Teens and CocoCay Water Park

9 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

My point is, a 16 year old can handle themselves perfectly fine, and arguably better than a 6 year old. 

That is your opinion. Maybe YOU are a mature 16 year old or 17 years 11 months old  - that can handle themselves perfectly fine, but that is not the case for many 16 year olds. Or 17 year olds. In the eyes of the law you are still a child until you reach 18 years old. Even then, certain activities liking drinking alcohol are still out of reach until you are 21 years old. For whatever reason, there are always going to be rules that are set based on the maturity level of an age in general - NOT specific to an individual. 

You can complain here on CC until you are blue in the face but nothing will be done to change the rule. Perhaps if enough people are unhappy about this rule the adults can make a comment on the survey they receive from RCI at the end of the cruise. Even then, as long as RCI continues to sell enough tickets to Thrill Park under the current rules, they have zero incentive to change them.

1 minute ago, cello56 said:

That is your opinion. Maybe YOU are a mature 16 year old or 17 years 11 months old  - that can handle themselves perfectly fine, but that is not the case for many 16 year olds. Or 17 year olds. In the eyes of the law you are still a child until you reach 18 years old. Even then, certain activities liking drinking alcohol are still out of reach until you are 21 years old. For whatever reason, there are always going to be rules that are set based on the maturity level of an age in general - NOT specific to an individual. 

You can complain here on CC until you are blue in the face but nothing will be done to change the rule. Perhaps if enough people are unhappy about this rule the adults can make a comment on the survey they receive from RCI at the end of the cruise. Even then, as long as RCI continues to sell enough tickets to Thrill Park under the current rules, they have zero incentive to change them.

That's what is so messed up with companies, and quite frankly, this world. Stereotyping.

8 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

That's what is so messed up with companies, and quite frankly, this world. Stereotyping.

What do you have when you have a room full of attorneys up to their waists in concrete??? -  A concrete shortage:classic_laugh:

As long as attorneys outnumber the number of rational people in this country, there is no escaping (or circumventing) a company's reluctance to tempt fate.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2019 at 7:08 AM, jbethel11 said:

If you can name a single parent, besides yourself, who would rather be observing a kid waiting on long lines for hours over drinking and relaxing on the beach, then I will drop my argument.  

That statement alone is enough of an argument for me to not pay for the kids to go. They would just have to suffer on the part of the island that is included in the cruise fare. As long as people are willing to pay the rule will never change.  

21 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

Liability for what, though? On the ship's waterpark, only a waiver needs to be signed, adults are not required to supervise their children. Same should apply to Thrill Waterpark.

It probably has something to do with on the ship the slides are a small part of the ship and wouldn't sway the overall risks of liability on a ship. But for an island where it's either beaches or this big waterpark suddenly it's a huge part of what's being insured and therefore has a huge weight to the risk factors. 

A ship and a waterpark are entirely different entities so the way insurance companies handle them would be entirely different. 

2 hours ago, cello56 said:

Because teaching your kids to lie when they don't like a rule is always the best solution! 

RCI has set the rules. You either agree to abide by them, and use the water park, or you don't agree with them and don't use the water park. It is really pretty simple. Whether this is a money grab or a supervision/safety concern is really inmaterial. It is the rule set out by the owner of the facility. 

I look at it as a financial lesson on how to save $$. Kids are born liars. They do that without being taught. It's a natural instinct to survive. 

29 minutes ago, cello56 said:

BS it’s obviously about the money. I live in a big nanny state, with one if the most dangerous water parks (used to be called action park, but was referred to at traction park). 12 and up don’t need supervision. Is there a amusement park where those under 18 need a parent? Most of the rules on cruises are much more lax than on land (like 1 am curfews for those under 18).

4 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

BS it’s obviously about the money. I live in a big nanny state, with one if the most dangerous water parks (used to be called action park, but was referred to at traction park). 12 and up don’t need supervision. Is there a amusement park where those under 18 need a parent? Most of the rules on cruises are much more lax than on land (like 1 am curfews for those under 18).

