds; and only one (1) USA 110v outlet, one (1) Euro 220v outlet and a third UK 220v outlet in the stateroom. 

SDC10170.JPG

Edited by mking8288

19 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Which ship?

It would be easier to find a picture to show you the sleeping arrangements for 3 if we knew which ship.

Nobody will need to climb a ladder.  

Breakaway, Pearl, or Encore.   Roundtrip from  New York City. Three single unrelated mature female adults who are on the larger side.  Would an adult sleep comfortably on the sofa? It is a pullout sofa bed, correct?

Thank you.

I guess you have to think about what their goal is.  If it is to get a better price, then maybe they try to tolerate t all of them in the same balcony cabin.  Maybe they switch off who sleeps in the pull-out.  If it saves them money, and they only had to sleep their maybe twice/three times, but had a wonderful, affordable cruise, it may be worth it.  Otherwise, maybe they should look into each getting a solo cabin.  This way, they would all have their privacy and comfort.  As far as moving up in cabin choice, many of the haven area beds, as far as I know, do not separate.

You can't judge the furniture from a 2011 photo as the whole ship was re-done - including all furniture  and beds. That said they should split into two beds. We were in a two bedroom suite on the Dawn and the sofa was fine for both sitting and sleeping.

The sofa/loveseat bed in a balcony room is a miserable experience. Hard as a rock, and very small. Even an egg crate doesn't help much. It's also very low to the ground, so hard to get in and out of. I think if you can rotate so the same person doesn't get that torture chamber every night it might be ok, but I wouldn't recommend it.