Teens and CocoCay Water Park

10 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

Although I see your point, I just find it as a ploy for RCI to make more money. I just hope RCI includes a bar in the area and a place to sit like on the beaches. 🙄

So if it is just to make more money so what. Their ship, their island, their rules. 

All the Disney parks and water parks work the same way. You pay to get in regardless of whether or not you ride anything. Universal and Sea World do the same. This isn’t a unique concept. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, BeachChik said:

So if it is just to make more money so what. Their ship, their island, their rules. 

All the Disney parks and water parks work the same way. You pay to get in regardless of whether or not you ride anything. Universal and Sea World do the same. This isn’t a unique concept. 

So true. Have taken the grande to Great Adventure many times without going on a single ride and still paid full price. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

They should also have a cheaper pass for adults that are just watching their kids but not using the rides.  Atlantis offers this as do several other major water parks. 

I do not think this is correct (at least it definitely wasn’t correct at Christmas when I went to Atlantis with a 14 and 9 y.o. on a Royal excursion) 

16 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

I think this is a ridiculous way for RCI to get money. They knew that kids would be the sole user of the Thrill Waterpark, so they followed what Atlantis (their closest competition) did.

I appreciate your sentiment and don’t like that I will have to pay full price when I accompany my granddaughter at Coco Cay in a couple weeks. But as a business person I can tell you that you explained Royal’s logic exactly and it is solid even if you disagree with it...

Edited by vidsmart

56 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

There is a huge difference between the supervision of a 6 year old vs. a 16 year old. 

I’ve seen many 16 year olds on cruise ships that need or should have more supervision then 6 year olds. Needing an adult in water park is probably a liability issue. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, blueridgemama said:

16 year olds can and do make terrible choices

And yet they drive, are without parental supervision most of the time on a daily basis in real life, have job, babysit children, go to water parks on land with no parents, go to the beach... And are a stones throw away from being legal adults, to go to college, join the military, move away from home, get married, get arrested and charged as adults...

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, BeachChik said:

But teens can enter Disney parks and water parks without adult supervision.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

And yet they drive, are without parental supervision most of the time on a daily basis in real life, have job, babysit children, go to water parks on land with no parents, go to the beach... And are a stones throw away from being legal adults, to go to college, join the military, move away from home, get married, get arrested and charged as adults...

In fact, some 13 year olds that I know, who attend prestigious high schools that are in a different state, are away from parental supervision for weeks upon weeks!

We were there a couple of weeks ago. It was me, my friend and her 6 year old grandson. We were able to get tickets when they had a sale. We set up for the day at the wave pool. There were tons of chairs and umbrellas. There were restrooms and lockers if you wanted to lock up your stuff. Also right in the water park is a snack shack that served hot dogs, burgers, chicken sandwiches, salads, mozzarella sticks and funnel cake. There was also a bar near the snack shack. I know it doesn't seem fair that you have to pay if you are not going on the slides but it is what it is. We had a great time and would do it again.

Just find someone who is over 18yo who is walking into the waterpark and ask them if your kids can go through the line with them.  

If anyone asks, have the kids say they're going with their cousin / aunt / uncle and point to the adult.

Problem solved.

7 hours ago, brillohead said:

Just find someone who is over 18yo who is walking into the waterpark and ask them if your kids can go through the line with them.  

If anyone asks, have the kids say they're going with their cousin / aunt / uncle and point to the adult.

Problem solved.

Because teaching your kids to lie when they don't like a rule is always the best solution! 

RCI has set the rules. You either agree to abide by them, and use the water park, or you don't agree with them and don't use the water park. It is really pretty simple. Whether this is a money grab or a supervision/safety concern is really inmaterial. It is the rule set out by the owner of the facility. 

• Like 7

Sounds like a great time to go out to the meet&mingle forum and try to set up a "designated adult" solution to the problem. One parent is designated as the "watcher in the water park" and the other parents chip in to buy his/her water park pass for the day.:classic_smile:

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, BeachChik said:

Yes, but the point is some parents don't want to go in. You only have to be 14 to enter a Disney park alone. 

27 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Sounds like a great time to go out to the meet&mingle forum and try to set up a "designated adult" solution to the problem. One parent is designated as the "watcher in the water park" and the other parents chip in to buy his/her water park pass for the day.:classic_smile:

And the result of this is an adult "watching"  a bunch of kids they don't even know???  No thanks

28 minutes ago, dcgrumpy said:

It should be like it is onboard. Over a certain age you just need to sign a waiver and they can use Flowrider, rock wall....

Totally agree.  Why would the rules be different then on the ship?

Just now, mzhibbs said:

Totally agree.  Why would the rules be different then on the ship?

I just don't get why a 17 and 11month year old would have to be supervised by an adult who just turned 18 year old? It's literally less than a month difference of age! 

18 minutes ago, crazyank said:

And the result of this is an adult "watching"  a bunch of kids they don't even know???  No thanks

My presumption was that the designated adult would be a parent whose children were part of the group of children being watched.

10 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

I just don't get why a 17 and 11month year old would have to be supervised by an adult who just turned 18 year old? It's literally less than a month difference of age! 

So if they made the rule 17 years and 11 months, someone else would be posting that they don't understand why a 17 year and 10 month old person had to be supervised.

16 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

So if they made the rule 17 years and 11 months, someone else would be posting that they don't understand why a 17 year and 10 month old person had to be supervised.

My point is, a 16 year old can handle themselves perfectly fine, and arguably better than a 6 year old. 

5 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

My point is, a 16 year old can handle themselves perfectly fine, and arguably better than a 6 year old. 

The company probably has liability insurance that sets age limits.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

The company probably has liability insurance that sets age limits.

Liability for what, though? On the ship's waterpark, only a waiver needs to be signed, adults are not required to supervise their children. Same should apply to Thrill Waterpark.

• Like 1