The age at my local water park is 13. 

17 hours ago, blueridgemama said:

16 year olds can and do make terrible choices

So do adults. Example being giving your social security or credit card number over the phone and wondering how your identity was stolen and your maxed out on a credit card. I read and hear about those stories everyday. 

19 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

So do adults. Example being giving your social security or credit card number over the phone and wondering how your identity was stolen and your maxed out on a credit card. I read and hear about those stories everyday. 

My FIL sent money to get his grandson out of a Mexican jail...

How do you prove age at the waterpark? We are planning on going on a cruise for my daughter's 18th birthday. The Coco Cay day will be the day after her birthday. How can we prove that she is 18 without her passport? She looks young.

7 minutes ago, Leeannpal said:

How do you prove age at the waterpark? We are planning on going on a cruise for my daughter's 18th birthday. The Coco Cay day will be the day after her birthday. How can we prove that she is 18 without her passport? She looks young.

They will swipe her card.

1 hour ago, jbethel11 said:

Liability for what, though? On the ship's waterpark, only a waiver needs to be signed, adults are not required to supervise their children. Same should apply to Thrill Waterpark.

Exactly.  The rules on the ship should extend to the island.  If they can use the ship's waterslide without adult supervision, the same should extend to the island.

You climb the stairs, board the slide and slide down.  What is at the end of the slide, a few inches of water?  

Swimming is a different story.  I would never let my kids swim without adult supervision - but I have no concerns about them going down a waterslide.

For those parents who are cry foul when RCI requires them to purchase tickets to watch their children at the water park, I say these are the parents who cry the loudest when their "perfect" child is injured by RCI's supposed negligence and they are nowhere to be found .

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Chloesimon said:

For those parents who are cry foul when RCI requires them to purchase tickets to watch their children at the water park, I say these are the parents who cry the loudest when their "perfect" child is injured by RCI's supposed negligence and they are nowhere to be found .

They will cry whether they get hurt watching them or not and the ambulance chaser attorney will arrive before the ambulance.

42 minutes ago, Queen of Oakville said:

Exactly.  The rules on the ship should extend to the island.  If they can use the ship's waterslide without adult supervision, the same should extend to the island.

You climb the stairs, board the slide and slide down.  What is at the end of the slide, a few inches of water?  

Swimming is a different story.  I would never let my kids swim without adult supervision - but I have no concerns about them going down a waterslide.

My kids started taking the train to the beach at 14 with their friends. I just beg them to park themselves in front of the lifeguards.

44 minutes ago, Queen of Oakville said:

Except the water park includes a wave pool...so that means swimming and therefore supervision by your own standards. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

My kids started taking the train to the beach at 14 with their friends. I just beg them to park themselves in front of the lifeguards.

My 14yo daughter takes the ferry to Fire Island with her friends. I heard through the grapevine that my sister was horrified. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

They will cry whether they get hurt watching them or not and the ambulance chaser attorney will arrive before the ambulance.

Kinda like the situation where the family is STILL claiming the toddler fell out an open window frame in a children's play area..... they were in the news cycle again yesterday, and their own pictures were showing tables and chairs, but they still call it a "play area".  :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

Kinda like the situation where the family is STILL claiming the toddler fell out an open window frame in a children's play area..... they were in the news cycle again yesterday, and their own pictures were showing tables and chairs, but they still call it a "play area".  :classic_rolleyes:

The difference here is that we are signing activity waivers.

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

I saw that  You are holding a child and it falls to it's death. How is standing by a water slide going to prevent your child from getting hurt?

2 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

1 hour ago, dcgrumpy said:

My 14yo daughter takes the ferry to Fire Island with her friends. I heard through the grapevine that my sister was horrified. 

1000's of  preteens and teens ride the NYC buses and subways to get to school. 

1 minute ago, Iamcruzin said:

1000's of  preteens and teens ride the NYC buses and subways to get to school. 

Yes. I grew up in Queens and started riding public transportation on my own at 10 or 11. If I hadn't moved to LI, my kids would be doing the same. 

• Like 1